Where Will We Finish?

jdwishbone

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not grasp why people are so certain that Stirling and Cowdenbeath will be the bottom two.

Stirling - tiny squad, untested manager.

Cowdenbeath - lost their talismanic manager, lost their best players.

You may disagree that those factors will have a significant impact on where they will fininsh, but it's not difficult why people are predicting a struggle.

I do not grasp why people are so certain that Stirling and Cowdenbeath will be the bottom two.

I'd be considerably surprised if they're not but us fans can afford to be complacent. If our players & manager were of the same opinion that's completely different. Other teams like Morton and Raith are far better equipped to deal with a relegation battle than us. Just don't think it'll come to that.

We don't have a steady keeper. Our defence is a disjointed mess. Midfield is far to lightweight and lacking goals. We're toothless up front and to injury prone. I was present at the games from Feb to Apr. No new faces and a smaller squad equals relegation. Let's all face facts here.

I'm not quite so sure we'll be relegated, but agreed about the rest. 7th at best for this mob of losers.

Our team ain't that bad think about it.

As it stands this would be my starting eleven

halliwell - a good keeper with something to prove

Paton - will fulfill his potential this season

Boyle - the weak link

Robertson - solid as ever forms a good part of the spine to the team

archibald - best defener in the league and has a good understanding with robbo

McNamara - solid with experience will be vital in the midfield

rowson - will be able to dictate more this season with McNamara beside him

erskine - potentially the best player in the team if can be consistant

cairney - will be the midfield goalscorer we need

Buchanan - an injury free season will see him finish top of 1st div goal scoring charts

grehan - will provide the knockdowns and flicks that Buchanan thrives on

We will finish 3rd or 4th

Boyle - the weak link

Buchanan - an injury free season will see him finish top of 1st div goal scoring charts

I go with that - but archibald and McNamara will not be there at the start of the season unfortunately, and we have to be convinced that Buchanan's injury problems are behind him. If these things are cleared up we could surprise many. The league seems pretty wide open to me. Every club is having to cut its cloth - maybe Dunfermline is an exception - and of course Falkirk has the parachute payment,butthe relegated club usually takes a while to adjust to Div 1 (see ICT last season).

I have not been as pessimistic about a coming season since the mid eighties. The writing has been on the wall for some time now, finishing second a couple of years ago only served to cover up just how badly the club was being run. I feel financial mismanagement is going to come home to roost this season with dire consequences on the park. A play off spot beckons :(

I have faith in some of the youngsters at the club and can see some of them breaking through to be regulars this season.

I'm concerned in the lack of activity with regards new signings but I do have faith in the management team and think we can have a stable season.

We'll finish above Morton, Cowdenbeath, Stirling, Raith and QOTS.

Boyle - the weak link

I'll have a pint of what you are drinking. I'll have a go at the same team:

Halliwell: A guy who hasn't lasted more than a season at his last 6 clubs. The last of which being Forfar

Paton: The most embarassingly one footed player I've ever seen. Had a shocker of a season last year after looking semi decent in his first year.

Boyle: Doesn't even look like a footballer. We will be tormented down the wing with him in the team.

Robertson: I wish we had a team of 11 Robbo's. Sadly, he's getting on a bit and it is asking a lot for him to turn in the performances we are used to seeing from him week in week out.

Archie: Love him as a player but only time will tell how he gets over his latest injury.

McNamara: Will give us a decent passer in the middle of the park. However, his will his legs be able to carry him through a full season?

Rowson: Again, like Robbo, I wish we had a team of him. However, he is also a year older.

Cairney: Has great potential but if he is out on the right, will he be able to deliver from what is not his best position?

Erskine: Can go back to the juniors any time as far as I'm concerned. Zero end product and zero composure in front of goal. Has a long long way to go before he can be considered a decent footballer.

Buchannan: When fit, can be the best striker in the league. However, keeping him fit is the problem.

Grehan: Totally untried at this level. I can only hope he hits the ground running and provides the service that Buchannan thrives on.

I'm pinning my (very flimsy) hopes on the likes of McBeth coming good. However, it is a big ask for the young guys to be able to turn it on for the 1st team on a consistent basis. Hence why I think we'll at best finish 7th (probably 8th though)

Halliwell: A guy who hasn't lasted more than a season at his last 6 clubs. The last of which being Forfar

Paton: The most embarassingly one footed player I've ever seen. Had a shocker of a season last year after looking semi decent in his first year.

Boyle: Doesn't even look like a footballer. We will be tormented down the wing with him in the team.

Robertson: I wish we had a team of 11 Robbo's. Sadly, he's getting on a bit and it is asking a lot for him to turn in the performances we are used to seeing from him week in week out.

Archie: Love him as a player but only time will tell how he gets over his latest injury.

McNamara: Will give us a decent passer in the middle of the park. However, his will his legs be able to carry him through a full season?

Rowson: Again, like Robbo, I wish we had a team of him. However, he is also a year older.

Cairney: Has great potential but if he is out on the right, will he be able to deliver from what is not his best position?

Erskine: Can go back to the juniors any time as far as I'm concerned. Zero end product and zero composure in front of goal. Has a long long way to go before he can be considered a decent footballer.

Buchannan: When fit, can be the best striker in the league. However, keeping him fit is the problem.

