Remembrance Day And Silent Prayer

sigesige00

When I attended Firhill on Saturday and Murrayfield on Sunday, I was irritated by the silent prayer, because I have absolutely no sympathy for those who died for British imperialism.

I remember that an African-American basketball player, who refused to attach the sign of mourning in the NBA game while the Gulf War, was sacked by political pressure.

When 2 Japanese diplomats were executed in Iraq by the resistance force, I applauded the Iraqi resistance, but the so-called "anti-war" demonstration organisers refused my participation because of my placard applauding the execution.

The same thing happened in South Korea. The anti-imperialists who applauded the execution of a Korean working for the US military as an Araibic translator were attacked in public.

Several years ago, Hearts supporters did booing while the silent prayer for the Pope at Hampden. If I were there, I would have done the same thing.

I support the "Show Racism the Red Card" campaign. However I cannot support any sort of ceremony supporting imperialism. Please tell me your opinion.

Edited by sigesige00

When I attended Firhill on Saturday and Murrayfield on Sunday, I was irritated by the silent prayer, because I have absolutely no sympathy for those who died for British imperialism.

I remember that an African-American basketball player, who refused to attach the sign of mourning in the NBA game while the Gulf War, was sacked by political pressure.

When 2 Japanese diplomats were executed in Iraq by the resistance force, I applauded the Iraqi resistance, but the so-called "anti-war" demonstration organisers refused my participation because of my placard applauding the execution.

The same thing happened in South Korea. The anti-imperialists who applauded the execution of a Korean working for the US military as an Araibic translator were attacked in public.

Several years ago, Hearts supporters did booing while the silent prayer for the Pope at Hampden. If I were there, I would have done the same thing.

I support the "Show Racism the Red Card" campaign. However I cannot support any sort of ceremony supporting imperialism. Please tell me your opinion.

i dont get how people find you amusing i think you are just a celtic fan who posts on our site im all for not wearing a poppy its each individuals choice but show some respect some of our fans have lost loved ones in past wars for someone who comes from korea you have got a big interest in irish politics we at firhill are not interested in this crap we leave that to the bigot brothers i suggest you go to parkhead with your political rants we are thistle glasgows great alternative
  • Like 1

I am strongly anti-militarist, but the minute of silence is not simply for those killed in expansionist or imperialist wars, but also for those killed while protecting innocent people all over the world from terrorists and invaders. It is out of respect for those, as well as emergency services workers and non-combatants who have died, that I respect the silence, and even wore a poppy.

World wars are really population control, look at WW1 over 37 million casualties, sending young men to their deaths!

The so-called Afghanistan war is not about terrorists it's about oil and gas pipelines, why haven't they destroyed the opium poppy fields in Afghanistan? i will tell you why, money and population control, turn the young hopeless into drug addicts, i watched the remembrance service with the Royal Family on BBC1 do you really think the Queen and the politicians care about the war dead, they don't give a toss!

World wars are really population control, look at WW1 over 37 million casualties, sending young men to their deaths!

The so-called Afghanistan war is not about terrorists it's about oil and gas pipelines, why haven't they destroyed the opium poppy fields in Afghanistan? i will tell you why, money and population control, turn the young hopeless into drug addicts, i watched the remembrance service with the Royal Family on BBC1 do you really think the Queen and the politicians care about the war dead, they don't give a toss!

are you sigesige00 or are you just nuts... just asking like :confused1:

You are correct Sige - Britian will have lost Soldiers due to the fact we had an Empire ,however in the Second World War the only thing that stopped Europe and Asia from falling into the hands of Mass murderers was Britian and its Commonwealth Troops and those who joined us the Free French ,Free Poles etc.

So my Dear Sige our young men have laid down there lives so that you may make your rant and talk nonsense ,this is called freedom - in this Country we hold onto it dearly - for that we pay our respects to those that willingly laid down there lives - its only a minute - I have a house in Catalunya ,its an annoyance everything shuts between 1 and 3 pm for a long lunch - but you know what Im a Guest,there Country there rules ,manners dictates I go with the flow and dont moan about it.

