Just In ~ Dunfermline

Camallain

Archie started off a bit dodgy - but probably understandable given that he hasn't played for a few weeks. I thought O'Donnel was superb and he would have been my pick for MOTM, although I won't argue too much with Forbes getting it. Thistle were right up for this game and got off to a great start which just set the scene for fab afternoon.

Think Archie has been a great servant, but felt that the game ( at least in the first half) was in danger of passing him by. I certainly didn't feel confident when the ball was in his vicinity! Gerat result but let's not get carried away so much that we overlook possible weaknesses.

Did anyone see what happened when Cardell got booked. From what I saw out the corner of my eye, it looked as if O'Donnell jogged past him while they lined up a freekick and Cardell dropped to the deck holding his face. I guess the ref saw it the same as me, hence Cardell got the card, but was there anything in it ?

Have a look at my video... We're taking the piss thread.

Tuffey was at the game today, if possible would be happy to have him back for a short while if Foxy is out.

I'm sure he'd jump at the chance to be back involved every week especially at the Jags, just depends how St J feel about not having an established 2nd choice goalie & obviously the wages we may have to pay.

Tuffey was at the game today, if possible would be happy to have him back for a short while if Foxy is out.

I'm sure he'd jump at the chance to be back involved every week especially at the Jags, just depends how St J feel about not having an established 2nd choice goalie & obviously the wages we may have to pay.

Tuffey would be a good shout if Fox is out for a few weeks.

Edited by kni

Forbes strike was magnificent but it might be worth adding that it was by no means one of those out of the blue efforts. A couple of times not long before the goal Ross was a lining up a long range shot most notably when he opted to play out left to Lawless. I didn't think at half time anyone could take the MotM award away from O'Donnell but tho' Stephen did next to nothing wrong in the 2nd half Forbes was just so good.

While I'm on the random thoughts just a daft wee statistic that i wonder when it was last equalled or bettered. Two consecutive home league games EIGHT different goalscorers. Anyone?

That was absolutely stunning. I am so excited by this team and manager, even with injuries to important players, we can produce a performance like that in our biggest game in years. We win all our big games this season...so far, challenge cup semi's, today, even games like Falkirk first day then away to Pars, this team don't seem to feel pressure, they relish it and thrive under it.

Hardly a single complaint, yeh annoying to concede from a set piece, thats quite a few this season, but other than that, it was an inch perfect performance. I said to my mate at 1-1, "would love to nick a goal before half time go in 2-1". well this team just score when they want, 3-1, half time, going in I thought, Stephen O'Donnell is already MotM, and his goal is already goal of the season! What a great move and finish, can't wait for the highlights.

Well I think potentially Ross Forbes stole both those awards from him in the 2nd half, just so many positives.

This team gets goals when they are on top too, we have pressure and force goals, so many jags teams in the past have spells of dominance in matches with nothing to show, these guys usually nick a goal when they are on top.

We almost always start well. I've lost count of how many games this year we've taken an early lead. There's a swagger about the way we go about playing, real confidence, and a real belief and confidence in our shape and system, the players look like they are getting top quality coaching, McNamara man manages players so well, the transformation in Cairney last year was just the beginning, we are seeing the same (if not better) this season with Paul Paton - what a player this guy looks this year. Balatoni, and O'Donnell also look to be improving.

We've scored 5 goals against the best other team in league without, in my opinion our best player, Sean Welsh.

Look I could go on and on all night about us right now, I am so happy with this season. Long may it continue, been watching the Jags 20 years, never seen us in a cup final, never seen us play football like this, free scoring, exciting to watch, real fight for the jersey.

Fans were fantastic today, hope they all come back and bring some mates. Get Jackie an extra few quid for Jan, go out and strengthen and continue our march for a historic treble!

Only my second time seeing us in the flesh this season and I must say I wasn't overly impressed at the Cowden game (2-1 win).....but by christ have i changed my mind after yesterday!!

All over the park we nailed them...i didnt know whether to laugh or cry when the 5th went in..i had a fiver on us to win 4-1@ 40/1..but hey ho...i reckon we can kick on from here as well and I will certainly trying to get to more games than originally planned this season.

i was first thrust over the turnstiles at firhill in the mid 1950s by my dad whose ashes are scattered around the old place. over the years i collected heroes aplenty: johnny mackenzie and tommy ewing....neil duffy and sandy brown...alan rough and ronnie glavin...before moving to london to work for 14 years from 1979.

in my working career i was incredibly fortunate to attend world cup and european cup finals...summer and winter olympics... wimbledon and open golf championships...ryder cup and davis cup contests...world title fights in las vegas, world series baseball in yankee stadium...the arc de triomphe and melbourne cup horse races...the f1 grand prix in brazil, a chess tournament in the kremlin...

