All Time Thistle Xi

jagscast

That will do for me!

:happy2:

with sandy brown in the team! when i was growing up sandy was my favourite player. he was so courageous. threw himself into a few challenges when he knew the only thing he was gettin out of it was bruises. still done it though. he was a very fast player too, so when he went for these challeneges his momentum gave him a harder whack. still went for it though. if you were his manager and you told him to head butt a wall he would then ask if he done it right. Model professional. Bertie auld paid him the ultimate compliment by saying 'if you asked sandy to run into the on coming traffic on the M8 he would. You would expect him to die but sandy would stop the traffic, thats how good he was.' praise from caeser in my eyes. i loved sandy. i was at an everton game when i was a docker down there and sandy was warming up and i shouted 'hoi sandy.' n he saw my thistle top and he came over shook my hand and he said ' you down seeing me? i'm touched.' i said 'naw mate, just workin down here.' sandy burst out laughin and so did the team mate standing beside him. I heard from my son's pal he is in a nursing home in blackpool, not too well, bit senile and has parkinsons. maybe it's is full blooded nature catching up with him. SANDY BROWN IS A SHOE IN AT CENTRE HALF!

with sandy brown in the team! when i was growing up sandy was my favourite player. he was so courageous. threw himself into a few challenges when he knew the only thing he was gettin out of it was bruises. still done it though. he was a very fast player too, so when he went for these challeneges his momentum gave him a harder whack. still went for it though. if you were his manager and you told him to head butt a wall he would then ask if he done it right. Model professional. Bertie auld paid him the ultimate compliment by saying 'if you asked sandy to run into the on coming traffic on the M8 he would. You would expect him to die but sandy would stop the traffic, thats how good he was.' praise from caeser in my eyes. i loved sandy. i was at an everton game when i was a docker down there and sandy was warming up and i shouted 'hoi sandy.' n he saw my thistle top and he came over shook my hand and he said ' you down seeing me? i'm touched.' i said 'naw mate, just workin down here.' sandy burst out laughin and so did the team mate standing beside him. I heard from my son's pal he is in a nursing home in blackpool, not too well, bit senile and has parkinsons. maybe it's is full blooded nature catching up with him. SANDY BROWN IS A SHOE IN AT CENTRE HALF!

Alas, he had just left Firhill when I was starting to show up.

His goal for Liverpool still remains a thing of beauty!

;)

Alas, he had just left Firhill when I was starting to show up.

His goal for Liverpool still remains a thing of beauty!

;)

aye mate, i saw it lol. was lookin up stuff about sandy there and it showed you a picture from the paper and it said sandy brown and 'jimmy husband.' i sed to love it when the press got our players names wrong. doesnt happen any more though lol

Edited by The Mighty Quinn

My selection:-

Alan Rough

Dave McKinnon Jackie Campbell David Irons Alex Forsyth

Donald Park Ronnie Glavin Alan Hansen Chic Charnley

Mo Johnston Doug Somner

Some random thoughts:-

Although I saw Sandy Brown, David McParland and some of the others stars from that era play, I was too young to make a proper assessment.

Right back has not been our strongest position over the years

I thought David Irons was magnificent when he was converted to a central defender...I'm surprised he hasn't been selected by some of the younger guys on here.

Alan Hansen was the most talented outfield player I've seen for Thistle but Jackie Campbell and Andy Anderson were so good as a partnership that Alan moved forward to midfield for a spell.

Chic would have to teach Donald Park how to keep calm and not get involved in a rammy every week.

The Coulston & Bone partnership gave the '71 side their cutting edge...but MoJo and Somner were better players.

Everyone in my team looked the part in the top division...I always liked watching Scott Paterson, John Flood and Gary Harkins but they excelled in the First Division.

As I've been watching Thistle since 1970....helluva choice, but here goes;

ALAN ROUGH

ALAN KAY ( bet no-one remembers him! )

ALAN HANSEN

JACKIE CAMPBELL

BRIAN WHITTAKER

RONNIE GLAVIN

CHIC CHARNLEY

DONALD PARK

MO JOHNSTON

DOUG SOMNER

DENIS MCQUADE

We might lose a few goals, but hey we would be entertaining :thumbsup2:

• 5 years later...

