Just In

uberteeb

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brilliant game. Awful defending by us. Queens had 4 chances in the whole game and scored all of them. However in the past we might have lost that game but tonight we didnt give up. Look at morton losing tonight. It shows that it does not matter how you win. The important thing is that we are into the next round. With archie and shuggie back on saturday we will be more solid. Hope sean welsh is ok.

The lad Shankland for Queens Park who scored their first, only 17 and had already been spoken highly of before this game by Spiders fans. Could be a real player for the future

Would take him now.. it was his 1st start for QP, after 4 sub apprearances. Already scored 4 goals! He clearly has an eye for goal and gets stuck in too. Would be surprised if he was still at Queens beyond January as looks a real find.

Negatives out the way: Jackie needs to get his first team sorted out fast. Being charitable a loan-out for Scully at least, he didn't see the goals coming in at all. I thought here we go.. chucked out the double-diddy-cup yet again. Were QP being really dirty? Can't believe Welsh got stretchered off, and that elbow incident... shocking.

Positives: five goals and saved the day. Great stuff. And what a Ridiculously large turnout, what got into the troops tonight it was like the whole JH was there! AND.... not chucked out the double-diddy-cup after all! (ps: made last orders in the Thornwood, pleasing).

Edit: trouble spelling 'Ridiculously'!

Edited by alx

Some players seem to get it in the neck on a regular basis for daring not to hide and having the balls to take on a man and try and do something inventive and entertaining, mainly Erskine and O'Donnell, it'll be Lawless and Bannigan soon no doubt. There was a guy behind me muttering about Erskine all through the game. You need inventive players not afraid to try something difficult, people need to realise it won't come off every time.

McGuigan and Craigen are new to this, they both look alright to me and the cross chipped in by Craigen for Elliots header was sweet.

And just not to seem like a happy clapper the player that dissapointed me most tonight was Paton who looked a little lost in midfield without a Rowson or Murray alongside him and I'm sure it was him with the pish schoolboy error header back into no one in the middle of the park that led to either the second or third QP goal.

And finally, QP were incredibly fortunate everything they got on target went in, on another day only 1 goes in and we leave thinking it was easy and we bossed the game.

Edited by uberteeb

For all the inexperience this side had, they were still able to noticably shift up a gear when we went 4-3 down in the 86min. And Queens put 10 men behind the ball at that point. If that side can have a 'we're going to score one more than you' mentality, I think it bodes well for the 1st team this season.

IMO Paton was great tonight and Lawless looked sharp when he came on. I think Muirhead is given undue stick - he's settled pretty well and I think he'll really benefit from having Archie beside him this season. There are very few players I thought were poor tonight, which made the result a little bizarre.

Love going to games like that with my son - had a chat with him after the game about how supporting Thistle is sometimes difficult, but the rewards are fu(king brilliant. Think he understood.

Some players seem to get it in the neck on a regular basis for daring not to hide and having the balls to take on a man ... There was a guy behind me muttering about Erskine all through the game. You need inventive players not afraid to try something difficult, people need to realise it won't come off every time.

And just not to seem like a happy clapper the player that dissapointed me most tonight was Paton who looked a little lost in midfield

You got to call it as you see it, so fair enough... but I thought Paton was cracking, especially in the first half. As for Erskine, I don't think I've ever seen a player play so badly and still score two goals! I never shout abuse at players, but I can kind of understand him getting pelters tonight.

Would take him now.. it was his 1st start for QP, after 4 sub apprearances. Already scored 4 goals! He clearly has an eye for goal and gets stuck in too. Would be surprised if he was still at Queens beyond January as looks a real find.

Similar wording to what some folk were saying about a certain Ian Watt two or three seasons ago.

Was telling folk in my local tonight that the kick off in a Challenge Cup game at Hampden was held up for 15 mins to let the crowd in. Needless to say they thought I'd been hallucinating.

Btw that performance tonight was like watching the Jags thirty to fifty years ago. Only then in true Thistle style the main culprits would've been our experienced players. It's nights like tonight that used to sum up what it's like to be a Jags supporter.

