Just Out - Thistle Vs Cowdenbeath 22.09.12

sandy

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen this happen before, where I've been offered comps that people obviously have been given and aren't going to use for whatever reason. I didn't notice the woman yesterday, but heard two guys next to me on the way up talking about it. Commendably, their attitude was 'I'd rather give my money to the club', but I'm sure she'll have got rid of them. I don't know how you get round the problem, but I'd encourage anybody going to the game that was going to pay in, not to take them, or to take them and hand them in so that they can be identified.

Far better to do the latter.

Could the mystery woman passing out the comps perhaps have something directly to do with one of the sponsors?

Years ago my cousin's husband went to his only jags game ever and got handed a comp on Maryhill Rd by a total stranger. The tight git had just dodged his round in Hubbards aforehand. Grrrrrr! Talk about falling in the Clyde and emerging with a salmon in yer mooth.

One time I was on my way to Firhill back when I lived in Glasgow, must have been very skint as I was pay at the gate at the time. Think it might have been one season where I only went to one game I was that skint. As I passed the doors to the offices, an old guy was offering me a comp he had. Not only was I incredibly sceptical, I thought it was pretty shit of me to deprive the club of money, so I said no and paid my way in (the guy thought there must have been something wrong with me, deciding I'd pay money for something I could have got for free). Sadly, Alx's cousin's husband or someone similar was probably stood behind me, so I might as well have taken the comp.

Regarding the comps, guy came up the hill having been given one on the way in and fair play to him he then purchased £17 worth of 50/50s from me. So not all bad news and a brilliant gesture.

To an extent.

A brilliant gesture would have been actually paying to get in. What he did was to give himself 34 chances of winning £400-odd.

I won tickets to a cup game last year at Firhill - I won 4 tickets - does it make me a terrible fan that I didn't pay in to that game and gave 1 ticket to a queens fan and one random guy in the q?

I got given a comp at Raith last year from a random fan - should I have said no and paid in or is it only comps at Firhill people have a problem with?

Getting a comp is not a crime as far as I am aware.

The comps issue is a difficult one.

To a certain extent - the club has little control over who gets them. This is a problem for all clubs, and is a culture that has been in existence for as long as people have been paying in to football matches.

Players friends and families, sponsors, scouts from other clubs etc. There is nothing to stop these people distributing these tickets to whoever they choose.

Julie Ann, I'm sure you are aware of all this.

In these tough times, I'd be hope that the club are keeping a close eye on the number of comps being issued.

Edited by ian_mac

I won tickets to a cup game last year at Firhill - I won 4 tickets - does it make me a terrible fan that I didn't pay in to that game and gave 1 ticket to a queens fan and one random guy in the q?

I got given a comp at Raith last year from a random fan - should I have said no and paid in or is it only comps at Firhill people have a problem with?

Getting a comp is not a crime as far as I am aware.

Entering a competition and winning tickets to the match is a different situation - i'd be surprised if anybody thought you were a terrible fan for this.

Comps are inevitable. I think all that is being argued on here is that where comps are issued, the club should ask that they are returned if not going to be used. The club sees no benefit to people getting the unused comps - they were on their way to the game and were going to pay in - nobody can make the arguement that 'they might come back in the future' - they were already going. All they've done is save themselves the cash.

As for other grounds - as you say, it's not a crime. However, I am pretty sure a similar discussion would have been had on a Raith fan forum if they knew that away fans were getting in for free on unused comps. All we want is whats best for our respective clubs - to get as many paying fans in through the gate.

The comps issue is a difficult one.

To a certain extent - the club has little control over who gets them. This is a problem for all clubs, and is a culture that has been in existence for as long as people have been paying in to football matches.

Players friends and families, sponsors, scouts from other clubs etc. There is nothing to stop these people distributing these tickets to whoever they choose.

Julie Ann, I'm sure you are aware of all this.

In these tough times, I'd be hope that the club are keeping a close eye on the number of comps being issued.

interesting edit from your original post

Wasn't it a season or two back that the club said they were no longer doing comps? Or was it that they were no longer doing comps for certain people?

Twinny you are correct it was Club Policy but to be honest the hassle factor it was causing with both our players and other Clubs simply wasnt worth the bother - in the grand scale of the losses being incurred at PTFC it wasnt worth the negativity.

Players from Real Madrid to PTFC get two comps ,after that in the bigger Clubs they pay at a discounted rate for the next 10 and full rate after that up to twenty in total.

There will be the odd Comp that slips through the system ,we try and manage it as best as possible,Comps are monitored and discussed with Maxi - Financial Controls are pretty tight these days and despite falling crowds we achieved a small trading profit last year - its been noted and will be tightened up.

Of more concern was the fact the Female Toilets were way below the standard they should be - that impacts on our All our Female Supporters.I have great sympathy with the poster with Young Kids - we will review proceedures for future games- also a word of thanks to the Jags Trust people who also made me aware of it.

If Julie Ann hadnt kindly pointed it out then the "spare comp" would have impacted on the couple of people who saw the transaction.

And of even greater concern is the fact Espanyol only have one point :thumbdown: .

Entering a competition and winning tickets to the match is a different situation - i'd be surprised if anybody thought you were a terrible fan for this.

