Does Anyone Have An Old Early 80S Umbro Jags Top For Sale Adult Size?

Partick75

These are like gold dust mate! There was one on ebay recently that went for £100 and I don't think it was even real.

I have one that was given to me by the club just before I emigrated in 1983, so it's genuine, but there's no way I would ever part with it. It has a black number 12 on the back with one of the old type sew on numbers.

• Like 1

The Colonel Gee's top from 87 also seems to be rarer than rocking horse droppings, I don't think I've ever come across one for sale!

In what year were shirts first commercially available to fans? I guess that's why the old Umbro ones are so rare, there were only ever match-worn shirts.

That's a shame that Umbro one on eBay was fake - glad I didn't bid now!

The Colonel Gee's top from 87 also seems to be rarer than rocking horse droppings, I don't think I've ever come across one for sale!

In what year were shirts first commercially available to fans? I guess that's why the old Umbro ones are so rare, there were only ever match-worn shirts.

That's a shame that Umbro one on eBay was fake - glad I didn't bid now!

I actually picked up the colonel gees top for £27 on ebay a couple of years back, in great condition as well. I was wearing it on boxing day. But that's the only time I've ever seen it for sale and I was surprised I got it so cheap.

I guess that's why the old Umbro ones are so rare, there were only ever match-worn shirts.

not true, I had at least 2 Umbro shirts in the late 70's/early 80's. Probably purchased in Roberts Stores or Lumleys. I also had an Umbro track suit round about then, black jacket & red trousers with Umbro symbols down the arms & legs. I ended up taking the badge off it & sewing it to my scarf at the time

I've got an Umbro top. Way too small for me these days (it's a 34-36) but as it was my first ever Jags top, I doubt I could ever bring myself to part with it. My wee girl occasionally wears it, in fact she might be wearing it at the game on Saturday.

Got a Colonel Gees top also, been years since I wore it. This thread has got me tempted to dig it out now.

I've got an Umbro top. Way too small for me these days (it's a 34-36) but as it was my first ever Jags top, I doubt I could ever bring myself to part with it. My wee girl occasionally wears it, in fact she might be wearing it at the game on Saturday.

Got a Colonel Gees top also, been years since I wore it. This thread has got me tempted to dig it out now.

Same - I still have the dayglo one from the early 80's, with the badge in the middle. It will never fit again, however could never part with it.

Safely stashed in the 'you're not keeping that old thing' drawer.

Not as old but I have the red and yellow hooped top from our promotion period in the early naughties. It has the number 4 and no sponsor as my mate got a few from working on the Strathclyde Thistle episode of Taggart. Think he has a couple himself. Just asked for them after filming was done.

A fellow fan kindly let me have a red and yellow hooped shirt that he'd had from the 1950s, boys size, so presumably bought commercially.

Really? An 'licensed' shirt actually manufactured on behalf of the club? Was it made by a company like Bukta or a local Glasgow company? That's fascinating, it would be great if you could put up some photos!

I picked up the Colonel Gee's home top at the Firhill Cup shirt auction last year.

I would have bidded if I had any money that day. That top was pristine condition.

A fellow fan kindly let me have a red and yellow hooped shirt that he'd had from the 1950s, boys size, so presumably bought commercially.

Is the cotton really heavy and the yellow hoop almost an orange colour? Was the badge sewn on with a white thistle on a red background?

Edited by northernsoul

Remember back in the 70's you could buy replica tops, however, they came without the official Club badge. Can't remember when they started allowing the badges to be sold with the tops.

I've got one of them. Red and yellow vertical stripes, black cricket collar, long sleeve. No club badge.

If anyone has an old sew-on club badge I would be greatful for it.

• Members

The sew on badges were definitely available. It was the '71 style top I had and my Mum or Dad got a sew on badge to go with it. It was a red Thistle on a round yellow background. Had it for many years sewn on to my scarf long after the top was discarded. IIRC, I gave it to CD to add to his badge collection a few years ago.

As an aside, I've got a few old tops (a couple of them donated by Brodieboy from this forum) and a signed ball that I have been intending to put on eBay for a while now, the proceeds of which will go to Onethistle. I'll maybe see if there's enough interest on this forum first?

Jester Top Large Men's 42/44"

DH Morris Stripes Small Men's 34/36"

Silver Top Large Men's

Texstyle World Stripes 38/40"

Texstyle World White Large Men's 42/44"

Signed Ball

The sew on badges were definitely available. It was the '71 style top I had and my Mum or Dad got a sew on badge to go with it. It was a red Thistle on a round yellow background. Had it for many years sewn on to my scarf long after the top was discarded. IIRC, I gave it to CD to add to his badge collection a few years ago.

As an aside, I've got a few old tops (a couple of them donated by Brodieboy from this forum) and a signed ball that I have been intending to put on eBay for a while now, the proceeds of which will go to Onethistle. I'll maybe see if there's enough interest on this forum first?

Jester Top

DH Morris Stripes

Silver Top

Texstyle World Stripes

Texstyle World White

Signed Ball

PM'd you mate

Remember back in the 70's you could buy replica tops, however, they came without the official Club badge. Can't remember when they started allowing the badges to be sold with the tops.

You could buy 'replica' kits in the sixties. I think they only made children's sizes though. Around '66/'67 I had one, bought from Hoey's (?) on Maryhill Rd. on the corner of Raeberry St. Or the one further down. There was no badge on the top, and the socks were a variation of the then red with black-yellow-black piping on the top. Not exactly replica kits, nevertheless they were responsible for many wee lit-up faces in Primary schools in those days. Aah.

• Like 1

You could buy 'replica' kits in the sixties. I think they only made children's sizes though. Around '66/'67 I had one, bought from Hoey's (?) on Maryhill Rd. on the corner of Raeberry St. Or the one further down. There was no badge on the top, and the socks were a variation of the then red with black-yellow-black piping on the top. Not exactly replica kits, nevertheless they were responsible for many wee lit-up faces in Primary schools in those days. Aah.

Ayep,

that,s the first yin I got!

Rid N Yila Broad hoops and black V neck collar n black short sleeve cuffs,

Also got Billy Ritchie's green long sleever & Bunnet!!!!

:happy3:

Really? An 'licensed' shirt actually manufactured on behalf of the club? Was it made by a company like Bukta or a local Glasgow company? That's fascinating, it would be great if you could put up some photos!

I've never checked the label. And not even sure if if had a badge, but definitely a Jags shirt. I'll take a closer look when I get home next month.