Minute Silence Today

lennythistle

Spoke with David Beattie at length after the game today. Very interesting conversation and he is such a polite and friendly man. He advised me that it was all Jackie Mac's doing that we had a minute silence for Gary speed today.

Class act Jackie. Well done.

David himself has been battling throat cancer for the last two years or so (i knew he hadn't been well but not that it was that serious). He has had some good news of late regards that fight and this thistle fan wishes him a full recovery and the best of health.

Spoke with David Beattie at length after the game today. Very interesting conversation and he is such a polite and friendly man. He advised me that it was all Jackie Mac's doing that we had a minute silence for Gary speed today.

Class act Jackie. Well done.

David himself has been battling throat cancer for the last two years or so (i knew he hadn't been well but not that it was that serious). He has had some good news of late regards that fight and this thistle fan wishes him a full recovery and the best of health.

I'll second that

:thumbsup2: Having just survived Bowel Cancer I can honestly wish all who are currently suffering from any form of Cancer the very best of luck and best wishes for a speedy recovery and if any of you who read this are in their late 40's and early 50's or even in your late 30's then get yourself along to a chemist and ask for a Bowel Cancer Test Kit and follow the Instructions. That's how I found out that I had the dreaded bassa of a thing. Don't wait till it's too late. I was very lucky as they got it early and got rid of it without me having to have Chemo or any other treatment.Just have to have Scans and Colonoscopies for the next 5 years until they say all ok. :rolleyes:

I actually assumed the minutes silence was some sort of standard procedure due to Gary Speed being a current

British international manager.

Personally I've absolutely no objection to a Jags team manager asking for respects to be made for a football person's passing. That takes the difficult decisions of just who we do and who we don't mark similarly further away from the Club.

I remember a fairly polarised debate on a previous Jags fans website on whether Dom McVicar's passing should be marked by a moment's respect. Tho' I disagreed with the Club's decision on that instance I fully understood their dilemma. I'm glad therefore to hear that today's decision was at the request of the manager as opposed to some sort of boardroom edict.

Totally disagree with all of above. Think the minutes silence had nothing to do with Scottish football at all and to be quite honest had no place. The minute silence belonged to the family of Welsh football and clubs that he had played for. There have been many a great former Partick Thistle football player who has passed away without the adulation and recognition of a minutes silence and to pander to the request of the manager is totally wrong as that was a personal request and again took no consideration of greater Thistle legends who have gone over the years.

Gary Speed decided to take his own life he also took that decision knowing that one of his family would make that horrible find that is not the actions of a great man in my own opinion regardless of state of mind depressed or not. My thoughts are with his wife and children who have to live with the aftermath and always ask why every day.

That is why in my humble opinion it has nothing and I mean nothing to do with a Partick Thistle home game....shame on those who run the club if it did pander to the request by Jackie McNamara as you have just trod on those who have asked for the same gesture for loved ones who donned the famous red and yellow jersey and were denied.

Totally disagree with all of above. Think the minutes silence had nothing to do with Scottish football at all and to be quite honest had no place. The minute silence belonged to the family of Welsh football and clubs that he had played for. There have been many a great former Partick Thistle football player who has passed away without the adulation and recognition of a minutes silence and to pander to the request of the manager is totally wrong as that was a personal request and again took no consideration of greater Thistle legends who have gone over the years.

Gary Speed decided to take his own life he also took that decision knowing that one of his family would make that horrible find that is not the actions of a great man in my own opinion regardless of state of mind depressed or not. My thoughts are with his wife and children who have to live with the aftermath and always ask why every day.

That is why in my humble opinion it has nothing and I mean nothing to do with a Partick Thistle home game....shame on those who run the club if it did pander to the request by Jackie McNamara as you have just trod on those who have asked for the same gesture for loved ones who donned the famous red and yellow jersey and were denied.

I respect your opinion but I feel that the club choosing to listen to jaggy macs suggestion for a minutes silence only shows what an open and respectful club we are and I reckon you are probably the only person in the ground that was somewhat ticked off with a minutes silence. I felt rather proud of the club today for that minutes silence 2 day if I'm honest

Totally disagree with all of above. Think the minutes silence had nothing to do with Scottish football at all and to be quite honest had no place. The minute silence belonged to the family of Welsh football and clubs that he had played for. There have been many a great former Partick Thistle football player who has passed away without the adulation and recognition of a minutes silence and to pander to the request of the manager is totally wrong as that was a personal request and again took no consideration of greater Thistle legends who have gone over the years. Gary Speed decided to take his own life he also took that decision knowing that one of his family would make that horrible find that is not the actions of a great man in my own opinion regardless of state of mind depressed or not. My thoughts are with his wife and children who have to live with the aftermath and always ask why every day.That is why in my humble opinion it has nothing and I mean nothing to do with a Partick Thistle home game....shame on those who run the club if it did pander to the request by Jackie McNamara as you have just trod on those who have asked for the same gesture for loved ones who donned the famous red and yellow jersey and were denied.

