Just Out - Firhill 25/08/12

sandy

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as a parent taking a 8 and 7 yr old along I do so expecting to hear the full assortment of football songs. it might sound like i'm a bad parent but my kids will hear just as much at any primary school these days than they will in any football stand.

That said thankfully neither of my 2 heard the peado chants as that's one I really would not want to start trying to explain to them. BUT with that said I do fully expect to hear all sorts of language and abuse getting fired around a stadium. Its my responsibility to educate my kids that what their hearing is just an outburst of a passionate fan and in the case of the chants and songs merely a bit of rivalry which there is nothing wrong with in itself. that leaves the ball in my court to educate my kids as to whats right and whats wrong.

but if anyone out there thinks that kids of a primary school age are not using language and abuse just as bad as this in the playgrounds of Glasgow then they are dreaming.

My thoughts exactly toaster. Great post imo

My thoughts exactly toaster. Great post imo

Christ you should hear some of the things my 2 come away with when they think me or Mrs Toaster are out of earshot. but to flip the thread a bit away from the unsavoury stuff. twas a great day out 6 out of 6 in the lucky away top oh and most definitely a lack of singing in the JHS maybe we could get a few of the onethistle guys to join us in the kids section next week ?

Christ you should hear some of the things my 2 come away with when they think me or Mrs Toaster are out of earshot. but to flip the thread a bit away from the unsavoury stuff. twas a great day out 6 out of 6 in the lucky away top oh and most definitely a lack of singing in the JHS maybe we could get a few of the onethistle guys to join us in the kids section next week ?

All we need to do is get a bunch of parents who are taking their kids to the game to get together and join in with the north stand when it gets going.

Alan Lithgow has been booked for next week :frantic:

It's not about giving someone any slack. This oneThistle volunteer singled out this 16 year old. The guy is a steamer but a sound young guy who just enjoys a good laugh at the game,

My problem is singling him out and telling him he would be chucked out. He's 16, he wasn't the only one and he was targeted. The guy said if he did get chucked out he wouldn't come back. Is that what you want?

If he is "a steamer" and is 16 then he needs to get a bit of reality. That's not the way we should be condoning.

Catering down the city end of the JH cannot cope with the amount of punters - and we 'only' had 3000 yesterday. I actually wandered along to the kids section and the queues were a lot quieter there, but that was leaving my seat around 44mins which I hate doing.

Movement in the concourse is sevely limited by this system we've got in place now - bring back the crash barriers and one queue for each stall.

Was wondering about the Heineken bar at the city end - don't know what it's got in it (and it would mean getting more staff) but could that possibly be used as a 'drinks only' outlet?

and as above the catering is beyond poor :(

someone said to me the other day they had heard a rumour of greggs taking over the catering at firhill next season. any truth in this?

That would be a great, great shame. There are some great little fast food business around western Glasgow that, I'd like to think, would do the supporters some great matchday nosh.

How does the club go about farming out its catering?

The catering is a problem, there is no doubt about that.

I know that the onethistle guys are trying to change this, but their hands are tied to an extent.

They can go to the caterers and say, "Please up your game" but the caterers were awarded with a fixed term contract by the club before onethistle was formed, so whether they actually do as they are asked is a different story.

One thing I know for sure is that Jim, Sandy and Lance are making a note of every concern that they read on here, and everything they see on a matchday.

As has been stated, a lot of things can't be changed over night, but the fact that the fans are now being listened to is progress in itself.

Nail on head LLD.

So LMJ and POTM do you still think it was wrong that a responsible adult had a quiet word with him?

I do. He was doing no more or less than anyone else in the stand, he was hardly falling around pished either and by the look of him there's no way of telling he was under 18 so the 'responsible adult' having a word was hardly out of concern for him, especialy with threats of ejection being dished out. If anyone spoke to me the way he spoke to that boy and then excused it with "I'm a Jags fan too" and pointing to his shirt he'd be kindly told to **** right off.

As I''ve learned from this thread the agreed way of managing the crowd was to have the stewards or volunteers to have a word with ian_mac or potty trained who could have a quiet word with those involved. If that had happened and someone had come along not wearing his high vis jacket and had a word with the group of us in a less threatening manner then the situation would have been handled a lot better. You only need to look at the difference between the stewards handling the away fans vs Jim having a word later on to see the difference that treating the paying customers with respect can do.

Let's not pretend that there's any sort of genuine outrage that a few 16/17 year olds might have a drink and go to the football either before this goes any further and is used as an excuse for the actions of the person involved.

I appreciate that sandy and this is in no way an attack on those of you who are working hard to make a difference to the matchday experience. The North Stand so far has been a huge success story for the club and it's down to One Thistle so if I've been in any way overcritical then I apologise. It's much easier to complain about the bad points than discuss the good work that has been done.

I just felt that it was appropriate to bring up any incidents that I feel complete undermine the good work that a few of you are trying to do.

the access to the toilets at half time has become a joke with the queues for the catering hatches now stretching into the stadium areas. maybe get the countess of wemyss onto this one? lots of people commenting on stock running out at the catering outlets too. i remember in the past the catering being highly praised and them being on forums talking to fans. take it the people running the catering isn't them anymore?

Lithgow himself turned to the fans and had a laugh about it at one point. You commit the crime you do the time and when that involves a footballer being on the register for something like what he did then the time is gonna be a hard time, wherever he goes.

If people are so precious about their little ones hearing things like this at A FOOTBALL MATCH then they shouldn't be taking them.