Attendances

Lenziejag2

Where does a 16 year old get the money to go to football? It seems to me that people hang on to the hope that kids who have seen Thistle for free and have the love of following thistle will suddenly pay into games? In reality most 16 -18 year olds will have a weekend job which involves working Saturdays. If they don't then of course it will be the parents paying. I am not saying kids go free is pointless, it is good that we can offer it and I am sure we will feel the benefits of it eventually. I just don't think we should pin all our hopes on it to increase attendances in the future. Will it still be free for kids if we are in SPL?

The north stand has made going to Firhill enjoyable, looking forward to home games is a great feeling. We should do more to promote that to jags fans who maybe haven't been for a while who don't have kids, but unless you go or have friends who go how would you know about it?

When I was 12/13 I got a paper round that I used to save up for a season ticket. When I was 15 I started a job and had a season ticket for the next few of years from then (except one horrendous year I worked in Celtic Park).

I would love to see a full Firhill every week but an increase in numbers takes time. What people are organising with the U16's is great. It is a long term strategy and it must continue and I am sure we will see the benefits.

When people hit over 16 they will either get money off their folks or they really should have money from their part-time job. I really go into football aged over 16 as I was old enough to go to football on my own (protective parents over a simple child) and then at uni the half price into Firhill was what really captured me and kept me away from Rangers and I would go with mates from Northern Ireland and other parts of Scotland who were studying in Glasgow.

Thank you to all forum members for keeping this topic going! When I started it the other day, I had no idea it would be so successful - thank you! From this past weekend, please note attendances: Falkirk v PTFC, 3818; Dunfermline v Cowdenbeath, 3353; Inverness CT v St Johnstone, 3154. Inverness needs to acknowledge that you cannot claim City status and then deliver diddy football attendances! Please also permit me to say that the admission prices at Falkirk are over the top, and that their parking charges must be higher than those in central London! £4 for a couple of hours on a mud-heap and then half an hour to get out again - that is just nonsense! And, by the way, the overall attendance at the matches at Dumbarton, Hamilton and Livingston added together (= 3270) was lower than either the game at Falkirk or the game at EEP.

Me again! The Sunday attendance in SFL2 for QoS v East Fife was 1577. I trust the supporters of Dumbarton, Airdrie United, Hamilton Accies, Raith Rovers, Livingston and Morton have all got red faces! I know times are hard and money is short (I am a pensioner!), but where is everybody? I understand the law of diminishing returns, but isn't it time that clubs looked carefully at their pricing policies, and came up with some innovative formulae which reward faithful regular attenders (for example, by lowering the cost of season tickets) and other 'special deals' which would pull in the occasional punters until a better average crowd is achieved?

Me again! The Sunday attendance in SFL2 for QoS v East Fife was 1577. I trust the supporters of Dumbarton, Airdrie United, Hamilton Accies, Raith Rovers, Livingston and Morton have all got red faces! I know times are hard and money is short (I am a pensioner!), but where is everybody? I understand the law of diminishing returns, but isn't it time that clubs looked carefully at their pricing policies, and came up with some innovative formulae which reward faithful regular attenders (for example, by lowering the cost of season tickets) and other 'special deals' which would pull in the occasional punters until a better average crowd is achieved?

Don't forget that the small repetitive leagues have scunnered many a fan. The boredom of playing the same team four times a season must have taken its toll on attendances. Indeed as it stands we're going to playing a third of our league opponents at least five times this season.

I'm not so naive as to think that larger leagues (and more fan friendly competitions) will have the supporters flooding back but it would make a long overdue start.

I don't see how we're in any position to start criticising other clubs for attendances. We haven't had a home crowd of 3800 for quite a while, though I imagine Falkirk have fairly regularly over recent years despite having had some terrible football to watch (excluding the first half of last season).

I don't see what it achieves moaning about other clubs attendances either. We should prise those who do go to games. Perhaps we should ask those people why they do, and using those reasons to encourage others. You ask the average stayaway fan why they stay away and you're likely to hear prices. The prices are ridiculous, but if attending meant enough to them they wouldn't care and would save money elsewhere in life (two beers less a week equals one game a month for example).

I don't see how we're in any position to start criticising other clubs for attendances. We haven't had a home crowd of 3800 for quite a while, though I imagine Falkirk have fairly regularly over recent years despite having had some terrible football to watch (excluding the first half of last season).

I don't see what it achieves moaning about other clubs attendances either. We should prise those who do go to games. Perhaps we should ask those people why they do, and using those reasons to encourage others. You ask the average stayaway fan why they stay away and you're likely to hear prices. The prices are ridiculous, but if attending meant enough to them they wouldn't care and would save money elsewhere in life (two beers less a week equals one game a month for example).

You are onto a winner there Chris!

