Phoenix

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think you realise the situation. Each team have to put pressure on their board to veto any light punishment for Rangers. The only way to do that is by saying they will boycott games. In reality I think a very small portion of these people would actually stop.

Edited by read'n'yell

For all of those threatening to boycott Firhill next year over the Rangers/Newco issue please take a long hard look at yourselves. All you will be doing is harming the club that you claim to love. By boycotting your own club all you will be doing is helping us on the way to following Rangers into liquidation.

Partick Thistle Football Club is not David Beattie, nor is it the current board or any of the previous boards, managers or players. Partick Thistle belongs to the fans and if the fans care so little about the club that they are prepared to walk away from it as a protest against the actions of outside organisations then maybe the club deserves to die.

I for one will still support the club that I love no matter what happens. I dont base my support on what the SPL/SFL/SFA do, on what Rangers/ Newco/A.N Other club do or even what the present Partick Thistle Chairman says or does, I support my team because its the team I grew up supporting, because of the friends I made following the club and because simply of the enjoyment I have gained over the years watching Thistle.

For the record in case of any doubt. I believe that the Newco should start in Div 3. I'm just not willing to risk damaging my own club if they dont.

Then the club will listen to the majority of the fans and we won't have a problem. If they don't listen to the fans and endorse Newco into the 1st division (in whatever guise) then they have shown that the club does not belong to the fans. In addition, if it comes to pass that Newco are in any league other than the lowest one next season, Scottish football itself, not just PTFC, is dead!

At last a voice of reason.I totally agree with you 100%.

The way things are going so called football fans of all clubs

would rather see Scottish football die because of their hatred of another club.

It is time for sanity & reasoned debate on the future rather than a blinkered negative

attitude to the situation re Scottish football.Once a Jag always a Jag.

all we are doing is applying pressure to ensure that a huge miscarriage of justice is averted..

They didnt help us when we needed help and the SFL gets no TV money.. We shouldnt be called upon to fix the SPL's problem... why should we give up the chance of promotion for a year?

If you seriously as a thistle fan would be complicit in letting those ***** off lightly.. then i suggest you have a look at yourself

Edited by dougie247

Sevco 5088 are nothing but a company in liquidation - they happen to have a stadium and fans (and arguably some players) ... what they don't have is a valid SFA registration so they must therefore be jettisoned into the queue with Cove Rangers, Spartans, Third Lanark and the other wannabees who aspire to any vacant slot - if that means a few years in the wilderness then so be it.

Putting them into SFL1 (or any reincarnation as SPL2) might just kill the game or their demotion to the bottom rung of the ladder might just save the game. Whatever happens the rules must be updated and changed to ensure absolute consistency from now on. If the SFA get it wrong then the ramifications are huge.

As for the Jags I won't stop supporting/attending regardless of the actions of someone on the board who might narcissitically think he's a one man band. Action like refusing to attend may be considered if he did vote this way to get him ousted but not long term refusal to attend if the filth get lucky and land in our league.

Edited by gianlucatoni

It is time for sanity & reasoned debate on the future rather than a blinkered negative

Think for the vast majority it has nothing to do with a hatred of Rangers and those who are suggesting that it is, need to read the comments of people on here and try and understand where we are coming from.

It is about the game being played on a level playing field. We are not stupid wee boys. We know the Old Firm carry much weight and force in the game. If Partick Thistle or any other club other than the Old Firm had done what Gers have done, they would be in div 3 at best already.

If Gers are going to get preferential treatment, why are we bothering with football in this country?

I would imagine every single person who has said they would boycott is hurting like hell today.

Oh I don't claim to be a Partick Thistle supporter....I AM A PARTICK THISTLE SUPPORTER.

I like that you refer to Scottish football dying unless we roll over for Zombie Rangers, and a blinkered negative attitude in the same post. This is a great chance to reshape the game in Scotland for the better, but it should not be necessary to promote a newco 2 divisions in order to do this.

Here we go, the inevitable (few, thankfully) voices in support of preferential treatment for the defunct h u n s, using basically the same logic as the defunct h u n s' own supporters, which is that we (PTFC and all other clubs), need to change all the rules, throw the rulebook away in fact, just to make life a bit easier for them. Because if we don't we will not survive. I for one don't buy that argument, and I don't want to support a team or a football system that explicitly accepts that this is indeed the case.

