Maybe It's Just Me

Dick Dastardly

Maybe it's just me, but the longer this winning run goes on, the less enjoyable it is for us to win.

What I mean is that on a normal unpredictable season, if we get a win, there is a period of great pleasure and it gives me a lift for the start of the week. If we loose or draw, then it is shrugged off with a thought that there is always next week. On Saturday though, the only emotion that I had was a sense of relief that we had managed another week. No joy or pleasure, just relief.

Don't get me wrong, the longer this run goes on, the better, but maybe it is in the Jag's psyche that we should be coming from behind, rather than setting the pace. Or maybe we are just destined never to be happy.

I have colleagues who until a couple of months ago when I started the job would never have noticed who or what Partick Thistle are, and they are now coming to me talking about how good a start to the season we are having. English people (who are only noticing as they know me I suppose) are noticing us, which is brilliant! Only problem is I have to pretend I can remember who their team is and how they're doing as a result!

For me its all about when we lose that first game, the players will be gutted but when they see the reaction of support from the jags fans as they leave the field (which this winning run has earned them) then i think that could make them even more determined to go on another run.

Supporters these days are very quick at getting on players backs but i have to say i thought the jags fans on Saturday were great as at no point did the fans turn on the team as they tried to find that winning goal.

The scene:

I have just left a matinee performance of "One Day when we were young" at Shoreditch Town Hall London (neatly converted into an intimate theatre) We've retired to a deli that does great coffee and cake. Ken Stott (Rebus) has just bought some marmalade and the group are discussing the play - partly because one of the group is the playwright.

I am fiddling with my phone... seemingly endlessly. The younger folk put it down to my advancing years ... but no..... I am on the BBC website watching warching... the last few minutes crawl by with the Jags still one ahead.

Suddenkly the deli is pierced by a glorious yell of joy. YASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

No, I do not wish this run to end

I think the different psychology between fans and players is interesting. It looks to me as if the players his season are playing WITHOUT fear - their very healthy current attitude seems to be that they've won the games to date by playing in a certain way. If they keep doing that, they will carry on winning.

We as Thistle fans know it's not that straightforward - every 90 minutes is a sweaty-palmed endurance contest to be suffered through. I contemplated not taking wife and wean on Saturday because the Lady H was wearing a new Thistle scarf and the young Master was wearing his new Thistle hoody. The gear was new, it hadn't seen us win - always a risk it might be unlucky. Thankfully, the players don't really give that much of a toss what people are wearing....

Still not comfy with singing 'we score when we want' though.m

As I was out in Govan yesterday selling the old Sky (yep, someone's got to do it) and telling every "fan" of the old/new firm that we are the only club in the entire GB with a 100% league record I got told I was a "glory hunter". Oh, how time's change.

Anyway as I told a h*n, we've won the League Cup when it was worth winning so we thought we'd let the wee teams have a chance and it's been a while since the last Scottish Cup, this year we might just be on the treble. His chances of a treble I'm afraid were with the horses - his missus told me later on that even the horses aren't doing winning away for him!

Here's to the Jags Army "dancing on the streets of Raith" come Saturday evening!

As I was out in Govan yesterday selling the old Sky (yep, someone's got to do it) and telling every "fan" of the old/new firm that we are the only club in the entire GB with a 100% league record I got told I was a "glory hunter". Oh, how time's change.

Anyway as I told a h*n, we've won the League Cup when it was worth winning so we thought we'd let the wee teams have a chance and it's been a while since the last Scottish Cup, this year we might just be on the treble. His chances of a treble I'm afraid were with the horses - his missus told me later on that even the horses aren't doing winning away for him!

Here's to the Jags Army "dancing on the streets of Raith" come Saturday evening!

And I hope to be one of them.