Follow Thistle and lose weight

This special diet will save you pounds... just drink less and follow the Jags more often. Not only will you save on calorie intake but the added stress levels in your life will also shave off a sliver of that fatty stuff you carry around. Just think. In a matter of 2 or 3 years you might be able to get that XXXL shirt back on again and be able to sit on just the one seat. Come back and fill Firhill.. literally. :evil:

Edited by Shuggie

However, I reckon that a fair number of people who would claim that the football is too expensive will spend about the same amount as the match sitting in a boozer or a bookies all afternoon, or simply doing something else that involves spending money. There are many more alternative types of entertainment available these days, some requiring direct payment for access, others indirect.

This random thought came to my head at this very moment: Anybody know if any grounds accept credit card payments for paying at the gate? Might it help if they did?

Edited by Jaggernaut

The only reason it was 3800 was because of our travelling support. Falkirk won't bring anywhere near that to Firhill anytime soon.

We're all hoping Dunfermline bring a big crowd on the 10th but there are no guarantees and it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't.

To play devils advocate, £17 is no bother for 'die hard' fans but what about those with less of a passion but still an interest? For example I don't go to watch Glasgow Warriors anymore, the main reason for that is for me £15 or £20 is not worth it for rugby because I don't value it anywhere near as highly as going to Thistle. It's not I can't afford £15 or £20, I just don't think it is worth it for that particular 'product', yet I happily waste many multiples of that on a Friday night doing something else.

If it was a tenner I'd take in a few games a season, particularly Heineken Cup games, how many other people would take in a Thistle game if it was a tenner rather than £17? However many it is it won't be enough to cover the shortfall in reducing everyones ticket to a tenner so the cycle perpetuates.

To play devils advocate, £17 is no bother for 'die hard' fans but what about those with less of a passion but still an interest? For example I don't go to watch Glasgow Warriors anymore, the main reason for that is for me £15 or £20 is not worth it for rugby because I don't value it anywhere near as highly as going to Thistle. It's not I can't afford £15 or £20, I just don't think it is worth it for that particular 'product', yet I happily waste many multiples of that on a Friday night doing something else.

If it was a tenner I'd take in a few games a season, particularly Heineken Cup games, how many other people would take in a Thistle game if it was a tenner rather than £17? However many it is it won't be enough to cover the shortfall in reducing everyones ticket to a tenner so the cycle perpetuates.

I agree, there are plenty of weekends I've thought of taking a game in down here and decided against it when I looked up prices. The key isn't to turn those who don't turn up into die hards. You need to encourage those with a passing interest in thistle results to go to a couple of games a season. Those who go to the occasional game to go to a few more, and those that go to quite a few to try and get season tickets.

Near the start of the thread I mentioned some quirky ideas for offers that could get people along once or twice a season, I think these could be used to help. Reducing the price for one or two games a season and using that to create a great atmosphere would encourage those with a passing interest to perhaps take in a few games without the quirky offer. We would really need to make those people believe they've experienced something exceptional, however that would require the team to win emphatically which we can't predict (next home game vs Airdrie perhaps...).

I agree, there are plenty of weekends I've thought of taking a game in down here and decided against it when I looked up prices. The key isn't to turn those who don't turn up into die hards. You need to encourage those with a passing interest in thistle results to go to a couple of games a season. Those who go to the occasional game to go to a few more, and those that go to quite a few to try and get season tickets.

Near the start of the thread I mentioned some quirky ideas for offers that could get people along once or twice a season, I think these could be used to help. Reducing the price for one or two games a season and using that to create a great atmosphere would encourage those with a passing interest to perhaps take in a few games without the quirky offer. We would really need to make those people believe they've experienced something exceptional, however that would require the team to win emphatically which we can't predict (next home game vs Airdrie perhaps...).

Except if you do that, all hell breaks loose because the Season Ticket holders feel "cheated".

Except if you do that, all hell breaks loose because the Season Ticket holders feel "cheated".

As a ST holder I've no objection to the Club doing something along these lines. I do tho' think it could make it harder to sell future season tickets and nobody wants that. The net result probably wouldn't be at all harmful, in fact it should be positive, as long as the Club continue to give ST holders value for money with special offers like the hooded top and the hospitality deals.

Yes, I would like to confirm that I too am a ST holder. I would go back to my suggestion of a modest reduction in ST prices, allied to all the add-on bonuses which Lady Isobel mentions, whilst making occasional "special offers" to boost overall crowd levels. In the first instance, we need to get an average extra 1000 on our home gates. Keep them coming!

I think a big problem this season is the divide between the big clubs and the small clubs, especially when there aren't really any in between.

On the one hand, you have us, Morton, Dunfermline and Falkirk, who can and will take around 400-1000 to away games depending on where it is. On the other hand, you have Hamilton, Dumbarton, Aidrie, Cowdenbeath and Livingston who won't take more than 300 to an away game unless it's an exceptional occasion. With so many small clubs, the fact our average league attendance this season has been around 2700 is a mighty achievement when we've still to face Morton and Dunfermline at home.

Is our system perfect? Absolutely not. The free entry for under-16s is a nice headline, but it's unnecessary and open to abuse. I think that lowering the entry price for adults to £15 and charging kids under-12 £1 would be good in itself, and still a million miles better for families than any other club of our size. I'm no economist, but perhaps we should try an experiment where the prices are changed to £15 for adults, £11 for concessions (16-18, students, OAPs), £7 for 12-16 year olds, and £1 for under 12s. Again, not perfect, but something different...