Been a Jags fanatic for over 50 years. Have raged for most of my life about the injustices that stem from the insidious power that the old firm wield, not only in Scottish football but in the media, education, and even other spheres. I live in hope that we can prevail against that stranglehold, and we and other clubs do on the odd occasion manage it. But to be bought off in such a crass manner as is being discussed would be an explicit statement that there is one set of ever-flexible rules for those two, and another for the rest. I could not accept that.

Sevco 5088 are nothing but a company in liquidation - they happen to have a stadium and fans (and arguably some players) .

They aren't in liquidation.

The old company is preparing to go into liquidation.

The newco has purchased the land etc from the old company and hopes to transfer player contracts.

They don't have memberships and licences etc to take part in the top league. The SPL chairmen are about to vote on whether the newco should have an SPL membership transferred to them from another company. They will vote no.

Therefore to allow the newco to take part anywhere next season, they should have to apply to join at the lowest rung.

Why should a club with no history, that has never competed in a game. Who cannot provide an average travelling support figure. Who cannot confidently advise on what it will bring to the league, be able to enter straight into the top division of the SFL?

In the future if the same happened to us, Falkirk, dunfy... Should we be able to waltz back into the first?

It is my fear that discussions have taken place between SPL and Div1 chairmen. That a 'get out' has been suggested... Look, we'll vote them out, but we want them back in a year. We need you guys to go to the rest of the SFL chairmen and talk up the need for reconstruction. The fans will love this and if two go up from the first this season... What's the problem?

We all know what the problem is. And if it comes to fruition that our Chairman, who has touted himself as a man of the fans. Your mate, the good guy. Has went for a quick buck, for the sake of the rules or The good and proper thing.

Then it should be the last decision he, and any of that board make.

Will our support do anything about it? No, they never have and never will. We are the most reactive fan base. A fan base lacking in people willing to step up. If there was a Partick thistle coat, it would be a rain soaked Mac.

Someone named Scotty Magoo made a terrific post on the horrendous fellow jags fans page on Facebook that sum up my thoughts to a tee on this:

The whole 'You're only hurting the club you love with a boycott' attitude is exactly the kind of blind devotion that those who run football clubs in this country rely on to shaft their own fans year after year. In Germany supporters don't hesitate to boycott matches if the powers at be try and ignore their views and have fantastic facilities, reasonably priced tickets and fan ownership to show for it.

I have no blinkered hatred for Rangers and no wish to see Scottish football die. I see an opportunity to set right certain aspects of our game to the benefit of Scottish football in the long term. The last 15 years have been the worst for Scottish football in our history, coinciding with the reign of the SPL and the peak of the spending powers of Rangers and Celtic.

I have no wish whatsoever to hurt the club, however it is absolutely imperative that they understand the seriousness of this issue. Clubs such as Dundee Utd etc have led the way and we have to follow in doing what is right. I believe that the board will do that if it comes down to that, but I have no guilt in saying if I believe the club have been complicit in accommodating Rangers Newco in any way other than expulsion and re-application to the bottom of the SFL, I will reduce my interest in Scottish football and by extension Partick Thistle considerably.

For all of those threatening to boycott Firhill next year over the Rangers/Newco issue please take a long hard look at yourselves. All you will be doing is harming the club that you claim to love. By boycotting your own club all you will be doing is helping us on the way to following Rangers into liquidation.

Partick Thistle Football Club is not David Beattie, nor is it the current board or any of the previous boards, managers or players. Partick Thistle belongs to the fans and if the fans care so little about the club that they are prepared to walk away from it as a protest against the actions of outside organisations then maybe the club deserves to die.

I for one will still support the club that I love no matter what happens. I dont base my support on what the SPL/SFL/SFA do, on what Rangers/ Newco/A.N Other club do or even what the present Partick Thistle Chairman says or does, I support my team because its the team I grew up supporting, because of the friends I made following the club and because simply of the enjoyment I have gained over the years watching Thistle.

For the record in case of any doubt. I believe that the Newco should start in Div 3. I'm just not willing to risk damaging my own club if they dont.

I take umbrage this patronising shite.

If the current club owners stands for this level injustice then they will never get any more of my money.

Any damage will have been been done by them, not I.

Here we go, the inevitable (few, thankfully) voices in support of preferential treatment for the defunct h u n s, using basically the same logic as the defunct h u n s' own supporters, which is that we (PTFC and all other clubs), need to change all the rules, throw the rulebook away in fact, just to make life a bit easier for them. Because if we don't we will not survive. I for one don't buy that argument, and I don't want to support a team or a football system that explicitly accepts that this is indeed the case.

