Just A Thought

J465

I am generally a traditionalist and love Firhill dearly, but given its lack of atmosphere, problematic playing surface and lack of parking etc., and given the administration of R**gers, would it be such an ambitious prospect to relocate to this facility. It has been suggested that housing will not be permitted on the land that Murray Park occupies - thus significantly reducing the land value. With Rangers in administration, I would expect that this land (assuming it's not hidden away in a holding company) will be available at a knock down price. There is already approved planning permission for housing on parts of the land at Firhill and it would be interesting to compare the land value at Firhill with that at Murray Park.

Of course, the Murray Park complex is huge (not to mention the adjacent Auchenhowie Tennis/Hockey Club) and would far outsize our requirements, however if one or more partners could be found - David Lloyd Gym, Glasgow Warriors, West of Scotland Rugby Club, etc, a multi sport complex could be devised without major restructure of the complex.

I note that the club are considering a 3G surface in order to realise additional revenue - well, if Thistle acquired an area to accommodate a grass pitch with a 4 sided, 6000 seater stadium with safe standing areas (another move to satisfy public demand) and a 3G pitch to train on and gain much needed income, would that not be an attractive proposition?

Thistle may also benefit from a move to the more salubrious suburbs of Bearsden and Milngavie – after all, Maryhill is to a large extent, Hoopville. This is all dependant on so many factors - most of all the comparative land values, but as I said, we can build houses on Firhill, nobody can build houses on Murray Park.

The added bonus in all of this is that we all get the opportunity to dance on the grave of one cheek of Glasgow's stinking @rse.

I'm sure that there will be many who would consider this to be pie in the sky, but I'm sure the directors of the club are aware of the land value of the non-Propco part of Firhill - would a quick call to the administrators do any harm?

I am generally a traditionalist and love Firhill dearly, but given its lack of atmosphere, problematic playing surface and lack of parking etc., and given the administration of R**gers, would it be such an ambitious prospect to relocate to this facility. It has been suggested that housing will not be permitted on the land that Murray Park occupies - thus significantly reducing the land value. With Rangers in administration, I would expect that this land (assuming it's not hidden away in a holding company) will be available at a knock down price. There is already approved planning permission for housing on parts of the land at Firhill and it would be interesting to compare the land value at Firhill with that at Murray Park.

Of course, the Murray Park complex is huge (not to mention the adjacent Auchenhowie Tennis/Hockey Club) and would far outsize our requirements, however if one or more partners could be found - David Lloyd Gym, Glasgow Warriors, West of Scotland Rugby Club, etc, a multi sport complex could be devised without major restructure of the complex.

I note that the club are considering a 3G surface in order to realise additional revenue - well, if Thistle acquired an area to accommodate a grass pitch with a 4 sided, 6000 seater stadium with safe standing areas (another move to satisfy public demand) and a 3G pitch to train on and gain much needed income, would that not be an attractive proposition?

Thistle may also benefit from a move to the more salubrious suburbs of Bearsden and Milngavie – after all, Maryhill is to a large extent, Hoopville. This is all dependant on so many factors - most of all the comparative land values, but as I said, we can build houses on Firhill, nobody can build houses on Murray Park.

The added bonus in all of this is that we all get the opportunity to dance on the grave of one cheek of Glasgow's stinking @rse.

I'm sure that there will be many who would consider this to be pie in the sky, but I'm sure the directors of the club are aware of the land value of the non-Propco part of Firhill - would a quick call to the administrators do any harm?

I love this post!! Good one

Interesting post. For me my prefereence is that Partick Thistle must be a Glasgow team. Is Murray Park in Glasgow, I would say no its Dunbartonshire.

Also Im sure not along here, how easy is it to get to Murray Park without driving, O am sure there are a lot of home and away fans who dont drive like me who find it easy to get to Firhill with the numerous bus services, closeness to the city centre or handiness to the Underground. Dont think there are too many buses, underground/train stations beside Murray Park.

Finally Maryhill may be hoopville but surely theres an equal number of supporters about the Dunbartonshire area who follow the Old Firm. Partick Thistle can be seen at least to engage with the local community ie Mayhill etc to differing degrees of success. Is it not just countryside that is next door to Murray Park - cant quite emember as long time since I passed by it.

Also I dare say Rangers or whoever owns them will want the highest amount of money they can get for Murray Park doubt Partick Thistle could afford that.

