Does Anyone Remember?

Chicofan

Don't ask me why..maybe I just need reassurance that I'm not going mad.

Does anyone remember the group of 5 or 6 guys that used to turn up at the first game of the season dressed up as monks??

This dates back to the late eighties iirc and happened for a number of years in the 90's.

Does anyone remember the group of 5 or 6 guys that used to turn up at the first game of the season dressed up as monks??

This dates back to the late eighties iirc and happened for a number of years in the 90's.

You aint going mad......they did exist!

Neilly, thank you. I asked a number of my pals, who attended Firhill at this time whether they remembered it or not and they didn't. It felt like I was the insane one when I brought it up and folk were looking completely bemused.

My Dad told me this story not long ago. It was before he started taking me, so the dates are right. They used to stand up at where the Police Box would be in the City End (where he would take me) and he said they were dressed in cardboard as well. "******* hilarious", my Dad stated.

I'm so glad this has its own thread.

Neilly, thank you. I asked a number of my pals, who attended Firhill at this time whether they remembered it or not and they didn't. It felt like I was the insane one when I brought it up and folk were looking completely bemused.

My Dad told me this story not long ago. It was before he started taking me, so the dates are right. They used to stand up at where the Police Box would be in the City End (where he would take me) and he said they were dressed in cardboard as well. "******* hilarious", my Dad stated.

I'm so glad this has its own thread.

:thumbsup2:

I'm even gladder some people have come on to concur :D

• Members

I'm sure one or two of the guys used to post on the old dotnet forum in the past. Maybe a Sick In The Basin connection along the way somewhere. The name Fritzy or somthing rings a bell as well. Wasn't the first game of the season though.

I'm sure one or two of the guys used to post on the old dotnet forum in the past. Maybe a Sick In The Basin connection along the way somewhere. The name Fritzy or somthing rings a bell as well. Wasn't the first game of the season though.

Are you sure?? the memory I have and have omitted from my OP was that i had spoken to them at one of the games....and I'm sure they came to the first game of the season to bring us good luck.

Edited by Chicofan

Are you sure?? the memory I have and have omitted from my OP was that i had spoken to them at one of the games....and I'm sure they came to the first game of the season to bring us good luck.

How I remember it too, but it could've been the first game of the year as someone else highlighted earlier.

• 9 months later...

I remember once seeing them, about 15 minutes before kick-off. They were walking up Maryhill Road, near Queen's Cross. They were in single file, cowls completely over their heads and arms folded with their hands hidden up the sleeves of their robes………. spooky!

The Mad Monks definately existed but only remember seeing them once at New Year. It was post the de-commissioning of the South Terrace -where they stood- and pre the Bing. Anyone remember the Xmas trees ?

I had almost forgaotten about the monks and I definately remember the Christmas Trees

The Mad Monks definately existed but only remember seeing them once at New Year. It was post the de-commissioning of the South Terrace -where they stood- and pre the Bing. Anyone remember the Xmas trees ?

I also definitely remember seeing a close-up online photo of them wailing and chanting on the city terracing. I've had a look for it, but can't find it...

I'm sure i heard somewhere it was a bunch of students originally who had learned about an ancient order of monks who self harmed to show their devotion to their faith and empathy to christ's suffering. hence the beating themselves with their scarves.

Think the angle was if they were around now, they'd be jags fans as supporting our team can be torture.

Definately attended more than once, maybe even a couple of away games. Think they may even have had a few copycats.

Definitely remember seeing the monks on more than one occasion. Anyone mind the two Pink Panthers at the promotion winning game against Forfar in 92? I remember somebody telling me that one of them was spotted comatose on the pavement on Maryhill Road in the early hours of the morning after the match.

Yes, I remember the Pink Panthers, the only entertaining thing in a very boring game. You could tell they were pished by the way one of them kept trying to put his panther head on back to front!

Yes, I remember the Pink Panthers, the only entertaining thing in a very boring game. You could tell they were pished by the way one of them kept trying to put his panther head on back to front!

Nah, he was the sober one - remember you said the game was rubbish.

• Like 1