I don't think I've seen anyone on this thread make that argument.

I've made my position clear, and it's similar to the OP. If the status quo remains the new team has to start (if it can) in Div 3.

I also believe that Scottish Football badly needs reconstruction. I believe that WE can exploit the current situation to achieve that. My absolute preference would be for that to be in place for 2013/ 14. I haven't yet seen anything, other than media speculatioin, to suggest that this will happen sooner. Until any new facts come out I'm certainly not threatening a boycott, but I am looking forward to the new season.

It'll be sad if restructuring does happen to see so many current fans of Thistle become former fans, really sad. But I wouldn't ciriticise anyone for that just as I don't criticise anyone for not supporting my team in the first place. But all I ask is that no-one criticise me or my friends and family for supporting our club.

Edited by Mr Scruff

Think for the vast majority it has nothing to do with a hatred of Rangers and those who are suggesting that it is, need to read the comments of people on here and try and understand where we are coming from.

It is about the game being played on a level playing field. We are not stupid wee boys. We know the Old Firm carry much weight and force in the game. If Partick Thistle or any other club other than the Old Firm had done what Gers have done, they would be in div 3 at best already.

If Gers are going to get preferential treatment, why are we bothering with football in this country?

I would imagine every single person who has said they would boycott is hurting like hell today.

Oh I don't claim to be a Partick Thistle supporter....I AM A PARTICK THISTLE SUPPORTER.

Hurting is right!

This will - or could be - my 40th season following the Jags. Before me came my father and before him his father. My son comes with me to the games. 4 generatons of Thistle in the blood of my family.

Until last weekend I was looking forward to this season as much as I have looked forward to any season for a long time. We have what I believe to be a talented young squad led by a talented young manager who wants to play attractive football and we seemed to have a progressive board and a new, positive relationship between club and fans.

And they say a week is a long time in politics!

The issue is not about hating Rangers. We all know that there are bigger clubs than Thistle in Scottish football and that over the course of a season those clubs will usually be stronger than us. We expect to lose more games against them than we win. We accept that there will be more poor seasons than good ones and we enjoy the good ones all the more for it. HOWEVER, we also expect that, no matter what you think of the distribution of monies or the inclinations of referees, whenever our team take to the field, whether they are playing Glasgow Rangers or Berwick Rangers,they will be playing by the same rules; that they and their opponents will observe the same laws of the game - both on and off the field.

Those rules have been broken. Those laws have been violated. The whole game in Scotland has been sullied - by one club. They have not apologised.They have not shown contrition. So far ,they have not even been punished. To do anything other than send them to the bottom of the pile to work their way back up is toshow them a leniency - even favouritism - that calls into question the whole sport. It would wrong. It would be unfair. It would be unjust. It would be more than I can stomach, I'm afraid.

So,even though Thistle is in my blood, I could not bring myself to watch a First Division that included Rangers next year. I just don't see the point in it.

If club chairmen vote for this they are as good as teling us all that honesty and integrity in sport don't matter, any more than the views of the fans. If they listen to their fans there is no way this will happen. I fervently hope that they will see sense and I can continue to support the club I love.

I will never stop supporting Partick Thistle. Never.

However, I will stop attending games if we assume the position and bow down to NewCo in Div 1. For the first season in a long time, I've been full of hope and expectation for our chances next season. For those chances to go down the drain for the sake of 2 home games against the poisonous bigots from the other side of the river would be a step too far for me.

If that makes me a lesser fan than the likes of Phoenix, so be it.

So you think I should spend my hard earned money on watching a farce of a league, that is dictated to by the biggest cheating sectarian club in the universe. Have a look at some of their fan sites and you will quickly see why they are hated by all other clubs in this country. Their arrogance is astonishing. If my club had done a quarter of what this lot have done I would have accepted it as a right result to have to apply for Div 3 football, but this lot appear to think "we are the people" we can do what we want and get away with it. Well my days of pumping cash into my club and football in this country will cease the minute it is confirmed that David Beattie and his board have backed this horrendous abomination of a club getting an entry to 2nd tier football. It will break my heart, but there is no way I can back my clubs stance in this matter. 100 years of my family following the jags will be over for good. My God I hope it doesnt come to that however the club have left me with no option if they continue down this road!!

Edited by Lindau

Hurting is right!

This will - or could be - my 40th season following the Jags. Before me came my father and before him his father. My son comes with me to the games. 4 generatons of Thistle in the blood of my family.