This has, I would think, been done numerous times since 2011 but I thought I'd bump this because a] I searched "all time Thistle" and this was the only result and b] I can't be arsed trawling through to find a more up-to-date version and c] would be good for all of you old-timers to re-assess your old teams.

My first match was in '97.

Tomas Cerny (2015-Present). Solid throughout his Thistle career. Consistently pulls off incredible saves.

Stephen O'Donnell (2011-2015). A really exciting player to watch during our First Division title win.

Scott Paterson (2001-2003, 2005). Classy. Great on the ball and got us to a semi-final.

Alan Archibald (1996-2003, 2007-2013). Our gaffer has seen it all with us.

Aaron Taylor-Sinclair (2011-2014). Again, great memories from that 2012/13 season of ATS bombing forward.

Chris Erskine (2009-2013, 2014, 2016-Present). Tremendous. Hopeless. Entertaining. Infuriating. All in one match.

David Rowson (2003-2004, 2007-2013). Always appreciated Rowson's role in our team. His last minute goal v Raith Rovers so soon after his father's death remains a sentimental favourite.

Stuart Bannigan (2010-Present). A brilliant engine on him, it's been great to watch him come through our youth system.

Martin Hardie (2000-2003, 2010). Needed to include my childhood favourite.

Mark Roberts (2005-2009). A bright spark through a fairly dull period as a Thistle fan. Met him a couple of years ago and he raves about his time at Thistle.

Kris Doolan (2009-Present). What needs to be said? Legend.

• Like 1

Since 1988

....................Walker

Law....Craigan..........Paterson......Archibald

Craig.....Rowson......Charnley......Harkins

.........Roberts......Britton

Subs:

Nelson, Duffy, S McCulloch, Lennon, A Taylor, McLean, Lindau

Always difficult to compare players over eras and divisions, but I think the Hoor merits his spot despite never playing for us in the top level, he was a close to a one-man team as I've ever seen a Jags side.

Also, right back has been a horrible position for us over the years whereas we've had a series of cult-hero left backs (glossing over Des McKeown for a minute) with either thunderbolt shots (Boab, Pittman, Archie) or mazy runs (Twaddle, Sinclair, even Kenny bloody Milne).

Finally, I'll have forgotten someone totally obvious. It always happens.

Shows how good we've had it in the last nearly 6 years that there's certainly half a dozen candidates for this who either weren't with us or were in the infancy of their Thistle careers. Doolan and Erskine would definitely be in my XI now, O'Donnell as well (the right back issue solved) and Cerny, Banzo, Lawless, Osman and Lindsay would be in consideration for the squad.

First game in 1992...

Nicky Walker

Stephen O'Donnell

Stephen Craigan

Willie Jamieson

Alan Archibald

David Rowson

Ian Cameron

Alby Craig

Chic Charnley

Chris Erskine

Kris Doolan

Subs

Craig Nelson

Gerry Britton

Mark Roberts

James Grady

Danny Lennon

Derek McWilliams

Steve Pitman

I'm not changing mine

Rough

J Hansen

Campbell

McKinnon(Donnie)

Whittaker

Glavin

Charnley

McParland(capt)

McQuade

McBride

Johnston

I do tho' wonder just how great Mark Roberts could've been playing alongside/tucked in behind Mo Johnston or Dougie Somner. He was special as it was playing beside the likes of McConalug. Just a thought.

I'd feel a little odd offering opinions on players I never saw play, so here is mine...

Lindau

Charnley Harkins Lyons

Rowson Lennon

Archibald Craigan Paterson Lilley

Tuffey

Ideally I'd spend longer thinking about it and find another centre back so I could move Paterson forward replacing Rowson.

That can easily be updated. Tuffey?!

Cerny

Archibald

Lindsay

Paterson

RB

Barton

Rowson

Erskine

Harkins

Hardie

Doolan

Should have never left Hardie out first time round. Bannigan misses out to Rowson. Struggling for right back, very tempted to put Elliott there but think O'Donnell and Lilley should maybe be ahead.