Just In V Airdrie

Camallain

Another three points in the bag but to be honest that was without question the poorest performance I have witnessed from Thistle this season. A really disjointed display with only brief flashes of the passing game that we have all become so used to. It has to be said that the Jags did dominate throughout but never really looked like doing Airdrie much damage. The visitors approach was just as physical as Hamilton on Tuesday night and they were lucky that their centre half didn’t see red. The highlight of the game was a quite sublime strike from Chris Erskine which won the points for the Jags. Erskine won man of the match but Muirhead and Balatoni were also excellent however too many of the others were way off form with Bannigan and Sinclair being the worst offenders.

Performance levels are going to have to improve big time if we are hoping to pick up away wins at Cowdenbeath & Dunfermline!!

Edited by Camallain

Another good 3 points- wouldn't be too critical as this is the business time of the season and its always difficult when teams defend deep and play for a draw. Erskine superb and deserved that strike slipping in under the bar. If we can get past Cowdenbeath on Tuesday convinced we will play better against the pars and other teams that will give us more space. ODonnell still not firing again yet but hopefully regaining match fitness as each game passes. thought Welsh added a bit more steel in mid field when he came on and we looked more balanced rather than playing Forbes on the right. Thought Doolan held ball up well but just needs to get in the right position in the box to start scoring.

I'm starting to doubt Archie to be honest. Ive been unable to attend any games this season as im in SE Asia right now but when he was 'appointed' I had real doubts.

The problem I see with the appointment is that Archie seems to be one of the boys, and the problem i see with that is that he would fail to command 'real' respect from the players. Archie, no doubt is a great guy but I just dont see him getting the best out of the current crop of players due to him being so close to the players.

Had roles been reversed and Thistle had been 2-0 down to Morton at Firhill las weekend could he have got the players going enough to get back to 2-2? I doubt it.

Absolutely willing to give him more time, but from the comments and the text commentary thats been coming through Im not exactly overwhelmed by enthusiasm since he took over. In my opion we need to appoint an experienced manager with some know how in getting the best out of players. Especially at this stage in the season

Just my thoughts though.

Edited by firhillfill
  • Like 1

It was another ground out win,although having said that it could have been a few more. Their keeper had a couple of excellent saves and one he had no idea about. Add to that some poor finishing and it made for an nervous game again. I think our pitch is not in great nick, so silky football is unlikely. Firhillfill is being harsh on Archie 7 points from 9 is a good start. Although Erskine got MOTM, again it because he scored. I think Conrad should have got it. Another clean sheet for that particular defence.

• Like 1

Without doubt the least entertaining 90 minutes at Firhill this season...we looked tentative, the pitch was a bit bumpy, Airdrie were dreadful.

We lacked a little spark with Lawless and Forbes not quite at their best...but nobody was brilliant or dreadful.

Magnificent goal from Erskine...and 3 points will do.

IFirhillfill is being harsh on Archie 7 points from 9 is a good start. .

Perhaps, and agreed looking at the points its a good start but far from convincing. Remember we've just scraped 1-0 wins against teams we won comfortably 4-0 and 7-0 against at the start of the season.

We'd have taken a draw against Morton at the start of the match, but having been 2-0 up and throwing it away?

I understand the boards thinking of needing some continuity and consistency however I think experience is going to be a major factor in this run in.

Edited by firhillfill

Yes we won by one goal but 1-0 flatters airdrie. Scott fox hardly had anything to do today. It wasn't the usual heart attack last 5 minutes when you're only 1 goal up.

I'd love to win by bigger margins but I'll take 3 points no matter how we get them. No complaints about archie so far, 7 out of 9 is not a bad job so far!

I know I've been droning on about this for weeks but Forbes's set pieces are not enough to justify his inclusion in the starting eleven. He is ponderous, slow to release the ball, doesn't track back and his head goes down when things don't go his way. He was awful today. Archie needs to start with Welsh.

Like others have said, Sinclair and Lawless are struggling for form and SOD is lacking match fitness. I also thought Pates was a bit off the pace. However, I thought Muirhead put in a towering performance and Balatoni was good too. And Erskine's goal was worth the admission fee alone.

A poor performance but the points are in the bag. The sign of champions?

• Like 2

I've been unable to attend any games this season

We'd have taken a draw against Morton at the start of the match, but having been 2-0 up and throwing it away?

I'm sorry, but we did not 'throw' that game away. That was a good point regardless of who was in charge, considering all in all the length between matches and the off-pitch changes. Seven out of nine points is fine. And we wouldn't have done any better had McNamara stayed.

We're not beating teams seven-nil because they know to come and park the bus. And if we played badly today and still won? Well what else can you ask for? That's how you win leagues.

Edited by peagreenboy
  • Like 1

I'm starting to doubt Archie to be honest. Ive been unable to attend any games this season as im in SE Asia right now but when he was 'appointed' I had real doubts.

The problem I see with the appointment is that Archie seems to be one of the boys, and the problem i see with that is that he would fail to command 'real' respect from the players. Archie, no doubt is a great guy but I just dont see him getting the best out of the current crop of players due to him being so close to the players.

Had roles been reversed and Thistle had been 2-0 down to Morton at Firhill las weekend could he have got the players going enough to get back to 2-2? I doubt it.

