Chic Charnley

Jeehon

I take your point that there are exceptions, but remember I did say 'coach' rather than 'manager'. I know people use both for describing what McCall does, but I mean the hands-on people teaching technique, rather than signings and organisation of the team.

Consider who you would prefer to be trying to coach young players how to pass and link up in midfield: Donnelly, Charnley or Maxwell. Obviously, you'd chose from Donnelly or Charnley because they had a better ability than Maxwell. I guess my point is, I'd much rather have better former-players than Maxwell in charge of teaching and improving technique in the squad. He wasn't good enough with the ball to teach players like MacBeth, Campbell, Lochhead, Erskine and Cairney very much.

Consider who you would prefer to be trying to coach young players how to pass and link up in midfield: Donnelly, Charnley or Maxwell. Obviously, you'd chose from Donnelly or Charnley because they had a better ability than Maxwell. I guess my point is, I'd much rather have better former-players than Maxwell in charge of teaching and improving technique in the squad. He wasn't good enough with the ball to teach players like MacBeth, Campbell, Lochhead, Erskine and Cairney very much.

One'd expect Maxwell will be coaching our young defenders - and maybe teaching our midfield players how to tackle. (Hodge for instance is a good passer of the ball but is even worse at tackling than me and that's saying something.)

There are different aspects to the game and they're all important. With Donnelly and Cameron we've got guys who can teach about passing and position .. but you also need to know how to cover and tackle.

Regards the respect thing .. that can only help for the first few weeks. After that, if you don't have the ability to get over your ideas and impose discipline it doesn't matter how good a player you were. Bobby Charlton was one of England's few world class players but he was hopeless as a manager. He was too quiet and unaggressive off the field and could never impose himself.

Edited by Mr Bunny

Looks like we're going to have more coaches than Urquhart's by the start of the season. Something has to give. They might all be on buttons but that probably adds up to the wage of one proven, reputable coach.

What's going on?

We'd all like to know that! On the other hand, all the speculation about coaches may have its origin in newspapermen trying to boost sales of their own particular publications. I tend to think that this is the case - anyway, the latest rumour suggests that Maxwell is bound for Livingston, which could clarify the matter if only slightly!

I take your point that there are exceptions, but remember I did say 'coach' rather than 'manager'. I know people use both for describing what McCall does, but I mean the hands-on people teaching technique, rather than signings and organisation of the team.

What about teaching young players good professional habits like how to look after yourself, wgat to eat etc. I'd much rather have a good solid professional like Maxwell than a bampot like Charnley.

There are countless examples of great players making terrible coaches. John Barnes immediately springs to mind.

okay then. van gaal, hiddink, roy hodgson, stuart baxter - more 'coaches' than the traditional british 'mister,' but still in charge. or if it's pure coaching sucess then consider steve clarke or alex miller, both successful in that role but second in command. none of these fellows made their mark as a player. more the rule than the exception i would say.

If Gerry Britton is happy to have Chic as a youth coach then that's fine by me. I'm sure Chic could teach the kids a lot, as well as the importance of not wasting their talent like he did.

If McCall wants him as an assistant manager then I'll accept his judgement but I'll be a little confused as to how there isn't a better option available...

If Gerry Britton is happy to have Chic as a youth coach then that's fine by me. I'm sure Chic could teach the kids a lot, as well as the importance of not wasting their talent like he did.

If McCall wants him as an assistant manager then I'll accept his judgement but I'll be a little confused as to how there isn't a better option available...

I'd agree with that.

Agreed. Andy Millen has left St. Mirren - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/st_mirren/8735388.stm - and would bring a lot of experience to Firhill.

Is there any substance to this to this rumour?? would be great to have someone of Chic's legendary status back at the club.

And as for some peoples comments like bampot etc on this thread they should really go and take a good **** to themselves.

Chic has vast experience coaching kids usually voluntarily...he coached at some training school the late great Bobby Robson was involved in so that tells its own story

Edited by mod2
Attempt to beat the swear filter

Totally against this ever coming to pass, do we not remember in the deep dark times when he took the money, got suspended, and ran!! If he gets appointed I will try and get my money back for my season ticket.

The largest chunk of Charnley's football income by far came from signing on fees. Over the years I think his average wage was a relative pittance. So I for one wouldn't hold any of his departures against him regardless of the circumstances.

I sense you disagree :D

Is there any substance to this to this rumour?? would be great to have someone of Chic's legendary status back at the club.

And as for some peoples comments like bampot etc on this thread they should really go and take a good **** to themselves.

Chic has vast experience coaching kids usually voluntarily...he coached at some training school the late great Bobby Robson was involved in so that tells its own story

To back up what i said earlier. I know 2 people who had a son and a nephew at the Club during the Collins(?) era, when Chic was doing the youth coaching.

Both described him as an aggressive bully who regularly had the kids going home in fits of tears, as such they both removed them from the Club.

I have no reason to doubt what they have told me and as such, stand by my earlier statement. His appointment would have a detrimental effect on the current Youth System at the Club.