Phoenix Fans - Friday 13Th August @ Westpac

KiwiJag

To all of us in NZ, we talked about this earlier in the year but now that I see the schedule is out I thought I'd put the word out. First home game at Westpac is Friday the 13th (hmm) August. I'm definitely keen so if we can all make it there we must meet up before the game for that sherry, or whatever you're into B)

Who's in?

I should be able to make that, also hoping to get tickets for the Boca Juniors game (public sale on Wednesday I believe). Will we coordinate ticket buying?

Boca! Of course! I forgot about that! Um so we're actually quite keen to go to that one instead... probably can't make both and this one suits us much better (Mrs won't need to get time off work) plus there are a few hotels in Welly doing "Phoenix vs Boca specials" which makes it's pretty good value. Tickets on sale Wednesday you say, shouldn't have too much trouble getting tickets if we get in early ?

I've no idea about the LA Galaxy game - I wasn't here then, but I don't imagine it'll completely sell out (although there's always the All Whites Effect). Got my Boca tix in the post this morning. I'm also heading down to the Phoenix Open Day this Sunday to catch up with the returning All Whites, my son is very keen to meet Mark Paston (he seems to be fixated on goalies, he was a big Kenny Arthur and Johnny Tuffey fan!)

Let me know if you get tickets and we can arrange to meet up somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the Phoenix ran out 2-1 winners, but scored all 3 goals!

Boca were far from impressive, and slow to start (as were the Phoenix). The game picked up in the second half, with the 'nix looking more confident and comfortable, especially when sitting on a 2-0 lead. There was some nice, crisp passing moves. Boca, on the other hand, seemed to get more frustrated and started picking up cards, not the least for diving, resulting in a second yellow and subsequent red for team captain Christian Cellay.

Phoenix scored through débutante Dylan McAlister and two (one for each team) for 'nix captain Andrew Durante.

Overall a good showing on a chilly Wellington night.

Plenty of photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/stefrobb/sets/72157624443330967/ some of them quite blurry, but then you're pretty far away from the action at the Westpac! Don't forget to check out the crazies with their tops off - I hear they got the idea from a certain game in Dingwall...