Chic Charnley

Jeehon

Much as he was a cult hero as a player, as a coach / assistant it's a pretty ropey move

Going on his lack of experience in the role and stories I heard about when he was involved under Gerry Collins - where training consisted of running around the pitch then kicking a ball from on side to another i.e. pretty amateur

Having said that could give the club a badly needed lift based on his personality

Charnley to take the kids - where to? the pub!

Chico was a true legend as a player but if he has not done the appropriate coaching courses or gained experience then its a poor decision.

Two things in Charnley's defence.

Firstly guy's that have had a "reputation" as players often make excellent coaches. They know all the dodges, temptations etc.

Secondly as far as I'm aware Charnley has vast experience coaching youngsters in a voluntary capacity (perhaps someone could confirm). There might be a quality issue, I don't know, but he reportedly has a good rapport with the kids.

I'm in no way advocating Charnley as coach as I say don't know whether he's good enough. I just wouldn't be too dismissive.

Guest Argus

Firstly guy's that have had a "reputation" as players often make excellent coaches. They know all the dodges, temptations etc.

Secondly as far as I'm aware Charnley has vast experience coaching youngsters in a voluntary capacity (perhaps someone could confirm). There might be a quality issue, I don't know, but he reportedly has a good rapport with the kids.

I'm in no way advocating Charnley as coach as I say don't know whether he's good enough. I just wouldn't be too dismissive.

Agree with all of that.

Good post.

Charnley to take the kids - where to? the pub!

Chico was a true legend as a player but if he has not done the appropriate coaching courses or gained experience then its a poor decision.

Same could be said for the coaching experience of Donnelly, Maxwell, MacNamara etc

Considering he won't be expensive, won't be distracted by expecting to play(probably...) and won't be ian maxwell, I'm all for charnley's appointment. The effect he'll have on team spirit and instilling a bit more 'thistle' into the players who couldn't manage it at all at the end of the last season must surely mean he's more likely to be a success than ian maxwell or whoever. Imo, it's hard to have full respect of a coach unless they were a better/equal player to yourself, so charnley should be able to hold the attention of most of our players in that regard. Also, I'd like to think he'll have a good influence on ryan macbeth.

Considering he won't be expensive, won't be distracted by expecting to play(probably...) and won't be ian maxwell, I'm all for charnley's appointment. The effect he'll have on team spirit and instilling a bit more 'thistle' into the players who couldn't manage it at all at the end of the last season must surely mean he's more likely to be a success than ian maxwell or whoever. Imo, it's hard to have full respect of a coach unless they were a better/equal player to yourself, so charnley should be able to hold the attention of most of our players in that regard. Also, I'd like to think he'll have a good influence on ryan macbeth.

That is just nonsense

PaleGreySky

2 Words, Jose Mourinho.

It's a general rule. Obviously, Jose Mourinho is an exceptional manager. If a coach didn't make it toa certain level as a player, then he doesn't have the experience to teach someone how to get to somewhere he never made it to himself. Learning from another's mistakes doesn't necessarily mean you will not make different mistakes yourself.

It's a general rule. Obviously, Jose Mourinho is an exceptional manager. If a coach didn't make it toa certain level as a player, then he doesn't have the experience to teach someone how to get to somewhere he never made it to himself. Learning from another's mistakes doesn't necessarily mean you will not make different mistakes yourself.

Maybe, but I don't think that level of ability is particularly high certainly to the level they often go on to coach at. Wenger, Stein & Ferguson obviously spring to mind. Craig Brown & Walter Smith were arguably two of the top managers in Scotland last season were no great shakes as players either.