We issue Season Tickets to our U16s we have over 500 Kids as registered Jags Fans ( & still growing) so the opportunity to abuse the system is limited - we keep a close eye on U16s going in the away gate to ensure they are under 16.

The actual monies earned from U16 revenues was minimal prior to Kids go Free we were under 200 Kids going to our games - we now average between 500 ,as money is tight it makes going to the game an attractive package if you are taking a couple of kids compared to going to the movies etc - the reality is that the revenue from kids previously had very limited impact - if Marketed properly Kids Go Free can have a serious impact on future crowds.

The majority of our fans benefited from getting lifted over (as did our parents) we should not deny the next generation the same benefits as we had ourselves.

As for those who dont have kids - odds are someday you will ,it will be your turn - the Club is committed to Kids Go Free - we are attracting local kids into the stadium ,we have a lot of work to do but its the right policy Im convinced of it.

We issue Season Tickets to our U16s we have over 500 Kids as registered Jags Fans ( & still growing) so the opportunity to abuse the system is limited - we keep a close eye on U16s going in the away gate to ensure they are under 16.

So how do you stop an away fan who says they are under 16 getting in for free? What form of I.D would you ask for? What I.D would someone who is under 16 have?

I only ask as I have yet to pay full adult price at any away ground this season. If I were to visit a club whos policy was under 16s go free or pay £17, I know which one I would opt for.

I don't disagree btw, under 16s is a great idea and a good way to hook younger fans, the next challenge is to get them singing! If the club are committed to it, I presume it would remain if we were to go to the SPL?

All these people in their 20s that can somehow get into stadiums for u16 prices must have some sort of developmental issue. I struggled to get on the bus without paying as a full adult when I was just 14 and bought my first pint at the Barrowlands aged 15 without needing to show ID.

I don't disagree btw, under 16s is a great idea and a good way to hook younger fans, the next challenge is to get them singing! If the club are committed to it, I presume it would remain if we were to go to the SPL?

I guess you mean to get them singing without having to thole them in the North Stand?

:innocent2:

All these people in their 20s that can somehow get into stadiums for u16 prices must have some sort of developmental issue.

The key is they can't see you and have the exact money! :)

I guess you mean to get them singing without having to thole them in the North Stand?

:innocent2:

Aye exactly that! I am all for them having fun aslong as they are no where near me! :P

The actual monies earned from U16 revenues was minimal prior to Kids go Free we were under 200 Kids going to our games - we now average between 500 ,as money is tight it makes going to the game an attractive package if you are taking a couple of kids compared to going to the movies etc - the reality is that the revenue from kids previously had very limited impact - if Marketed properly Kids Go Free can have a serious impact on future crowds.

The majority of our fans benefited from getting lifted over (as did our parents) we should not deny the next generation the same benefits as we had ourselves.

As for those who dont have kids - odds are someday you will ,it will be your turn - the Club is committed to Kids Go Free - we are attracting local kids into the stadium ,we have a lot of work to do but its the right policy Im convinced of it.

I personally think the Kids Go Free scheme is great.

I also think taking two players to schools at a time, handing out free tickets, is also an excellent idea. I can't imagine any 10 to 12 year olds coming to watch us at the moment not falling in love with the team and begging their parents to take them back. It's just getting them there that first time.

I think if you were to send players in pairs to every primary/secondary school in Glasgow giving out free tickets and chatting to kids for half an hour you could really get a great number coming along.

How are we choosing to target schools out of interest, and are we trying to target all of them in the Glasgow area?

Think that's a great idea, Arch.

Players bud up and once a fortnight the squad go out to different schools out with our catchment area.

Could the club print a parent and child single ticket... And give them out to the class.

That way there is no way to abuse it as the parent has to get in with the child.

20 players visit 10 schools... Give out 20 p&c tickets per school, adds 400 onto the gate. 200 of which would never have paid anyway.

Take the hit on those 200 freebie adults and there is the potential to get it back if the parent and/or child enjoys the game.

Of course the problem with that, is the work involved... Do we have someone in the office with the time to organise this? Contact the schools and organise transport for the players...

Of course the players could be paired up to visit the schools local to their home.

So how do you stop an away fan who says they are under 16 getting in for free? What form of I.D would you ask for? What I.D would someone who is under 16 have?

I only ask as I have yet to pay full adult price at any away ground this season. If I were to visit a club whos policy was under 16s go free or pay £17, I know which one I would opt for.

We have a Supervisor on that gate if they dont look under 16 we ask for ID same as any other organisation - given we get on average a few hundred away fans apart from Falkirk and Dunfermline the away kids numbers are very small so the potential loss from away supporters beating the system is pretty small.

And Yes we would have kids go free in the SPL this has been stated at a previous AGM by the Board - when El Cules ( The Arses) visit Firhill for future Champions League Games against the mighty Jags Kids will get in for a fiver :thumbsup2: