"old" Firhill Photos

Jaggernaut

I had forgotten just how many people were there that day. What an awful, awful letdown it was.

I had remembered it as 7,000 odd, not the 8,653 quoted on that page. How many do you think we'd get for a similar match these days?

That match was the end of my first season watching thistle, and was the first time I'd seen grown men cry.

I had remembered it as 7,000 odd, not the 8,653 quoted on that page. How many do you think we'd get for a similar match these days?

That match was the end of my first season watching thistle, and was the first time I'd seen grown men cry.

Jackie Husband was full of Jags, main stand was full of Ayr, then the overspill to the terracing. Nightmare of a day, it almost killed us

Considering what was at stake for both clubs, we could well get over 5000 for a similar match these days. Let's just hope it's at the other end of the table next time...

Great photos of the Ayr game - that's where I was that day.

" THe Homes of Football" from which the photo of the Ayr Utd game comes used to be available from the football shop of the same name in Ambleside - well worth a visit if you happen to be in the Cumbria area. My copy is somewhere in the house but can't lay hands on it at the moment. When I was last there the proprietor was waxing lyrical about the romance of Gretna ! A realo football man.

The player of the year dance was in the Lorne Hotel that night and there was a Celtic party in a seperate room celebrating their title win over St. Johnstone to prevent Rangers doing 10 in a row.

Someone set the fire alarm off which ended in the two parties trading insults across the street and several polis cars turning up to maintain order!

" THe Homes of Football" from which the photo of the Ayr Utd game comes used to be available from the football shop of the same name in Ambleside - well worth a visit if you happen to be in the Cumbria area. My copy is somewhere in the house but can't lay hands on it at the moment. When I was last there the proprietor was waxing lyrical about the romance of Gretna ! A realo football man.

Closed now and moved (I think) to the National Football Museum. Pity, the second best reason to visit Ambleside has gone - the first being the Ambleside Fair.

We conceded the worst goal i've ever seen from a Thistle free kick on the half way line. My wife was there for her first game at Firhill and she couldn't believe the sense of depression as we walked back into town. Our hotel was full of celebrating celtic fans, as was the plane. Not my best weekend in Glasgow. Great photos.

We conceded the worst goal i've ever seen from a Thistle free kick on the half way line.

That, good sir, cannot be argued with. Absolute disaster of a goal.

The worst bit about it was that no one even bothered to try and get back after the mistake was made.

A dreadful day.

That, good sir, cannot be argued with. Absolute disaster of a goal.

The worst bit about it was that no one even bothered to try and get back after the mistake was made.

A dreadful day.

It was a stupidly taken quick free-kick but in fairness, the Ayr player was about 3 yards from the ball when he intercepted...I can still remember that feeling of numbness when there was no whistle and I knew he was going to run on and score.

• Like 1

It was a stupidly taken quick free-kick but in fairness, the Ayr player was about 3 yards from the ball when he intercepted...I can still remember that feeling of numbness when there was no whistle and I knew he was going to run on and score.

Taken by Billy Macdonald if I remember correctly, was raging after that game and the way we capitulated to Ayr which nearly killed us

Funny talking about Billy Macdonald when Gareth Evans is visiting Firhill tomorrow as Livi coach. For the record, Gareth was to my mind the best striker of that (admittedly poor) era of Thistle teams - his hat trick against East Fife lives long in the memory, as does his collapse in th box up at Dens Park to allow Jerry Stirling to score the penalty that put us 3 up - which, if St Mirren had lost or drawn that day would have made the above discussion of the Ayr United game academic....

Edited by The Earl of Hathaway