Watson Towers I agree Paton had a good game, but I think your comments re: Erskine are way off the mark. Every time he got involved we looked dangerous, he always wants the ball, never hides, was trying shots from everywhere, forced keeper into a few saves. Yes, he is often dispossessed or tries things that don't come off. A winger/attacking player who beats his man every time and scores or sets up a goal does not play at our level of football, he is a Partick Thistle player we signed from the Juniors, he's come off the bench and got us 2 goals to get us out of jail. I dread to think what would have happened tonight if he hadn't been playing. I can't see what was wrong with his performance? Why does he merit pelters? I honestly think it was the quality (lack of) player that he had to link up with tonight that took away from his performance, christ knows what someone has to do to not get abuse. There were a lot of things wrong with Thistle tonight, Erskine was nowhere near one of them

What would a watching Dunfermline scout be able to take from the game?

Not an awful lot IMO.

Jackie changed the system we played from Falkirk game on Saturday along with half the team!

At 3-3 Lawless came on & looked sharp, Erskine was as is Erskine is- sublime or ridiculous ( typical Jags player as been said many times).

Point is the main spine of what will be Jackie's team were missing. Namely, Fox, Archie, Murray & Doolan. That along with the midfield driving force of last night's starting team, Welsh, going off after about 5-10 mins & I think you have to say result was more important for us than performance.

Think it's very harsh to single out players for criticism considering this was first start competitively for many of them.

4 games & 4 wins as a start to season not to be sniffed at. Roll on Saturday.

Edited to add I genuinely wrote this without seeing Jackie's post match comments. Must be mellowing in my old age that I agree with any manager of PTFC let alone write the same thing about spine of team.

Edited by Trotter

Ian Watt , done the same against Clyde apparently , QP supporting mate doesn't have a clue why.

I wonder why it is that Paul cairney can get booked for a photoshot at Dundee and then this guy can gesture twice at the Thistle fans in full view of the referee without anything happening. It wasn't like there had been any 'banter' with him before he had come on. Sounds like the guy has issues.

Just to echo what has been said already - what a game! One that, from our point of view, was epic entertainment but, for the managers, will have been an absolute nightmare.

I thought that Jackie played a very risky strategy; one, by changing the formation and secondly, by making too many changes. It very nearly bit him on the arse.

Scully has got a lot to work on; he needs games and not with us. Let's look at the basics of goalkeeping - shot stopping, handling, positioning, communication and kicking. His shot stopping is good, sometimes parries the ball in front of him but, on the whole, he's pretty solid in this area. His handling can be inconsistent and, much like Fox, he is extremely timid and is rarely heard shouting at his defenders. His positioning, in my opinion, is awful; if a goalkeeper stands still for as many goals as I've seen Scully, you've got to begin to question his starting position. He's still very young for a goalkeeper and that's his saving grace.

I think the game put to bed the nonsensical pre-season chat that Archie is done. Conrad is short of match sharpness but he was hauled all over the place last night and was, at times, chasing shadows. Muirhead has had a great start to his Thistle career but, as I said after the Falkirk game, it's important to pair him with someone experienced like Archie otherwise he may lose his way.

I've never been his biggest fan but O'Donnell was excellent last night and was probably my Man of the Match. He seems to have knuckled down on the defensive responsibilities of a wing-back and his positioning appears to have improved considerably. In the first half particularly, he skinned the left-back on a number of occasions and his pace was a constant problem for QP. In fact, I think the QP left-back could have caused us some problems had he not been on the back foot due to O'Donnell's speed.

Easy to say this from hindsight but I think we would have been more comfortable had Welsh not been assaulted and stretchered off. How on the earth was that challenge not, at least, a yellow card!? It wasn't as it Welsh stuck his head somewhere it shouldn't. As Jackie said, horrendous. Very relieved he's not seriously injured because he's a big player for us.

While we're on the subject of suspect challenges, I've seen red cards for the elbow that Quinn caught Muirhead with. He had been leading with his elbows all night and, on this particular occasion, he full-on smashed Muirhead on the side of his face. Thought it was quite lenient to only give a yellow for that.

Bannigan started the game in the same manner as he ended Saturday's - not very well; however, by the end, he was pulling the strings and was back to looking like the player who has been a stand-out recently. His goal was a great strike - not sure which was better, Bannigan's or Shankland's.