We welcome all at Partick Thistle but Sige mate its only 60 secs - you wont win many friends complianing about how we remember our War Dead in our Country.

Edited by Jordanhill Jag
  • Like 4

Sigesige, you must also realise that Japan basically unilaterally declared war on the US and its allies in 1941, while we (the UK) were trying to stop the spread of Hitler's nazis. The Japanese saw the possibility of expanding their influence in Asia.

You frequently claim to be against Japanese imperialism, so don't you think that people who died trying to stop that are worth 1 minute of respect each year?

Sigesige, you must also realise that Japan basically unilaterally declared war on the US and its allies in 1941, while we (the UK) were trying to stop the spread of Hitler's nazis. The Japanese saw the possibility of expanding their influence in Asia.

You frequently claim to be against Japanese imperialism, so don't you think that people who died trying to stop that are worth 1 minute of respect each year?

Well, you should understand the nature of the 2nd World imperialist war. I am not a left communist who see the USSR as an imperialist power, and I support Trotsky's position of the unconditional defense of the USSR. However, apart from the question of the USSR, the 2nd World War was an inter-imperialist war from which the international working class could get nothing. The claim of the "war against fascism" is a pure myth; in fact the "democratic" imperialist governments were accomplices of fascism. For example, Churchill, Roosevelt et al, who knew very well about what was happening in the Nazi death camps, did nothing to stop the Holocaust, and even refused all the German government's proposals to free them by the hundred thousand, because the transporting the Jews would hinder their war effort. There is no enough room for writing about the crimes of "democracy". As Trotsky clearly stated, the only policy towards the 2nd World War was revolutionary defeatism -- turn the imperialist war into civil war against the bourgeoisie.

Well, you should understand the nature of the 2nd World imperialist war. I am not a left communist who see the USSR as an imperialist power, and I support Trotsky's position of the unconditional defense of the USSR. However, apart from the question of the USSR, the 2nd World War was an inter-imperialist war from which the international working class could get nothing. The claim of the "war against fascism" is a pure myth; in fact the "democratic" imperialist governments were accomplices of fascism. For example, Churchill, Roosevelt et al, who knew very well about what was happening in the Nazi death camps, did nothing to stop the Holocaust, and even refused all the German government's proposals to free them by the hundred thousand, because the transporting the Jews would hinder their war effort. There is no enough room for writing about the crimes of "democracy". As Trotsky clearly stated, the only policy towards the 2nd World War was revolutionary defeatism -- turn the imperialist war into civil war against the bourgeoisie.

you are nuts and need some real help, untill then why not go to N korea and live this life you love :thumbsup2:

• Like 1

sigesige00 - No-one's wearing a poppy or observing a minute's silence in rememberance of the various Governments of the day, or the Prime Ministers or Presidents at the time or because of whatever the political agendas were.... No - we wear our poppies and observe our silences in rememberance of, and to pay honour to, those who gave their lives in these dreadful conflicts. Those soldiers, sailors, airmen and civilians were doing their duty for their country - it's not their fault that what they thought they were fighting and dying for may not have been what the governments had them fighting and dying for.

It is right and proper that they are remembered.

• Like 4

you are nuts and need some real help, untill then why not go to N korea and live this life you love :thumbsup2:

You are nuts is that all you can say when someone has an opinion?, Listen Jaggybottom, my Grandfather was in the Royal Irish Rifles in the First World war and other Grandfather gunner in WW2 both of them hated it and one said that he would rather go to prison than fight again in a War.

Britain is not this great country that you seem to think it is, why don't you go and live in North Korea, i would be happy to buy you a one-way ticket.

And sigesige is right when he talks about the Nazi death camps, they knew about them but did nothing, sad but true.

