Twitter

Dark Passenger

I see the online presence of some of our players becoming a real talking point if performances don't pick up. Indeed, their tweets have already become the subject of scrutiny following yesterday's shameful result.

I don't think for a minute that footballers didn't dick about pre-social media, but exposing every dressing room jape (and there seems to be a lot of them) is going to backfire when you don't produce the goods on the park and lead to fans questioning the players' professionalism.

Should the players be banned from using Twitter, or accepting fans as friends on Facebook, or should the club create and enforce a Twitter policy that limits what the players can release into the worldwide web?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, this is just a complete overreaction.

These days Thistle fans are more than happy to tolerate these slightly off the wall dressing room japes when they're disclosed around about a purple patch. Yet as soon as there's a rank rotten result it's suddenly because, shock, a few players are on Twitter and have the audacity to play an XBox after training the evening before a match.

There is no cause and effect whatsoever. They probably feel like absolute :censor: this morning and it's substantially deserved after their performance, so let's not kick them again while they're down. A few weeks of hard graft, keeping their heads down a bit and no one will care what dress Conrad Balatoni tried on for size down town or whether Aaron Sinclair is a PES or a FIFA man.

These days Thistle fans are more than happy to tolerate these slightly off the wall dressing room japes when they're disclosed around about a purple patch. Yet as soon as there's a rank rotten result it's suddenly because, shock, a few players are on Twitter and have the audacity to play an XBox after training the evening before a match.

There is no cause and effect whatsoever. They probably feel like absolute :censor: this morning and it's substantially deserved after their performance, so let's not kick them again while they're down. A few weeks of hard graft, keeping their heads down a bit and no one will care what dress Conrad Balatoni tried on for size down town or whether Aaron Sinclair is a PES or a FIFA man.

Why don't you set you liberal politics aside for one second. Do you think it's appropriate for the representatives of a family club to post an (admittedly cartoon) engorged penis on a site that can be accessed by the supporting and wider public or do you think that should be covered by a social media policy.

I'm not saying banning them is the only option, but there are levels of posting that should be considered.

Why don't you set you liberal politics aside for one second. Do you think it's appropriate for the representatives of a family club to post an (admittedly cartoon) engorged penis on a site that can be accessed by the supporting and wider public or do you think that should be covered by a social media policy.

I'm not saying banning them is the only option, but there are levels of posting that should be considered.

This has nothing to do with my politics.

I really don't care if they post a photo of a foam phallus on a Smart car. They're young men. If they find it funny, fine. They're not causing gratuitous offence to anyone.

I hope Aaron Sinclair is a FIFA man, or i will demand he be dropped and sold immediately!!!

This has nothing to do with my politics.

I really don't care if they post a photo of a foam phallus on a Smart car. They're young men. If they find it funny, fine. They're not causing gratuitous offence to anyone.

I'm pretty sure it does given the way in which it appears to consume your life.

You may not care, but that isn't the issue here. Players' posts should be clamped down on when they hint at a lack of professionalism or when they run the risk of damaging the image the club has taken careful steps to cultivate.

They leave both themselves and the club open to difficult questions and some of the harsher comments that are made in the wake of results like yesterdays.

As long as their not tweeting when they are meant to be training or playing i dont see what the problem is, these guys have lives away from their jobs like everyone else

If anything I'd be impressed if they managed to tweet while playing... :D

AaronSinclair26 "Got ball aff that useless @conradbalatoni. Passed to @cairneypaul who took 8 touches and lost it. FML"

As long as their not tweeting when they are meant to be training or playing i dont see what the problem is, these guys have lives away from their jobs like everyone else

As long as they're employed by the club then they should be considered ambassadors for Partick Thistle whether they're training, playing in a match, sitting in Nandos or drawing knobs on cars.

Remember the understandable furore on here when it appeared one of our youth players had posted sickening remarks re. Neil Lennon on Facebook? Should his conduct have been dismissed given they were posted when he wasn't training or be admonished because they were his personal thoughts and not those of the club?

Aye okay sunshine. That you were the one to raise my politics suggests you're rather more absorbed in it than I am.

You may not care, but that isn't the issue here. Players' posts should be clamped down on when they hint at a lack of professionalism or when they run the risk of damaging the image the club has taken careful steps to cultivate.