Elsewhere, Craigen set up two (or was it three?) of the goals but was poor in possession and gave the ball away in the lead up to one of QP's equalisers. Think there's a decent player in there though. Sinclair had a good first half but faded in the second and reverted to his habit from last season of over-hitting his crosses. Pates is the Boss. Like Saturday, Erskine was Erskine; took his goals very well though. Christie worked hard but struggled to make the ball stick; I tend to think he may be better as a wide player. McGuigan wasn't at the races and hasn't been any of the times I've seen him this season. Worrying. Still think we need another striker.

A bit cliched but the most positive thing I took from last night was the character that was shown to bounce back from being behind twice, especially so late in the game, to win. We hadn't seen how the team reacted to going a goal down so it is definitely encouraging. As it has been said, we would have lost that game last season - no doubt at all.

Edited by Armand2

maybe next time a player does this, we should just laugh and point at him, instead of doing what he wants us to do, and have a right hissy fit!

Just another episode in what was a rather surreal evening.

Btw does anyone know what Ian Watt's middle name is? I assume it'll be Thomas, Terence, Timothy or the likes,

Like Saturday this was a cracking piece of entertainment. We showed a lot of character to come back and this has been missing from this side last year.

Paton was my man of the match, really imposed himself on the game. Bannigan played well and also O'Donnell – both these players are maturing and both are getting more confident.

Craigen was very poor in my opinion, maybe harsh on him since it’s was his first start though. He is good technically and I think a loan move to a third division club till Xmas would be the best thing for him. He will not play for us much on that performance.

Both Christie and McGuigan did not do much for their claims for a first team slot. Christie works hard though and as with on Saturday he will get on when we are looking see a game out.

With Scully, ideally I don’t think he should play when he has two inexperienced centre backs in front of him. Let’s hope it does not affect his confidence too much and as people have said a loan move makes sense for him.

Don’t fancy our chances much if any of Doolan, Fox or Archie gets injured for any length of time. Would like to see us bring in another experienced player in either defence or a striker.

Similar wording to what some folk were saying about a certain Ian Watt two or three seasons ago.

Was telling folk in my local tonight that the kick off in a Challenge Cup game at Hampden was held up for 15 mins to let the crowd in. Needless to say they thought I'd been hallucinating.

Btw that performance tonight was like watching the Jags thirty to fifty years ago. Only then in true Thistle style the main culprits would've been our experienced players. It's nights like tonight that used to sum up what it's like to be a Jags supporter.

Aye, I had to pinch myself to remember that I wasn't watching a team from the late 70's/early 80's still it was suoerb entertainment. If not exactly of a Barcelona or Spanish nature...lol!

ohya...terrible challenge and by the looks of it Welshy has no chance of playing on saturday.

Last night, wow. Strange game, no really poor performers but Craigen and Erskine had stinkers mixed with moments of class...one set up 2 (arguably 3) goals and one stuck 2 chances away. Scully lost all confidence after the fluffed backpass in the 1st minute and our defence did too.

Anyway 2 mega bonuses for me. We were heading out at 4-3 down when my 7 year old son needed a pee....so were in the bog when Bannigan scored rather than the car park. Went back to watch extra-time when Squiddy won it...cheers Son :D

Cherry on the cake time. For the first time (and he's been to about 20 games now and only seen us lose once) he took a real interest in the game (only towards the end tho grrr). All the way back to the car he spoke about what just happened, then he said "I feel so aliiive!!". Magic :D , didnt have the heart to tell him that when you follow Thistle that feeling is a rare one.

Typical tho, he now can't wait for the next game (will be Dumbarton at Firhill) and there's me looking forward to another day in The New Shed. Looks like we'll be starting off the singing in the Thistle Futures section of the JHS then :)

I thought that Jackie played a very risky strategy; one, by changing the formation and secondly, by making too many changes. It very nearly bit him on the arse.

Question from afar, isn't our squad thin enough that Jackie simply has to rest players especially for smaller cup competitions? Given the league has to be the priority this year I'd have thought keeping key players fit and ready was good management.