Absolutely willing to give him more time, but from the comments and the text commentary thats been coming through Im not exactly overwhelmed by enthusiasm since he took over. In my opion we need to appoint an experienced manager with some know how in getting the best out of players. Especially at this stage in the season

Just my thoughts though.

I have to agree with everything you have said regarding Archie, i was really disappointed with today's

performance, we really need a experienced manager to sort out the team.

Edited by DPO

I'm sorry, but we did not 'throw' that game away. That was a good point regardless of who was in charge, considering all in all the length between matches and the off-pitch changes. Seven out of nine points is fine. And we wouldn't have done any better had McNamara stayed.

We're not beating teams seven-nil because they know to come and park the bus. And if we played badly today and still won? Well what else can you ask for? That's how you win leagues.

What I'm saying is that we have been completely unconvincing against teams we easily disposed of previously in the league.

I reckon you or I could have taken at least 7 from 9 points out of the last 3 games, easily.

Time will tell I suppose, but from my 'outside of the box' viewpoint I have some major doubts. I wilol be 100% happy to be proven completely wrong, but I just dont see it.

Since we're quoting...

I'm sorry, but we did not 'throw' that game away.

What would you call it? 2-0 up. Against rivals for the league title. In our most important to date match of the season so far and the game finished 2-2.

Im sorry but that is throwing away a 2 goal lead, regardless of how you look at it.

• Like 1

FFS as the late great Jimmy Sandison used to say "were you at the game"???? If not don't post about performances and direction of the team.

With a bit more luck we could have won the last 2 games by 4 goals. On both occasions we were well on top and other than the irrational footie fan fear of the opposition sneaking a goal we weren't troubled.

I can't see any prospect of an 'experienced' manager getting more out of the players just now than someone who knows their strengths and weaknesses to an intimate level.

• Like 2

Jesus!! Some knickerwetters on her about Archie. We won, 7 out of 9 isnt bad. We are grinding out results against buses parked against us. We had doubts we could do this when it mattered.

We are at the business end of the season and it is rare that you get silky football in a tight battle.

We keep winning and Morton will be looking over their shoulder at us and they come to Firhill.

Get off Archies back until end of season, and take it from there.

No guarantee an experienced manager would do the job. A different style might de-rail us completely. Getting to know the players in such a short space of time would have been difficult and as the race is so tight there is no margin for error.

OK Morton humped Pars, but is it really surprising with whats going on there and the mess they are in, Would you be motivated if you werent getting monies you were due?

We need to stick together to push players on.

3 points at Cowdenbeath awaits.

• Like 2

Two clean sheets at home and an away draw against our rivals....how can anyone criticise that? :shok: . You need to take into account we are now under real pressure to win and we are!!!. Let's see how the next two away games go. Our record under Jackie away was poor, so for me that is the acid test.

Jesus!! Some knickerwetters on her about Archie. We won, 7 out of 9 isnt bad. We are grinding out results against buses parked against us. We had doubts we could do this when it mattered.

We are at the business end of the season and it is rare that you get silky football in a tight battle.

We keep winning and Morton will be looking over their shoulder at us and they come to Firhill.

No guarantee an experienced manager would do the job. A different style might de-rail us completely. Getting to know the players in such a short space of time would have been difficult and as the race is so tight there is no margin for error.

OK Morton humped Pars, but is it really surprising with whats going on there and the mess they are in, Would you be motivated if you werent getting monies you were due?

100% Agree!!! Lets get behind Archie and the boys.

What a lot of nonsense!

No offence firhillfill but you're making judgements on a few comments on this forum?

The pitch in the last couple of games has been poor and cut up very quickly. Along with that we've played opposition who have come to frustrate.

As for the comment on the Morton game about if roles were reversed and if we were 2 down, well if my auntie had baws....

Remember also we hadn't played for 3 weeks also before that game.

Spoke with an Airdrie fan after the game who said even by Boyle's tactics of late today was ridiculous.

Their keeper had two or three v good saves along with Erskine, Doolan & Welsh all missing chances they should arguably have done better with. Forbes had a free kick in the first half which had keeper beaten and grazed the post on way by.

Fox apart from an occasional corner or by kick saw little of the ball.

We created plenty of chances today & apart from a couple of moments in second half, the fans drove the team on.

Much better performance than Wed night in terms of creating chances but same result.

I'll take that every game between now & end of season.

& those banging on about changing the team. Doolan was outstanding today, Forbes, who was other that came in from Tuesday's team has been a regular under McNamara.

Nonsense.

Stewarty, you are spot on my friend.

Edited by Trotter
  • Like 1

Far better counter argument than Clydebankjags "were you at the game".

Im just slightly concerned about how convincing these wins were. I'm almost certain almost every jags supporter could have taken at least 7 from 9 out of the last 3 games.

Hopefully I'll be proved wrong I just cant see archie giving these guys a bollocking when/if they need it, Can you?

There really is no pleasing some people. I've seen us play better football & not win.

Archie got us our first point against Morton this season, McNamara didn't get us any.

We need to remember that we didn't play for a few weeks then we played sat - tues - sat. Give the team and archie and break.

Lets get behind them for Tuesday night. Central Park is one of the few grounds I've not been too, I think I'll need to sort that out next week!

Edited by upthejags