Comps are inevitable. I think all that is being argued on here is that where comps are issued, the club should ask that they are returned if not going to be used. The club sees no benefit to people getting the unused comps - they were on their way to the game and were going to pay in - nobody can make the arguement that 'they might come back in the future' - they were already going. All they've done is save themselves the cash.

As for other grounds - as you say, it's not a crime. However, I am pretty sure a similar discussion would have been had on a Raith fan forum if they knew that away fans were getting in for free on unused comps. All we want is whats best for our respective clubs - to get as many paying fans in through the gate.

But I won through william hill who were giving away 4 free comps cos they were not going to use them. Should William Hill not have had a competition running for comps they were not going to use?

Would you return a comp if your were not going to use it or would you hand it to your mate/nearest jags fan? I know what I would do.

I understand what is being discussed on here but at the end of the day comps is just sometihng clubs do and someone offering a spare comp to a jags fan is not the end of the world.

If the person had a book of them and you were losing 20 fans then yes this would be an issue.

But it is one or 2 free comps its not the end of the world.

But we are winning so lets moan about something eh?

Edited by little_miss_jag

But I won through william hill who were giving away 4 free comps cos they were not going to use them. Should William Hill not have had a competition running for comps they were not going to use?

Would you return a comp if your were not going to use it or would you hand it to your mate/nearest jags fan? I know what I would do.

I understand what is being discussed on here but at the end of the day comps is just sometihng clubs do and someone offering a spare comp to a jags fan is not the end of the world.

If the person had a book of them and you were losing 20 fans then yes this would be an issue.

But it is one or 2 free comps its not the end of the world.

But we are winning so lets moan about something eh?

I don't know you outside this forum, so I don't know if you are on the wind-up posting that, but i'll bite.

I agree with you on a lot of what you post, but on this one we're at opposite ends of the spectrum.

Julie-Ann saw it happening, some people said they didn't, i've just said i've been offered comps before and saw evidence of it on Saturday. I've given my opinion on comps as have you. We disagree, but nobody is moaning. I can't agree with this on the basis that it isn't illegal and not many people benefit from it.

It's a topic for feedback - this happened. If the club don't see it as an issue or it's a low priority, that's fine.

Edited by MerryHell

I don't know you outside this forum, so I don't know if you are on the wind-up posting that, but i'll bite.

I agree with you on a lot of what you post, but on this one we're at opposite ends of the spectrum.

Julie-Ann saw it happening, some people said they didn't, i've just said i've been offered comps before and saw evidence of it on Saturday. I've given my opinion on comps as have you. We disagree, but nobody is moaning. I can't agree with this on the basis that it isn't illegal and not many people benefit from it.

It's a topic for feedback - this happened. If the club don't see it as an issue or it's a low priority, that's fine.

I am not on the wind up it just feels like such a silly thing for people to get upset by. It is just a silly comp ticket, yes the club lost £17 does it really matter? These things happen. If i had a spare comp I would find someone to take it, I wouldn't see the point in handing it back to the club.

Is it feedback when people are moaning that the guy should not have bought £17 of 50/50s and instead should have just paid in?

I am not on the wind up it just feels like such a silly thing for people to get upset by. It is just a silly comp ticket, yes the club lost £17 does it really matter? These things happen. If i had a spare comp I would find someone to take it, I wouldn't see the point in handing it back to the club.

Is it feedback when people are moaning that the guy should not have bought £17 of 50/50s and instead should have just paid in?

I was responding to somebody describing this as a brilliant gesture. I still don't really class this as a moan, but there you go.

The strange thing is - i'd be more inclined to agree with you if one person was getting in to the game in this manner and the club were losing £17, and you would probably agree with me if 20 people were getting in, going by you quoting this number in a previous post. Neither of us know how many got in using unused comps on Saturday (and I doubt the club do either) and here we are. It's a wonderful life.

Edited by MerryHell

Thank god this evidence of robbery got highlight in this thread, imagine if it had been via a PM, like...

"just to give you a heads up guys, someone's taking comps and handing them out down the hill, you might want to take a wee walk down at the airdrie game"

Instead, thankfully its been highlighted on here.

so.... can catering be taken off the list?

all thats left to resolve is JHS toilets and the tannoy?

or am i being flippant, and someone getting a comp, has really fcked up everyone's matchday experience?

Twinny you are correct it was Club Policy but to be honest the hassle factor it was causing with both our players and other Clubs simply wasnt worth the bother - in the grand scale of the losses being incurred at PTFC it wasnt worth the negativity.

Players from Real Madrid to PTFC get two comps ,after that in the bigger Clubs they pay at a discounted rate for the next 10 and full rate after that up to twenty in total.

There will be the odd Comp that slips through the system ,we try and manage it as best as possible,Comps are monitored and discussed with Maxi - Financial Controls are pretty tight these days and despite falling crowds we achieved a small trading profit last year - its been noted and will be tightened up.

Of more concern was the fact the Female Toilets were way below the standard they should be - that impacts on our All our Female Supporters.I have great sympathy with the poster with Young Kids - we will review proceedures for future games- also a word of thanks to the Jags Trust people who also made me aware of it.

If Julie Ann hadnt kindly pointed it out then the "spare comp" would have impacted on the couple of people who saw the transaction.

And of even greater concern is the fact Espanyol only have one point :thumbdown: .

Jim, is that the year ended 30th May 2012?