Interesting post though

Interesting post. For me my prefereence is that Partick Thistle must be a Glasgow team. Is Murray Park in Glasgow, I would say no its Dunbartonshire.

Also Im sure not along here, how easy is it to get to Murray Park without driving, O am sure there are a lot of home and away fans who dont drive like me who find it easy to get to Firhill with the numerous bus services, closeness to the city centre or handiness to the Underground. Dont think there are too many buses, underground/train stations beside Murray Park.

Finally Maryhill may be hoopville but surely theres an equal number of supporters about the Dunbartonshire area who follow the Old Firm. Partick Thistle can be seen at least to engage with the local community ie Mayhill etc to differing degrees of success. Is it not just countryside that is next door to Murray Park - cant quite emember as long time since I passed by it.

Also I dare say Rangers or whoever owns them will want the highest amount of money they can get for Murray Park doubt Partick Thistle could afford that.

Interesting post though

In regards to Murray Park being next door to countryside! Your point is?? Firhill is a jungle in the middle of a jungle Maryhill and Possil!! Countryside is so much nicer than a jungle! But I agree we couldnt give over 2 empty bottles of Irn Bru as a deposit, never mind cash!

Housing would be permitted on Murray Park if East Dun approved the application. That said Murray Park would need to be flattened (yeah you cheer) but I like the idea about a multi complex for several sports. I am steeped in tradition so I'd be against a move away from Firhill, somehow its location gives it more character and historical relevance.

I read elsewhere that the residents of Fairways opposite the ground had objected once before. This is untrue. Take it from me, if there is enough corporate pressure on the council they'll fold for the likes of Tesco, Barrat, another David Murray. There's planning permission for houses in front of the Allander Sport Centre. If Murray Park gets sold on you could continue along through West's ground but for the flaw that houses aint selling these days.

if there is enough corporate pressure on the council they'll fold for the likes of Tesco, Barrat, another David Murray. There's planning permission for houses in front of the Allander Sport Centre. If Murray Park gets sold on you could continue along through West's ground but for the flaw that houses aint selling these days.

Funnily enough, Tesco have tried, and failed, to get planning permission in Milngavie to expand their store several times over the last few years.

I like this proposal in theory. Milngavie train station is less than 5 mins walk away, but there's a lack of local parking near the site, and access roads would probably have to be thought about. The lights at the corner, coming from Bearsden side, would cause some traffic problems on a busy day.

Nice post J465.

Right, just so I'm clear: we're saying that land values in Milngavie are higher than land values in Maryhill...?

I'm not sure if i'm missing your point, but i'd be surprised if they weren't.

On the OP - I just don't think it'd feel right playing anywhere that used to be owned by that lot. If we were to move to that area, i'd much rather we tried to see about sharing a development with West Rugby, where they are at present.

Funnily enough, Tesco have tried, and failed, to get planning permission in Milngavie to expand their store several times over the last few years.

I like this proposal in theory. Milngavie train station is less than 5 mins walk away, but there's a lack of local parking near the site, and access roads would probably have to be thought about. The lights at the corner, coming from Bearsden side, would cause some traffic problems on a busy day.

Nice post J465.

I think access roads will already be on the agenda as the land right along the railway track from Hillfoot until the Allander Sports Centre has been sold for houses.

I think access roads will already be on the agenda as the land right along the railway track from Hillfoot until the Allander Sports Centre has been sold for houses.

I thought that was being held up until the development company paid for the rebuilding of the sports centre? Then it was unlikely to happen at all, unless this is just a rumour. I also assumed access to these would be from the main road already there.

All that said, I really don't see how we could manage it financially. No way we could release enough capital from the sale of the land we own. There would have to be another, financially able, partner in the deal - and that won't be West unfortunately.

In regards to Murray Park being next door to countryside! Your point is?? Firhill is a jungle in the middle of a jungle Maryhill and Possil!! Countryside is so much nicer than a jungle! But I agree we couldnt give over 2 empty bottles of Irn Bru as a deposit, never mind cash!

If we were ever to move my preference would be for a move closer to Partick itself. Given the scenario of Rangers folding completely, our potential catchment area for fans would then stretch across the river in to present day Rangers teritory, with the club itslef remaining in the west end.

Plus, as has already been pointed out, the pubs in Partick are much, much better than those in Milngavie. :)