Just In Arr Craib Cup Final

Camallain

Thistle secured their first trophy of the season with a stunning performance this afternoon. Leading 1-0 at half time through Sean Welsh bullet header the Jags went on to completely dominate the second half, in fact I have rarely seen a Thistle side quite so much in control of a game as I witnessed today. Sean Welsh added a second from the penalty spot shortly after the restart and then completely against the run of play Everton pulled one back however Thistle wasted little time in restoring a two goal cushion as Stuart Bannigan slotted home number three. There then followed three offiside goals for the Jags as they continued to totally dominate. The match may have finished 3-1 but that scoreline seriously flatters the Everton XI.

Well done the Jags :fan: :fan:

Edited by Camallain

Delighted to have made the trip up the country for those two performances! Decided to treat myself to a First Class train upgrade in celebration :drink2:

Thought we were just as good, if not better than yesterday, which is encouraging considering it was a totally different front three we played. Really enjoying the fluidity the team are showing with people looking comfortable in various positions.

As for the players Welsh looks like he will be a very big player next year; he has a very good footballing head on his shoulders. Bannigan, in the second half especially, is really impressing me and its hard to see him not starting the season in the first XI either in midfield or left wing back. These were the two stand outs for me but elsewhere Elliot again looks like the player we hoped he would be when he first arrived, Doolan showed nice touches, Craigen slotted in comfortably and didn't look out of place at all whilst Hugh Murray and Paul Paton deserve credit for two solid performances.

Was nice to see Kenny Arthur and Johnny Tuffey take in the game and in an unrelated note Steven Naismith appears to be sitting across from me on the train!

Wohoo great preseason!!!!

Usually means a sh1t season!!!!!

too true; but I have to keep pinching myself to keep that in mind: all 4 of the pre-season games have been good, but today really was cracking - against a much better side that that which yesterday beat one of out league rivals, so take nothing away from Thistle's performance today.

The third off-side goal in the 2nd half was preceded by TWENTY consecutive passes from Thistle.

I must admit to having a wee concern or two about the defence, but that midfield could really monster the league this year...

Good to hear, but I fear harder challenges lie ahead than a couple of youth teams.

True, but look at it this way - Thistle got more penny for penny from its meagre (we are told) outlay than the biggest club in Scotland and one of the biggest clubs in England.

I hope that goes on.

I think its a good thing the opposition will gradually improve over the next two weeks with a 3rd division then a 2nd division team.

Beat an English premier league reserve side today. One of their players I understand cost a million pounds. No disrespect to Clyde or forfar but i doubt either will be a step up in opposition. Too many are too quick to dismiss the Everton side today. Granted it was a friendly but this result should do our own very young side the world of good!

Beat an English premier league reserve side today. One of their players I understand cost a million pounds. No disrespect to Clyde or forfar but i doubt either will be a step up in opposition. Too many are too quick to dismiss the Everton side today. Granted it was a friendly but this result should do our own very young side the world of good!

I'm with you on this one! If either today's Everton side or yesterday's Celtic outfit were in the Scottish first division they would be expected to win it at a canter, they would probably be expected to hold their own in the SPL as well so winning this trophy in the manner in which we did is a real achievement and something to be proud off :thumbsup:

Very impressed with the performances over the weekend especially considering the fact that Rowson missed both matches and Archie did not play today. If the pitch stays in excellent condition it will really help with the style of play that Jackie wants, the fans will also need to play their part when the team are playing the passing game from the back as getting anxious and screaming for the ball to be humped up the pitch won't help.

Credit to the Everton fans and team for staying to applaud our guys at the end. Any idea what the crowd was today?

True, but look at it this way - Thistle got more penny for penny from its meagre (we are told) outlay than the biggest club in Scotland and one of the biggest clubs in England.

Yes I'd imagine the wages that the Celtic XI and Everton XI boys are on must be seriously in excess of our budget. Makes the two victories all the sweeter!

Btw thanks for the video clips Camallain and Brodie Boy. I couldnt make it along today so great to see.

I thought the Everton fans yesterday were top class. Always stopping to have a chat and share stories. Some of them seem dead committed in terms of following not only the first team but the next XI round the country. Airdrie fans? Hardly got a word out of them...

I wasn't so sure that McGuigan's was offside. I thought it looked like the Everton player tackling played it towards him rather than a pass but I'm more than likely talking nonsense.

Impossible to tell from the video above - the ball is in the air at the start so you can't tell whether he was offside when the ball was played.