Reasons Our Managers Have Left In The Past

Jaggernaut

As I recall, definitely because the board gave a verbal agreement to McParland that Strachan would be appointed to a coaching post the following season, then reneged on that agreement. Some things never change.

GIven that we've had about 3 really good managers (McParland, Lambie, McNamara) since I started watching the jags in 1963 (50/3 =16.666666), we should expect to wade through another 17 years of sh1te before the next good one comes along. Probably pan breid by then, so that's it really.

• Like 1

GIven that we've had about 3 really good managers (McParland, Lambie, McNamara) since I started watching the jags in 1963 (50/3 =16.666666), we should expect to wade through another 17 years of sh1te before the next good one comes along. Probably pan breid by then, so that's it really.

You could probably throw Bertie Auld in there as well. That might get the average up enough for you to see one more before you pop yer clogs :D

Thanks Gaz - I felt Ten Thirty and Bunter were borderline cases, but wouldn't argue one way or the other, and yes Lambie could count twice!

I didnt mean to denigrate, or prejudge, Archie and Shaggy in any way and I agree they were absolutely the correct interim choice. Need to wait and see what happens next, though. I wouldn't blame the board if they delayed a final decision until the end of the season to see how they shape up.

Honestly when you see some of the name being kicked around by the cretins who call themselves 'sports journalists' (see the Baboon's Arse's comments on how the NewCo tax-dogers were goiing to 'storm Tannadice' - wi what? Red Cards?! Ya f @ nnybaws!) you think these two might actually do a better job.

And sorry, that was a slur on cretins.

Edited by Semi Nurainen

As I recall, definitely because the board gave a verbal agreement to McParland that Strachan would be appointed to a coaching post the following season, then reneged on that agreement. Some things never change.

I don't believe McNamara has done enough to be deemed a really good manager, sure he has us on the right road & has potential but he achieved nothing in his time at Firhill in terms of silverware & only managed in the 1st Division. His away record this season is pretty poor & I think that's partly down to not having a Plan B.

Bertie might not have been a favourite at the time, for some reason he was deemed as negative even though we had some of our greatest strikers and positive players in my 40+ years of watching during his tenure, but he won the 1st Division & kept us in the Premier League for 6 seasons or so despite having a part-time team. It's time some gave him a lot more credit than he got at the time

Edited by jaggy
  • Like 1

I don't believe McNamara has done enough to be deemed a really good manager, sure he has us on the right road & has potential but he achieved nothing in his time at Firhill in terms of silverware & only managed in the 1st Division. His away record this season is pretty poor & I think that's partly down to not having a Plan B.

Bertie might not have been a favourite at the time, for some reason he was deemed as negative even though we had some of our greatest strikers and positive players in my 40+ years of watching during his tenure, but he won the 1st Division & kept us in the Premier League for 6 seasons or so despite having a part-time team. It's time some gave him a lot more credit than he got at the time

Absolutely true. But things have moved on,. No way today, wit the money in the game, taht players like Doug Somner, John Hansen, Joe Crag, Jackie Campbell, Andy Anderson, Colin Mc Adam to name but a few, would be content to remin part-time as was the case during Bertie Auld's reign.. ( More's the pity - some great memories!)

I loved the Bertie era. You turned up at Firhill expecting the Old Firm to get a doing which they regularly got. Great times. A wee pocket of hardened jags fans surrounded on the terracing by the neds, the rest cramming into the enclosure. Somner, Craig and Melrose, big MacAdam heading in the winners then dodging the bottles outside.

• Like 1

i'm pretty sure that Bertie wasn't sacked in the mid-80's. As I recall it, Ken Bates sent Derek Johnstone up from Chelsea to be Assistant without telling Bertie. Bertie knew what a useless git he was and walked as Johnstone's imposition was non-negotiable. Johnstone became manager and was utterly useless. I think it's fair to say that Bertie knows a lot more about fitba than Bates.

• Like 2