Just Out - Firhill 25/08/12

sandy

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought Thistle were trying to create a family friendly atmosphere, having home fans shouting paedo and beast within earshot of families with kids doesn't seem to be very family friendly to me! if your delighted with yourself after that then good for you :thumbsup2:

If that's the case then lets make Firhill no swearing, no abuse to players and we can all be happy clappy people. Anyone caught swearing chucked out straight away just so the kids are not offended and we keep the family friendly environment! :thumbsup2:

A couple of the onethistle folk had a quiet word with the Shed Boys; they helped sort it.

Low key, respectful stewarding is the way to do these things.

Eh no what happened was one of your onethistle volunteers picked one guy and told him to stop it! Singled him out and to me it was a bit of a joke as he was told he would be chucked out if he didn't stop singing it.

He wasn't the only one singing it and it didn't stop cos you had a quiet word.

LMJ, when I went up I spoke to Potty Trained and Ian Mac. Issue sorted. They are sound.

No idea what you saw, but dont cast stones at onethistle more generally. The stewards today in

north stand did not know how to deal with the situation.

Perhaps you need to give fan volunteers a bit of slack?

LMJ, when I went up I spoke to Potty Trained and Ian Mac. Issue sorted. They are sound.

No idea what you saw, but dont cast stones at onethistle more generally. The stewards today in

If indeed that actually happened; what evidence do you have?

It's not about giving someone any slack. This oneThistle volunteer singled out this 16 year old. The guy is a steamer but a sound young guy who just enjoys a good laugh at the game,

My problem is singling him out and telling him he would be chucked out. He's 16, he wasn't the only one and he was targeted. The guy said if he did get chucked out he wouldn't come back. Is that what you want?

The evidence is the fact he came up to the middle of the row in front of the guy, the guy wa sin front of me and plenty of other fans saw it. Are you calling us a liar?

The north stands a great idea but does feel like what we can sing is fine as long as you approve of it. It's only 2 weeks in, it's going to die on it's arse if you keep complaining when you don't like a song.

Edited by little_miss_jag

I'm sorry but telling 1 young guy to stop it or he'd be out is no better than the stewards coming up and doing that themselves.

If indeed that actually happened; what evidence do you have?

What evidence would I have? I'm not likely to film it or get witness statements at a game of football am I? Good to see that as long as there's no evidence then it definitely didn't happen. The boy was 3rd row from the back directly behind the goals, I won't be the only 1 nearby who saw him being told off for the Lithgow stuff and gesturing to the away support.

You've asked for feedback and you're getting it. Toaster said the catering was shite, make sure he gets you some evidence before actually taking any notice.

Then what were they doing stewarding? Not a pop at you, Sandy.

It was a guy with specs and a wee note pad and he was standing at the front of the North stand before the game.

Cheers, that's helpful. I can speak to hiMy point is that we had stewards, police and onethistle people around today; it could have been any one if those. That's why feedback has to be specific and also constructive.

If there is one thing Thistle fans have always been champion at it's moaning, starting a thread invting the moans is always going to result in this :frantic:

My only comment is that if you are letting us all have a laugh in the North Stand then give the Dumbarton fans a break in the away end, the wee guys standing, singing and clapping were doing no harm. I'm the first to moan about Dundee, Dunfermline, Livingston, etc. when it happens to us. Let them have their fun. Glad to see common sense prevail in the end when they were asked to move to the side rather than getting papped out.

Der de de de der :music:

just stick to singing Jags songs, aye you might think its mental all ganging up and abusing the guy but its embarassing for the club.

Can you make a list of songs that are allowed at football? Are songs like "I can't read..." unacceptable since they abuse the opposition? Is it unfair to single out Section B as wanks? Or is it just calling a sex offender a sex offender which isn't OK?

Can you make a list of songs that are allowed at football? Are songs like "I can't read..." unacceptable since they abuse the opposition? Is it unfair to single out Section B as wanks? Or is it just calling a sex offender a sex offender which isn't OK?

just sing fitbaw songs like we have been doing, aye they include swearing but I think the paedophile stuff is a bit much IMO, maybe not in POTM and LMJ's opinions, no need for bile like paedo being sung at firhill, thats all I'm saying. I'm not trying to act all uber-super thistle fan like some folk , the north stand fans support of the club was great all game but I just didn't see the need to lower ourselves to Rangers-esque singing!

Re lithgow,

Sandy came up and had a word and word was spread, the term Paedo all but disappeared in the second half.

And the abuse was altered to more specifically around his crime.

The fact remains, it's a football match, the guy is on the sex offenders register and if he wants to take part in a competitive team sport, then he's got to expect fans are going to have a pop at him to try and put him off his game.

The incident with the singling out of the lad, I don't know what was said, but the volunteer should know the drill and have spoken directly to me or Ian. That's what's been agreed. If the police or stewards have an issue, they speak to a volunteer who relays it to me or Ian. We in turn feed it back to the support.

It worked at Falkirk and should have worked today.

As Toaster said, the catering needs attention. The quality is poor and its priced as though its michelin star standard.

As POTM said regarding the singing of songs that may offend, where do we draw the line? Obviously we dont want racist or bigoted songs, but (light hearted)abuse has to be allowed. I mean, sitting watching a game and only being able to sing "Come on Thistle" would kill the atmosphere nearly as much as having crowd noise piped through the PA system :blush:.

as a parent taking a 8 and 7 yr old along I do so expecting to hear the full assortment of football songs. it might sound like i'm a bad parent but my kids will hear just as much at any primary school these days than they will in any football stand.

That said thankfully neither of my 2 heard the peado chants as that's one I really would not want to start trying to explain to them. BUT with that said I do fully expect to hear all sorts of language and abuse getting fired around a stadium. Its my responsibility to educate my kids that what their hearing is just an outburst of a passionate fan and in the case of the chants and songs merely a bit of rivalry which there is nothing wrong with in itself. that leaves the ball in my court to educate my kids as to whats right and whats wrong.

but if anyone out there thinks that kids of a primary school age are not using language and abuse just as bad as this in the playgrounds of Glasgow then they are dreaming.

and as above the catering is beyond poor :(

someone said to me the other day they had heard a rumour of greggs taking over the catering at firhill next season. any truth in this?

Edited by Toaster

"Paedo" should not have been used at all today - because he was not convicted of that, so to use that term is factually incorrect.

But everything else is fair game.

Banter is a major part of football - always has been and always will be. Banter between fans and banter between players and fans. Lithgoe knew he would get grief wherever he played - if it bothered him that much, he should have changed his job.

But one thing I cannot understand is why someone is upset at a convicted sex offender getting a bit of grief from the stands.

"Paedo" should not have been used at all today - because he was not convicted of that, so to use that term is factually incorrect.

But everything else is fair game.

Banter is a major part of football - always has been and always will be. Banter between fans and banter between players and fans. Lithgoe knew he would get grief wherever he played - if it bothered him that much, he should have changed his job.

But one thing I cannot understand is why someone is upset at a convicted sex offender getting a bit of grief from the stands.

agreed a more educated choice of abuse would have been better as he's not a convicted peado. iirc he was done with exposing himself infront of women and children, but none the less the guy is a seedy pervert and deserving of all the abuse flying his way in my eyes.