IMO what you are asking for is for the current board to repeat the mistakes of past boards, or at least give consideration to their mistakes. A line in the sand has to be drawn somewhere. It is disgraceful if any PTFC legend has passed away and a request for a minutes silence has been made and refused, but this cannot be used as a reason not to pay legitimate respects to anyone. If any request is made, a judgement has to be reached, but this should be reached independently of anything that has gone on in the past.

Edited by MerryHell

IMO what you are asking for is for the current board to repeat the mistakes of past boards, or at least give consideration to their mistakes. A line in the sand has to be drawn somewhere. It is disgraceful if any PTFC legend has passed away and a request for a minutes silence has been made and refused, but this cannot be used as a reason not to pay legitimate respects to anyone. If any request is made, a judgement has to be reached, but this should be reached independently of anything that has gone on in the past.

:thumbsup2:

I am in no way using the previous boards denial as the measuring rule as stated in the very first line his death has nothing to do with Scottish football or at the very least Partick Thistle football club....would we have done the same if Fabio Capello or Giovanni Trapattoni had passed away this week as they have probably impacted as much on Scottish football as Gary Speed.

I suppose my main real gripe is that Jackie and the club thought it was good enough for Gary Speed this weekend but did not make enough fuss when Queen of the South could not be bothered doing a minutes silence on Remembrance Weekend poor poor show

I am in no way using the previous boards denial as the measuring rule as stated in the very first line his death has nothing to do with Scottish football or at the very least Partick Thistle football club....would we have done the same if Fabio Capello or Giovanni Trapattoni had passed away this week as they have probably impacted as much on Scottish football as Gary Speed. I suppose my main real gripe is that Jackie and the club thought it was good enough for Gary Speed this weekend but did not make enough fuss when Queen of the South could not be bothered doing a minutes silence on Remembrance Weekend poor poor show

I don't think anything you have posted shows PTFC in a bad light. If what you say is true (I don't doubt, I just have no evidence) QOS may have been unaccomodating, but what can we do really? It is QOS that come out of this badly, yet you seem to be wanting to lay the blame at our door.

We are going to have different opinions, fair enough.

Respected the minutes silence today, but it did feel a bit out of place at the time.

This, but...

I felt rather proud of the club today for that minutes silence if I'm honest

...this too. There were others around us who felt it strange, but not against it in the way Ruchillnomore seems to be.

Edited by Steven H

Wasn't at the game, but, FWIW, I'm surprised it was necessary to have a minute's silence today.

As for the reference to remembrance weekend and putting the boot into QOS, we were at home to Morton last year and didn't have a silence. In fact, in all my years of going to the football I don't think I've ever been at a Jags game, home or away, at which a remembrance weekend silence has been held. It's a recent thing, certainly in Scotland, and has turned into a big deal because, guess what, the gruesome twosome have polarised views on the subject.

Wasn't at the game, but, FWIW, I'm surprised it was necessary to have a minute's silence today.

As for the reference to remembrance weekend and putting the boot into QOS, we were at home to Morton last year and didn't have a silence. In fact, in all my years of going to the football I don't think I've ever been at a Jags game, home or away, at which a remembrance weekend silence has been held. It's a recent thing, certainly in Scotland, and has turned into a big deal because, guess what, the gruesome twosome have polarised views on the subject.

I think we had one for phil o'donnel if I'm right a few years ago

I think we had one for phil o'donnel if I'm right a few years ago

We may well have done, I can't remember, but that would certainly not have been out of place, although I would probably have felt it unnecessary if he hadn't died on the field of play. We had a minute's silence at Brockville after Dunblane which was entirely appropriate as it was a national tragedy, involving young children.

Jackie is a former Scotland international. Also played in English premier league. He has no doubt came up against Gary at some point. For me that's enough reason to ask if club will do it.

Should we have had it in the past for former players.....Of course we should have. Were the board wrong to say yes to Jackie's request today...of course they were not.

Jackie is a former Scotland international. Also played in English premier league. He has no doubt came up against Gary at some point. For me that's enough reason to ask if club will do it.

That is absolutely not a good enough reason, in my opinion. That's a personal reason on behalf of McNamara if true, and without wanting to sound heartless, it's not a reason why PTFC and their fans should mark his passing officialy. Obviously I wasn't at the game, and I would certainly have respected the silence, but I don't see why is was necessary. As Lady Isobel says, if it was a standard practice for every club in the UK to mark the passing of an international manager, then fair enough. But we shoulnd't be holding minutes silences based on personal requests from the manager, the players, or anyone. Of course I support mintues silences for former club legends, national tragedies, etc. But Gary Speed had no connection to Thistle or even to Scotland.