Until last weekend I was looking forward to this season as much as I have looked forward to any season for a long time. We have what I believe to be a talented young squad led by a talented young manager who wants to play attractive football and we seemed to have a progressive board and a new, positive relationship between club and fans.

The issue is not about hating Rangers. We all know that there are bigger clubs than Thistle in Scottish football and that over the course of a season those clubs will usually be stronger than us. We expect to lose more games against them than we win. We accept that there will be more poor seasons than good ones and we enjoy the good ones all the more for it. HOWEVER, we also expect that, no matter what you think of the distribution of monies or the inclinations of referees, whenever our team take to the field, whether they are playing Glasgow Rangers or Berwick Rangers,they will be playing by the same rules; that they and their opponents will observe the same laws of the game - both on and off the field.

Those rules have been broken. Those laws have been violated. The whole game in Scotland has been sullied - by one club. They have not apologised.They have not shown contrition. So far ,they have not even been punished. To do anything other than send them to the bottom of the pile to work their way back up is toshow them a leniency - even favouritism - that calls into question the whole sport. It would wrong. It would be unfair. It would be unjust. It would be more than I can stomach, I'm afraid.

So,even though Thistle is in my blood, I could not bring myself to watch a First Division that included Rangers next year. I just don't see the point in it.

If club chairmen vote for this they are as good as teling us all that honesty and integrity in sport don't matter, any more than the views of the fans. If they listen to their fans there is no way this will happen. I fervently hope that they will see sense and I can continue to support the club I love.

Amen to that.

Hurting is right!

Fantastic post. My son and daughter represent the 5th generation of Jaggy blood in my family and this situation has had me thinking of 'chucking it' more than any defeat or low point in our history has ever done (we've all been there several times I'm sure). If Thistle are implicit in allowing Newco into SFL1 next season, I don't think I could stomach it.

Hurting is right!

DJ, your post would be worth sending to the club by e-mail.

I would be the first to admit that the sectarian baggage carried by Ranger,s or their supporters in any guise does not lend itself, overmuch to feelings of empathy or indeed sympathy to those of us who for whatever reason decide not to follow the crowd.

That being said you seem to miss the point as to why so many people are up in arms, this is not a case of people wanting to waive a magic wand and put to right issues that should have been resolved years ago. What the strength of feeling reveals is a desire to draw a line in the sand to ensure a certain minimum level of sporting integrity. Without which participation in any sport at any level is rendered meaningless. I like many seek only to see football in this country run on a fair and equitable basis, without fear or favour.

I am not naive enough to expect that in future the voice of Partick Thistle will be heard at an equal volume as say that of Celtic, nonetheless I expect a certain minimum level of equity without which participation in any sport, at any level is rendered totally and completely pointless.

Great post DJ, just one point:

They have not apologised.They have not shown contrition. So far ,they have not even been punished. To do anything other than send them to the bottom of the pile to work their way back up is toshow them a leniency - even favouritism - that calls into question the whole sport. It would wrong. It would be unfair. It would be unjust. It would be more than I can stomach, I'm afraid.

There is no-one left to apologise. Who should do it now? Would David Murray or Craig White saying sorry make it easier for the new club to get into the 1st Division? (of course not and I agree with the sentiment of your post entirely). Rangers have paid, or will soon pay, the ultimate punishment in being liquidated. No more, gone, wiped away, Third Lanark, Airdire, defunct.

There should be no talk of punishing the newco, none at all. Just an application of the rules applied to all other clubs wishing to join the league.

Celtic have said for years that Rangers get special treatment and everyone has said they are paranoid. Now we are expected to accept special treatment for a new club, just because they play at Ibrox?

Anything other than application to Division 3, even at that I doubt they fulfil the entry criteria, is simply league fixing on a national scale.

As a Thistle fan I want no part in fixing Scottish football for 1 team, regardless of who it is. I would never question anyone for never returning to watch a fixed game. What is the point? Will decisions go their way to ensure promotion next year? Take a long hard look in the mirror - away and have a word with yourself.

The argument that this is a chance to get the league reconstructed is, not to put too fine a point on it, utter baws. We are 5 or 6 weeks away from our first cup game - the whole of Scottish Football, despite years or arguing and non commitment to change, can be fixed in just over a month. As we used to say at school, 'yer maw'.

Rangers are soon to be gone for good. Welcome to the newco's application to the 3rd Division of the SFL. If the rules are applied, expect competition from Spartans, Pollock or any other team that meets the entry requirements.