All Time Thistle Xi

jagscast

This is my favourites not our best.

Gk - Cerny .. Best goalkeeper I've seen at firhill.

Rb - Anis .. cult hero

Lb - Scott Mculloch .. had to love big Boab, what a left peg

Cb - Stephen Craigen .. Was a great pro

Cb - Paterson .. if he he didn't have injuries he wouldn't have been at firhill absolute class

Cm - Rowsen .. Great player for us

Cm - Jamie Dolan .. was a mascot when I was young and he took time to have wee kick about with me Rip

Lm - erskine .. speaks for its self

Rm - dorrans .. used to like him

Amc - Martin Hardie - big nutter.. will never forget Inverness away when he came on as a sub

Cf - Scott McLean .. was my favourite striker scored goals for fun

That can easily be updated. Tuffey?!

Cerny

Archibald

Lindsay

Paterson

RB

Barton

Rowson

Erskine

Harkins

Hardie

Doolan

Should have never left Hardie out first time round. Bannigan misses out to Rowson. Struggling for right back, very tempted to put Elliott there but think O'Donnell and Lilley should maybe be ahead.

Definitely O'Donnell for me

Definitely O'Donnell for me

Can you mind seeing Lilley play, KJ? My own view would be SOD would be my choice if you're team was set out with attacking full backs. If you wanted an orthodox right back Lilley would be preferable. One thing with Lilley tho' was he was never far away from a red card back then. Later he became master of "gettin' away with it".

Can you mind seeing Lilley play, KJ? My own view would be SOD would be my choice if you're team was set out with attacking full backs. If you wanted an orthodox right back Lilley would be preferable. One thing with Lilley tho' was he was never far away from a red card back then. Later he became master of "gettin' away with it".

LIB, how did this orthodox non-attacking full back find himself arriving at the far post to slot in Ricky Waddell's cross to score a rare winner at Pittodrie?

Edited by partickthedog
  • Like 2

I would only make one change to my selection from 2011 - I commented then that right back had not been our strongest position and went for Davie McKinnon. I would now have Stephen O'Donnell at right back. If Dumbuya could stay fit, he would be a contender.

I would also give a mention to Higgy - for a spell he was sensational but I already have Donald Park & Chic Charnley in my side so the Bampot Quota is filled.

Good point. Last time I saw us win there.

Amazingly, Thistle almost won 3 times in the league at Pittodrie that season, although it may surprise some to realise that Aberdeen were then a bottom 6 outfit.

First time round David Lilley arrived at the far post as above to notch the only goal of the game.

Second time round, same result, as the King of Spain split the defence to send Toastie through.

The fixtures committee conspired to give us a 3rd chance and incredibly we took the lead once more. I cannot recall the score with certainty but think it might have been Toastie Burns again. Sadly Kenny Arthur went walkabout as mentioned in the recent Scott Fox thread to gift an equaliser and we ended up losing 2-1. The only consolation was that results elsewhere that day meant that we had definitely survived in the Premier League for one more season.

GK Alan Rough

RB Davie McKinnon

CB Davie Irons

CB Jim Duffy

LB Brian Whittaker

RM Donald Park

CM Chic Charnley

CM Kenny Watson

LM Kallum Higginbotham

FW Maurice Johnston

FW Kris Doolan

Subs:

Nicky Walker

Scott Paterson

John Donnelly

John Buckley

Colin McAdam

I've probably forgotten over half the players I have seen over the years. I probably want to forget over half the ones I remember too mind you.

I see JAG and one other have given Jim Duffy a mention and I should think so. I remember him as a one man defence with his bald heid under everything that came remotely near our goal. Great player with a massive heart.

My memory of Sandy Brown was similar to what has already been documented - would have run through a brick wall for you.

And Jacky Campbell just went on and on for years and always dependable.

Why did I shut my eyes every time the opposition put in a cross -Alan Rough just stood and watched and principally the reason he didn't get a gig down south. Nicky Walker for me.

Remember with great fondness, too, the season Albert Craig scored all the goals from midfield for us when there were so many good and much lauded midfielders in Scotland failing to match his productivity.

And Chico has been special over the years and the opposition set out to light his blue(should that be "green" ?) touch paper. Remember the time at Ayr that in the first half hour he got kicked cruelly by different players, then got sent off as he lost the rag at getting no protection . But some of those fifty yard diagonal balls and that cheeky smile. Worth the admission alone at that time.

Arthur Duncan caused a lot of heartache to opposition before moving cross country to Hibs. What a pace he had.

I liked Jim Melrose too.

Just some happy memories and, not a team, I know!!