Flags At Firhill

PaleGreySky

I just got in touch with Ian Maxwell to make a suggestion for Firhill.

"With the season drawing to a close and it therefore being a good time for suggestions for next season, I thought I'd get in touch. I am a long term fan who now lives in Edinburgh, and so can only attend select matches. I probably attend about 15-20 games a year in total. I am the possessor of one of many 'big flags' among the thistle support, but I feel it is going to waste somewhat during home games (when I don't bring it) and the away games I don't make. I was wondering if there is the possibility of the club installing some form of permanent mesh fence on the back of the stand at the Shed end, on which fans could leave their flags full time. I know that there are many flags in the support that don't get many outings, so it might be a good way of encouraging an improvement in atmosphere and making Firhill more of a spectacle on match days. I would be happy to leave my flag in the stewardship of the club if I knew it was there on match days, and I'm sure other fans in the same position would be happy to do so as well. I'd be happy to help encourage people on jags forum to sign up to the idea, if the club was willing to facilitate it somehow. Thanks in advance for any help."

Is anyone else interested in this idea? I know there are loads of really good bIg flags that very rarely turn up. For example those at deveronvale a few years back. Seems a waste, and Firhill is ridiculously dull when it shouldn't be.

I may be wrong, but I don't think he's saying the flags would be left hanging up between games. I'm sure a steward could collect them after the game and keep them safely stored until the next home game.

Good idea. Need something to try get a better atmosphere at home games.

I may be wrong, but I don't think he's saying the flags would be left hanging up between games. I'm sure a steward could collect them after the game and keep them safely stored until the next home game.

Good idea. Need something to try get a better atmosphere at home games.

I would suggest that if this was to go ahead and the fans get some cupboard space, that it not be left to the responsibility of a steward (nothing to do with previous threads).

Just that these flags are quite expensive and someones personal property.

If anything i would be looking to Maxi to liase with him... for someone to become a direct contact for the Shed, and as such a small group of fans take down and put up the flags every second week... this would also lead to liasing with him to discuss any "fan days" etc...

If the club want to hand over running of parts of the Club to experienced fans...

i would suggest that a "focus group" be set up with maxi. where by someone from the shed, parent from the kids section, season ticket holder, female(?), OAP's etc is appointed to engage with the club, to improve the overall experience on a match day.

Stick a fence up at the bottom of the bing (one of those ones that slot together fixed into concrete bases would do the job). Let the flag holders/owners in to attach them before the game & get them back after. Lots of colourful flags to distract from the bing. Would need to leave a space to allow one of the gates to open so the ballboys can collect Paton/Atchie/Rowser's shots (delete as required)!

What I mean is to keep it simple - fans who have flags have somewhere decent to put them up properly for home games. They can leave them full time if the want, or they can put them up and take them down each week. I mean in the shed - the bing is just hassle and is exposed to the elements. This idea would require absolutely minimal effort for quite an improvement. 100-200 quids worth of fencIng fastened along the back of the JH section 1 so that they can be tied up properly.

Edited by PaleGreySky