Right... so mucking about (not causing any harm or doing anything especially unhealthy) when not training or playing or involved in a public engagement on behalf of the club constitutes a "lack of professionalism"?

What part of the club's "so carefully cultivated" reputation does a handful of pranks do? They're a group of young men. They muck about. What a surprise. If it was the management team or the board of directors involved in such pranks you might just have a point, but it's not so you don't.

They leave both themselves and the club open to difficult questions and some of the harsher comments that are made in the wake of results like yesterdays.

Let's not cloud the issues here. They were left open to difficult questions in relation to yesterday's performance because they didn't try hard enough or acquit themselves adequately on the pitch. That's substantially unrelated to what they do when they're not training, as long as they're not knocking back the beers at a rate of knots.

Bloody hell. Having read their tweets fairly regularly there is absolutely nothing in them which is at all controversial. They just seem like a bunch of young guys who love being professional footballers. Get a grip of yourself and stop trying to be offended.

What part of the club's "so carefully cultivated" reputation does a handful of pranks do? They're a group of young men. They muck about. What a surprise. If it was the management team or the board of directors involved in such pranks you might just have a point, but it's not so you don't.

Partick Thistle has and is still attempting to position itself as a family club. They are ambassadors of Partick Thistle. The fact they're neither memebers of the management team of club directors means nothing. It's you who's without a point in this instance.

Edited by Dark Passenger

Not read or seen anything that hints at "a lack of professionalism", what I have seen is just a bunch of m8s messing each other about and having some fun with occasional comments on when games have gone well and also gone bad. Doing that is neither wrong or unprofessional IMO.

Nothing that would or could bring the club into direpute and the club have already shown with that youth player that posted the sectarian stuff that they can and will kick people out for that. Pretty sure they have some strict guidelines and any player breaking them would be disciplined heavily.

The NFL has a rule that players cannot use social media 90 mins before a game and only once normal media commitments have been met after the game. To me thats the fairest way to look at it and should be the basis for what most clubs/leagues use. (NFL Media Policy

Bloody hell. Having read their tweets fairly regularly there is absolutely nothing in them which is at all controversial. They just seem like a bunch of young guys who love being professional footballers. Get a grip of yourself and stop trying to be offended.

What that man said.

Partick Thistle has and is still attempting to position itself as a family club. They are ambassadors of Partick Thistle. The fact they're neither memebers of the management team of club directors means nothing. It's you who's without a point in this instance.

Nothing that they've done brings Thistle's reputation as a family club into disrepute. People throwing smoke bombs onto the pitch on the other hand...

This type of thread is exactly why I can't be arsed with this forum any more. If we'd have won Twittergate would be nowhere to be seen. The players by all accounts were shite yesterday and should be ashamed of themselves. The fact they may choose to have a laugh now and again has **** all to do with that.. get a grip of yourself.

Right, just so I can be clear on this, people do not believe that posting the following picture on Twitter would contravene the social media policy of a family football club?

Culter preparation

no i dont, i take it that makes me a bad person <_<

change this to a well known saying *life a get*

if you are having problems working it out then theres your problem right there :thumbsup2:

This type of thread is exactly why I can't be arsed with this forum any more. If we'd have won Twittergate would be nowhere to be seen. The players by all accounts were shite yesterday and should be ashamed of themselves. The fact they may choose to have a laugh now and again has **** all to do with that.. get a grip of yourself.

I don't think anyone wants them to stop having a laugh but it clear they are dicking about (pun intended) when the team is playing rubbish. Maybe if they took football more seriously then they would win more games.

This type of thread is exactly why I can't be arsed with this forum any more. If we'd have won Twittergate would be nowhere to be seen.

Not entirely true. Players' posts have been the subject of discussion prior to this, but it was on the medium from which they were communicating. My intitial post does ackowledge that they're likely to come under the spotlight following a poor result, though, which is why I think more care should be taken.

Nothing that they've done brings Thistle's reputation as a family club into disrepute. People throwing smoke bombs onto the pitch on the other hand...

Was that what these pathetic coloured things were? Should take them back to Poundland or wherever and get a refund.

Don't know much about all the twittering stuff but suggest our players aren't on that much of a wage to go ban them from using these sites. I realise ideally wages shouldn't come into the equation but in practice it's a lot easier for an employer to lay down dos and don'ts when the employees have a lot to lose.