Grehan: Totally untried at this level. I can only hope he hits the ground running and provides the service that Buchannan thrives on.

I'm pinning my (very flimsy) hopes on the likes of McBeth coming good. However, it is a big ask for the young guys to be able to turn it on for the 1st team on a consistent basis. Hence why I think we'll at best finish 7th (probably 8th though)

:thinking: So can we take it from that you're not over confident that we'll run away with the league this coming season :unsure: ?

I have faith in some of the youngsters at the club and can see some of them breaking through to be regulars this season.

Behave yourself. Not a chance any of our youngsters will get more than 2 consecutive games - even with a tiny squad. As soon as we get sucked into a relegation battle, McCall will revert to type and stick with the duds that won 3 from 16 games in the second half of last season.

Add this to the fact that the boo boys at Firhill will be on their backs the minute a shot is ballooned over the bar or a pass goes astray. Gonna be a long season!

Agree almost word for word.

Boyle, Paton, Erskine are absolutely rank rotten. Robbo can he do it over a season? Hmm not sure. McNamara and Rowson, too similar, Buchanan injury prone, not seen Grehan or the youngsters play so can't really comment.

Not a fan of Archie, Doolan, Maxy, Hodge, Hinchcliffe and Kinniburgh either, and Sid seems to do the business for a couple of months then the legs go.

If we can't sign a new left back before the start of the season I'd play Jaggy Mac there as soon as he's fit. Rowson holding midfielder with Hodge also sitting deep to collect the ball and make passes (and learn how to tackle from Rowson), Cairney and MacBeth further up the pitch to provide energy, but in all a tight midfield with Paton and Jaggy asked to provide width. Sort of like the old 4-2-2-2 Celtic played for a while.

Edit to predict: 5th this season, both a long way off top and a long way off bottom.

Edited by Mediocre Pundit

Like a previous poster i agree almost to the word

robbo, rowser, archie, will be consistent and dependable but can they be good every week?

cairney is the potential in the squad and the one who if he screws the nut can go on and better himself, but thats a big "if"

buchanan too injury prone, ive almost given up, but if he hits form most teams will fear him.

MacBeth has to come good this season, somethin has to happen with the youngsters, even winning the challenge cup with 3-4 u-19s playing or somethin would be great. Not too optimistic this season, still have faith in McCall Britton Cameron Donnelly McNamara long term to give us good youngsters and be back in the premier league in 5 years, we are thistle, have faith my friends and stick by the cause!

Like a previous poster, pret

Boyle, Paton, Erskine are absolutely rank rotten. Robbo can he do it over a season? Hmm not sure. McNamara and Rowson, too similar, Buchanan injury prone, not seen Grehan or the youngsters play so can't really comment.

Not a fan of Archie, Doolan, Maxy, Hodge, Hinchcliffe and Kinniburgh either, and Sid seems to do the business for a couple of months then the legs go.

I tip my hat to you. Feeling like that and still supporting the team !

You are obviously not alone. There seems to be a competition to see who is the most depressed.

Come on guys, the season has not started yet. Who knows the team may surprise you.

On the subject of support does anyone think that Boyle, Kinniburgh, Erskine, et al, play better when, at their first mistake, the crowd are on their back.

None of them may be world beaters but this may be the year when the club need us to step up to the plate and support the team thro' thick and thin.

To misquote ' Ask not what your club can do for you, but what can you do for your club ! '

My own feeling is that we need to pull together,support the team and sod the other teams in the league. All I'm asking from the players is effort. We certainly won't win every game but there will still be plenty of highlights. In my experience there is not much better than going away from home and defiantly, cheering on a battling team, whatever the score.

My glass is half full no matter what anyone says !

Edited by AlexForsythFan

Guest Argus

If we can't sign a new left back before the start of the season I'd play Jaggy Mac there as soon as he's fit. Rowson holding midfielder with Hodge also sitting deep to collect the ball and make passes (and learn how to tackle from Rowson), Cairney and MacBeth further up the pitch to provide energy, but in all a tight midfield with Paton and Jaggy asked to provide width. Sort of like the old 4-2-2-2 Celtic played for a while.

Edit to predict: 5th this season, both a long way off top and a long way off bottom.

Just about agree with that except doubting that at this stage Hodge will ever learn to tackle.

Coaching team didn't manage it with McStay so I can't see it with Hodge.

Hodge also needs to speed up his thought, takes far to long on the ball and gets caught in possession to often.

You are obviously not alone. There seems to be a competition to see who is the most depressed.

Come on guys, the season has not started yet. Who knows the team may surprise you.

On the subject of support does anyone think that Boyle, Kinniburgh, Erskine, et al, play better when, at their first mistake, the crowd are on their back.

None of them may be world beaters but this may be the year when the club need us to step up to the plate and support the team thro' thick and thin.

To misquote ' Ask not what your club can do for you, but what can you do for your club ! '

My own feeling is that we need to pull together,support the team and sod the other teams in the league. All I'm asking from the players is effort. We certainly won't win every game but there will still be plenty of highlights. In my experience there is not much better than going away from home and defiantly, cheering on a battling team, whatever the score.

Hear Hear!

Thankfully, someone who actually backs the club. I'm with you.......100%.