but nothing - and i mean nothing - will live in the heart and mind like the events of 10/11/12. even before yesterday's game you could feel the atmosphere of bygone days out in the garscube road; walking home to the west end was a delight when asked the usual question by passers-by: 'how did the thistle do today?' the huge grin on my face when i replied '5-1' rendering the customary follow-up query of 'who for?' useless. i even sat through 'strictly' alongside 'she who must be obeyed' with a beatific smile, constantly rewinding the video in my mind through the five goals.

so thank you; thank you the players and management for 90 minutes of undiluted magic. thank you to all the old codgers like me who have waited many a year for an afternoon such as that. and thank you to the new kids on the firhill block in the north stand for their joyful and incessant support. long after i am gone, here's hoping they will be introducing their children ande grandchildren to the unique delights of following the maryhill magyars...

• Like 14

Forgot to say Fox didn't have loads to do but after he went down with what looked like a groin injury as the pars were attacking hauled himself up and covered the goal, legend

That's right; a true professional. That valiant attempt to get back on his feet and get back into play might even have worsened his injury.

Lovely, lovely stuff today. Chinese tonight paid for by Pars fan who bet with me at the start of the season. Thanks John. Some good photies here, obviously looking forward to Tom's for the real story...

https://picasaweb.go...266123210169778

Some crackling photos there. Love the looks on the ball boys' faces as Forbes' screamer hits the net!

The team is full of youngsters who've shown that they have what it takes. No reason to doubt Scully's ability to do the same. He's had one poor match for us in the first team, and was brilliant in one game last season. Scott Fox has also had a few dodgy games. Give Ryan his chance, I say.

• Like 1

Yesterday was one of those occasions when you could feel the electric atmosphere building up even before the game started. Firhill was a brilliant place to be for Thistle fans and neutrals yesterday. When the singing from the North Stand spread into the JH Stand the poor Pars fans must have felt like their cause was hopeless. And it was! The most enjoyable match at the old place for many years. Only positives.

Fair play to Dunfermline for setting up to attack but the space they offered us was unbelievable. They let us play to our strengths and they paid the price. I expect then to set up different in the cup game or they can expect a similar score line.

Steven O'Donnell in particular was not closed down, and was now surprise to see him score. He tired badly in the second half though and that cost him the man of the match award.

Forbes was excellent as people have said and it would be great to get him signed up on a longer contract. Some of his passing was superb; Jefferies will be kicking himself they never signed him!

Conrad has really come on since he came back into the team and scored a good goal. Archie was shaky in the first half but this will be down to him being out the team the last few weeks.

Sinclair had a cracking game and if he can keep this form up then he is in front of Bannigan for me.

Good to see big McGuigan back for us and can see him pushing Doolan all the way for a place in the team.

Great post above there from Robphil, sums up some of my thoughts perfectly.

I think for every Jag, either at the game yesterday or not the fact that the big games were back at Firhill was great for morale. The build up to the game was great all week.

Most people I know (myself included) thought anything over 4000 would be great. By the time I put my flag up and looked over to the JHS I immediately thought "5000 at the minimum". Word came through at half time that it was over 5000 and you could sense (obviously 3v1 up at this stage) a truely united and enthusiastic atmosphere behind the goals and I'm sure that was the same in the JHS.

In a big game at home - we finally delivered and we delivered in style. Break to finally put to bed anti climaxes and provide the fans with quite possibly one of the best attacking footballing performances I've witnessed in such an important game.

Onto the game. Straight from the off we were at them and could have been 1v0 up after a minute. We really did batter them from the start. The early goal, just like the Falkirk game at home was so important, for the team and for the fans. Balatoni's goal was amazing - I LOVE those types of goals. BANG 2v1. I fell into the row in front of me and everyone was going nuts, the adrenaline rush from that is fantastic. O'Donnell's goal - bloody hell. Classy, very classy and cheeky. Outstanding finish. The North Stand was bananas at that point.

Half time with a nice two goal lead, I was thinking we'll maybe keep it tight for the first ten minutes and just dictate the game. Then out of the blew Forbes's goal. Oh my god. WHAT A PEACH. We could see the ball swerving into the top corner and when it hit the net it really was game over. The goading at the away fans was priceless at this point. WE WANT FIVE and we got it - icing on the cake.

I've basically just talked about the goals but this was one of the best days at Firhill in my time as a Jag. Just an absolute joy from start to finish. The whole team was immense, every single one. So proud to be a Jag right now.

Edited by northernsoul
  • Like 1