Season 2010/11

ptfcthommo

What is everyones opinion on our first team so far for the upcoming season?

I think it's looking really poor and maybe looking like a mid second or top third diision club at the minute.

I think if we don't sign a new keeper, a experianced centre back, a couple of strong midfielders we are doomed.

Do we need to sign a new striker? or should we give some new youth a chance to show if they should stay after this season or hit the door?

we have no funds... and thats what we need is a few quid to keep us safe for this season again or we can hang out there and hope luck is enough, but i do't think its going to happen for us.

So far season prediction is to have a tough fight with Cowdenbeath for that safe spot above possible Stirling at table bottom?

Don't think we have to worry about the "R" word or even "THE PLAY-OFFS"

Guys that we have, Have been with us for at least a year may perform better than we think.

Hope any new signings gel quickly may have a top 3 finish in us.

i really hope i'm wrong but after some dodgy defending sometimes last season it'd be nice to see at least a new centreback.

i would say yes but he's playing over the pond in the land of dreams...

Watching the world cup i heard Craig Moore is out of contract :thinking:

he's been putting in some decent performances but think he'd goto a spl club (Rangers) before us.

The problem is knowing what players are out of contract at the minute.

i would say yes but he's playing over the pond in the land of dreams...

Watching the world cup i heard Craig Moore is out of contract :thinking:

he's been putting in some decent performances but think he'd goto a spl club (Rangers) before us.

The problem is knowing what players are out of contract at the minute.

what u been smoking lol, craig moore lol we cant even afford to offer bryn halliwell a new deal !

If he gets us a mid table finish this season i'll be satisfied

If he gets us mid table, playing fast attacking ball on the deck, with wingers, football, and brings the youths through, i'll be satisfied.

If we finish mid table, no matter our present squad. Whilst watchin the same pish as last season, and gives the very same youths the very same last 3 games...

I will be questioning what he brings to the club.

:thinking:

Lets be honest, we are in a stagnent league. A league that will progress only through a change in style of play, or a change in league set up. We are surrounded by teams who are, by all accounts, terrible. Why we cannot compete with, and finish above the majority of them whilst bringing through youths AND playing "football", I can't understand.

On our current set up, only Dundee, Falkirk, Dunfermline and either Queens or County should finish above us.

That leaves stirling, raith, morton, cowden and or queens/county to finish below us. Surely thats a cushion?

Edited by potty trained

I honestly think its crazy how our youth set up is so bad.

most amateur clubs in Glasgow have better set ups B)

maybe the club should look at poaching the talent from primary schools up.

Look at all the youth teams around Glasgow, how many of there coaches would jump at the chance to work with Partick Thistle and run things for next to nothing?

Most of them do it as a hobbie, past time or just do a job to help the kids out for free at the minute anyway.

maybe thats something people should look at...

Everyone in this and related threads seems to feel we're bulletproof when it comes to the old play-offs and relegation malarky. I worry about the number of Bruce Ismays following our club.

On the upside, no-one expects a good season and success at the other end given that there's nothing in the biscuit barrel for a rainy day so maybe we'll have a pleasant surprise.

Edited by McKennan

Our current first team would be

Scully

Paton

Robertson

Kinniburgh

Archibald (when fit)/Boyle

Rowson

Cairney

Hodge

Erskine

Buchanan

Doolan/Grehan

Subs from

Shepherd

Boyle

McGeough

Boyle

McBeth

Corcoran

Doolan/Grehan

Hinchcliffe would warm the bench. McNamara would probably replace Hodge. Donnelly would compete with Doolan and Grehan.

:thumbdown:

Edited by kni

I hope McCall puts his faith in MacBeth, Burns and McGeough and anyone else half decent from the youths should be on the bench and getting a run out. We might as well give them a shot before they drift into inevitable obscurity and start beating their girlfriends.

We'll no doubt be able to put out a decent 1st team (once a goallie signs), e.g.

Goallie; Paton Robertson Kinnibugh Boyle/Archie; Cairney Rowson McNamara (I assume) Hodge/Erskine; Buchanan Doolan/Greehan.

Our problem obviously is our squad has no depth, so we'd be in trouble with bad run of injuries or suspensions. Youngsters like MacBeth and Burns could do a job I'm sure but being youngsters they may not be able to keep their form for a long spell. I'm sure one or two might prove me wrong but unless we get a few experienced players in (even if just loans) we'll have to depend on quite a few of our youngsters and they won't all be ready.

Edited by Mr Bunny

I honestly think its crazy how our youth set up is so bad.

most amateur clubs in Glasgow have better set ups B)

maybe the club should look at poaching the talent from primary schools up.

Look at all the youth teams around Glasgow, how many of there coaches would jump at the chance to work with Partick Thistle and run things for next to nothing?

Most of them do it as a hobbie, past time or just do a job to help the kids out for free at the minute anyway.

maybe thats something people should look at...

Maybe you should look at it closer, it's the one area that the Club seems to be getting right :)