You are nuts is that all you can say when someone has an opinion?, Listen Jaggybottom, my Grandfather was in the Royal Irish Rifles in the First World war and other Grandfather gunner in WW2 both of them hated it and one said that he would rather go to prison than fight again in a War.

Britain is not this great country that you seem to think it is, why don't you go and live in North Korea, i would be happy to buy you a one-way ticket.

And sigesige is right when he talks about the Nazi death camps, they knew about them but did nothing, sad but true.

all you and sigesige did was have a rant with little truth. apart from the bit about the countries knowing about the camps which is commen knowledge.

Britian is a far better country than N Korea with far greater freedoms than N Koreo could ever dream of, hence when sigesige prattles on about it and complains about how bad we are here he tends to sound a bit nuts add to it your rant and there you go, questions answered, i think so :thumbsup2:

So, if they had been killed in battle they would have been entitled to no sympathy, in your and sigesige's opinions? ( "I have absolutely no sympathy for those who died for British imperialism." - Mr Sputnik, 2012). Did every young conscript during WWs I and II sign a declaration that they were embarking on a mission to aid and assist British imperialism?

Pullease.

So, if they had been killed in battle they would have been entitled to no sympathy, in your and sigesige's opinions? ( "I have absolutely no sympathy for those who died for British imperialism." - Mr Sputnik, 2012). Did every young conscript during WWs I and II sign a declaration that they were embarking on a mission to aid and assist British imperialism?

Pullease.

You need to go to specsavers and get a new pair of specs, i never said i have absolutely no sympathy for those who died for British imperialism! Sigesige's words not mine!

Leave your comments for him.

You need to go to specsavers and get a new pair of specs, i never said i have absolutely no sympathy for those who died for British imperialism! Sigesige's words not mine!

Leave your comments for him.

i have a 25% off for spec savers so you can go to them as he never said it was you and clearly attributed it to Mr Sputnik, 2012 (Sigesige00) :thumbsup2:

• Like 1

I have no time for imperialist wars of any kind and could go on a political rant about why wars are started and for what end; but that's not the point; plus Jaggy would just get upset and that wouldn't be fair. But to get to the point, people from all sides lost their lives and a fair number, probably most, were innocents. So IMO taking 60 seconds to remember the victims isnt a big deal.

If I didn't know better, I'd say SS00 was on a wind up mission; maybe even doing a bit of a kamikaze flight to finally get thrown off this DG. Plus didn't JP Cannon (one of Trotsky's greatest supporters during his Mexican exile) eventually get the American SWP to support the war effort during WWII? I think even Trotsky knew that fascism had to be defeated. [sS00 FYI...Cannon: We consider Hitler and Hitlerism the great­est enemy of mankind. We want to wipe it off the face of the earth... We think Hitlerism can be destroyed only by con­ducting a war under the leadership of the workers." Given that at the time the American SWP had more members of the 4th International than any other country, JPC wouldn't have said this without a nod from the 'Pen'. So when quoting Trotsky, please be accurate and honest.]

SS00: Your historical understanding is as flawed and insulting as many of your posts. The minute silence was impecably observed on Saturday. There was no hint of triumphalism or jingoism, that isn't what rememberance is about. Why not leave it at that.

I have no time for imperialist wars of any kind and could go on a political rant about why wars are started and for what end; but that's not the point; plus Jaggy would just get upset and that wouldn't be fair. But to get to the point, people from all sides lost their lives and a fair number, probably most, were innocents. So IMO taking 60 seconds to remember the victims isnt a big deal.

crack on MJ i am sure i have at least 10 years left so would have time to read your post :tongue2:

The defeat of Hitler and odious nazism certainly wasn't brought about by deranged navel-gazing, N Korean despot-supporting, computer shades-wearing, cranks with penchants for 14 year-old girls nutters who require the urgent attention of the NHS's mental health services..........in my humble opinion.

• Like 2