Managerial Shortlist

GrantB

Archie's if he wants it. Why not?

His managerial experience is limited to a few games. Has he even got his coaching badges? Jackie had to get his. Would you appoint an inexperienced manager to run a business that you owned?

The managerial shortlist in it's entirety should read-

1) Archibald, Alan

2) Paterson, Shaggie

The article says that the board is no hurry to make an appointment, i.e. they will be given the chance to prove that they should be their jobs on a permanent basis. It is only right that the board considers alternatives, especially if results deteriorate.

I doubt we'll see a permanent appointment until the end of the season. Archie's done a great job, much better than I expected; truth be told. I'd be all for him getting the position. If the board decide to go in another direction, I'll back them with that too. Would be interesting to know who's on the shortlist...

• Like 1

I doubt we'll see a permanent appointment until the end of the season. Archie's done a great job, much better than I expected; truth be told. I'd be all for him getting the position. If the board decide to go in another direction, I'll back them with that too. Would be interesting to know who's on the shortlist...

It's likely that a permanent manager will be appointed by the end of the month. We have six more matches in March so Archie will have had enough games to prove himself. Ideally, the new permanent manager should be in place before the Ramsden's Cup Final. After that, there are six more league games to decide the title and promotion.

The report says a Firhill 'source'.

Why? Why not name him/her?

Unless it hasn't come directly from the boardroom?

I think the article is nonsense from start to finish.

Of course the BoD have to make a plan B just in case but come on...

The middle of the article says:

The Jags hierarchy have not approached any of the final six to speak to them over the position and are in no rush to make an appointment, with Archibald and assistant Scott Paterson continuing to take the team on a day-to-day basis.

A Firhill source told SportTimes: "The board have narrowed it down to six people. They haven't approached anyone to interview them. The club has an internal shortlist, but haven't approached anyone.

"The board are trying not to put a timescale on it. There is no rush to do anything. Archie is doing a fantastic job.

"The board have sat down with Archie and told him how they plan to do things. He is aware of the process. This is the way the board want to do things just now. Archie is still the interim manager and is keen to show what he can do.

So, can someone tell me what the purpose of the article is/was if not to p*ss off or unsettle folk on the playing staff?

Tomorrow, Chris Jack's source tells him that either us or Morton will win league & the day after that will be Friday!! State the obvious why not!

Shoddy journalism at its best imo.

• Like 3

^ It seems consistent with Beattie's programme comments on the process. When Jackie was appointed permanently, two other candidates were interviewed but their identities were not made public. Archie will be the clear favourite. However, some idle speculation on candidates is always a bit of fun.

Archie's if he wants it. Why not?

"Former Rangers midfielder Ian Ferguson and ex Hull City boss Phil Brown have both been linked with the position ..."

NO, TA

Linked by who?

This is an example of one of my pet hates. The press essentially reporting what they've read/reported elsewhere and passing it off as news.

It's like me writing; "Tom Hosie is going to step up from programme editor to become Thistle manager" (not a bad idea btw) and then a week or so later writing; "Tom Hosie, who has been linked to the Partick Thistle manager job, is rumoured to be dating Scarlett Johansson" (not a bad idea btw).

The ET article is in essence nothing more than a rehash of David Beattie's comments in the last programme. There will no doubt be a further update in this week's.

The above should really cement my popularity in the Firhill Press Box. I'm not really having a pop at anyone; it just bugs me.

I saw his tweet yesterday ("update for search in new partick thistle manager") about the article and got a bit excited, only to read it this morning. More non-news, as a couple have mentioned. What is the point? I think I prefer us not being in the paper than printing articles for the sake of it.

This Chris Jack also just re-writes the bbc or clubs tweets into his own tweets (and stories), never anything new or even I havent read elsewhere before.

Linked by who?

This is an example of one of my pet hates. The press essentially reporting what they've read/reported elsewhere and passing it off as news.

It's like me writing; "Tom Hosie is going to step up from programme editor to become Thistle manager" (not a bad idea btw) and then a week or so later writing; "Tom Hosie, who has been linked to the Partick Thistle manager job, is rumoured to be dating Scarlett Johansson" (not a bad idea btw).

The ET article is in essence nothing more than a rehash of David Beattie's comments in the last programme. There will no doubt be a further update in this week's.

The above should really cement my popularity in the Firhill Press Box. I'm not really having a pop at anyone; it just bugs me.

Are you trying to cut my grass Hosie :angry3:

Whether we go up or not I would give the job to Archie and Shaggy. They have done great up to now (where is Firhillfill by the way??) and both are loved by the fans. Given the start they have made better sticking with them than bringing in someone that has no identity with the club. The players want it, most of the fans want it...what are the board waiting on??

I can't make my mind up on this one. McNamara stated in previous meetings with fans that Archie was almost learning to play football again as he had always been taught to hoof it up the park and they encouraged him to pass more. You could see this on the park that even in his twilight years he kept trying to improve. By all accounts he has continued to coach and setup the team similar to Jackie's passing philosophy. He is disciplined, a good role model and really looks after himself physically. He is ripped.

However has this come to early for him? He is still learning to coach, needs to get his badges and pick up other experience and IF we get promotion it's a whole different ball game and he will need to strengthen the squad, maybe even sell to get some funds instead of carrying on McNamara's good foundations.

At the very least he should be kept as a coach as part of the long term plan to increase continuity and promote the new philosophy of the club. A club our size only need a manager and assistant, we will never bring in more members than that if we go for a different setup. General Manager who understands football speaking between board and management team. Gerry as head of youth. Coaches at different levels.

• Like 1