Away Fans -North Stand

jagielka

when we win the league and go into the top div. how long before the board let the fans know they need to get back out the north stand to let the visiting crown in. theres no way they can afford to miss out on the money, at least they might be able to get better turnstiles in place at that end, there still using the same ones i tried to climb over back in the mid 60's.lol had to go round the back and over the wall at the canal (with a wee lift up that is), when all else failed.

They can have the same part of the JHS that away fans currently get, plus part of the Excellent Main Stand (presuming it gets its safety certificate renewed).

I have to confess to scaling the wall alongside the nolly and dreepying down onto the ground behind the shed when I was too big for a lift over and too skint to pay in... In the very old days, of course.

• Like 1

We need to keep the singers in the North Stand if we get promoted. They really do spurn the team on and have made Firhill an enjoyable place for the first time in years. It doesn't limit the number of away fans we can house. We have 1,200 seats set aside for away fans in the JH and the Main Stand has another 2,000 as overflow.

Might be a requirement in the SPHell , to keep the fans completely separated in which case I'd suggest opening up the main stand for visiting supporters. Can anyone correct me if I'm wrong , but in my early days ( the mid 50's and 60's) I don't recall any segregation of fans at all !! My Dad lifted me over the turnstiles and we used to just stand under the old shed where the JH stand is now .

Might be a requirement in the SPHell , to keep the fans completely separated in which case I'd suggest opening up the main stand for visiting supporters. Can anyone correct me if I'm wrong , but in my early days ( the mid 50's and 60's) I don't recall any segregation of fans at all !! My Dad lifted me over the turnstiles and we used to just stand under the old shed where the JH stand is now .

No segregation as such. Common to change ends at half time.

No segregation as such. Common to change ends at half time.

Aye , quite right !! thanks LIB , jolted the memory !! when I went along with my mates in later teen years we did exactly that , just shows you how aggressive people have become that they need to be separated , still see a wee bit of nastiness at times toward visiting fans which isnt really called for .

Aye , quite right !! thanks LIB , jolted the memory !! when I went along with my mates in later teen years we did exactly that , just shows you how aggressive people have become that they need to be separated , still see a wee bit of nastiness at times toward visiting fans which isnt really called for .

In those days, visiting players and fans were subjected to ridiculously abusive terms such as 'mug' and 'balloon'. Some of the more unruly elements of the shed would even go as far as to shout stuff like "away and bile yer heid ya mug ye" at opposition keepers for instance. Today's world is of course a very different place and such unacceptable invective would certainly result in custodial sentences for the culprits.

• Like 1

No such requirement in the SPL.

St mirrens away gate at NSP:

Celtic 2434 2462

Kilmarnock 2022

Dundee 975

Hibernian 959 645

Motherwell 956

Aberdeen 937

Hearts 829 526

Dundee Utd 573

Ayr Utd 339

St Johnstone 315 680

Ross County 262 219

ICT 250 95

Brechin City 220

Hamilton 120

• Like 1

In those days, visiting players and fans were subjected to ridiculously abusive terms such as 'mug' and 'balloon'. Some of the more unruly elements of the shed would even go as far as to shout stuff like "away and bile yer heid ya mug ye" at opposition keepers for instance. Today's world is of course a very different place and such unacceptable invective would certainly result in custodial sentences for the culprits.

Very true !! You never really heard any swearing as such, now I come to think of it , meaning no need to have a family section !! and the pie and bovril tasted better !!
  • Like 1

Very true !! You never really heard any swearing as such, now I come to think of it , meaning no need to have a family section !! and the pie and bovril tasted better !!

Hmm, isn't that, well, a load of pish?

...or is "pish" the type of unacceptable invective that would surely result in a custodial sentence?

I'd imagine that there was, to some extent, a self-policing in the pre-segregation era: but I amn't sure that I buy all that glory days and "honest coothie banter" keech.

In those days, visiting players and fans were subjected to ridiculously abusive terms such as 'mug' and 'balloon'. Some of the more unruly elements of the shed would even go as far as to shout stuff like "away and bile yer heid ya mug ye" at opposition keepers for instance.

Listen out for the guy at Dumbarton who still bawls such offending material, (He looks like Mr Punch.) When I covered games there my fellow journos and I had "bingo cards" of his phrases to mark every game.

His absolute favourite - and it appears EVERY game at some point - is "Wherr wur yoo whin thi brains wurr haunded oot?"

Wish I could remember his name. It'll come to me. FRASER - that's it!!

(PS: On the subject of naughty words, we could run a competition to find out who has seen Fergie of the Accies ejected most times. [Younger fans, ask yer da.] At Fir Park the polis used to lead him past the home fans just for the fun of it.)

Edited by Sam Leitch Loyal
  • Like 1

Absolutely. Even at Celtic v Rangers games there was no official segregation. Sure, there were "traditional ends" behind the goals where the most fervent fans congregated, but otherwise there was no segregation whatever. Nor, as I recall, was singing a feature of games whether OF or other, and there is no doubt that language was far more restrained than today. Of course, the average age of fans was probably much higher. There is a famous photograph by Oscar Marzaroli of the crowd at the " Celtic End" at Hampden in 1963 which is a perfect picture of a crowd in the immediate post-war period. When OF visited Firhill, the situation was very similar. Not until the mid- to late-seventies do I remember strict segregation being enforced. I'd be interested to know when separate gates for "home" and "away" support were introduced, Why,and by whom?

Absolutely. Even at Celtic v Rangers games there was no official segregation. Sure, there were "traditional ends" behind the goals where the most fervent fans congregated, but otherwise there was no segregation whatever. Nor, as I recall, was singing a feature of games whether OF or other, and there is no doubt that language was far more restrained than today. Of course, the average age of fans was probably much higher. There is a famous photograph by Oscar Marzaroli of the crowd at the " Celtic End" at Hampden in 1963 which is a perfect picture of a crowd in the immediate post-war period. When OF visited Firhill, the situation was very similar. Not until the mid- to late-seventies do I remember strict segregation being enforced. I'd be interested to know when separate gates for "home" and "away" support were introduced, Why,and by whom?

Simple: the segregation was brought in simply because of a growing hooligan problem (i.e., fighting) at matches in the early 70s; that's when the railing went up in the old shed at Firhill, one result of it. I'm guessing it was either imposed by the polis, the footballing authorities, or both.

About where to accommodate visiting fans if we're in the SPL next year; the northernmost section of the JH stand will easily accommodate most away supports. The north end of the main stand could also be used when necessary, though we'd need to be prepared for all the insults about how primitive it is, similar to what we tend to dish out to the likes of Morton, Cowdenbeath etc.

I'm sure there was still a lot of swearing and stuff back then but also back then you could easily move away from any guys that bothered you so maybe you wouldn't notice it as much.

I do remember standing on Firhill terraces once near a young couple and this old guy behind them every so often shouted out sweary abuse at a player. He'd suddenly realise there was a young lassie in front of him and aplogised to her. Then minutes later - swear, apologise, swear apologise on and on for ages. The young couple thought it was hilarious if memory serves.

Edited by Mr Bunny

No reason whatsoever to change where the fans are this season. Not many SPL teams will bring more than what they are allocated in the JHS, when they do the Main Stand can be opened. Home crowds will go up as well so the North Stand will only grow in numbers.

Everyone agrees the North Stand has made Firhill better this season, those running the place would be mad to change it, thankfully the BoD seem to care a little more about their 'customers' these days.

when we win the league and go into the top div. how long before the board let the fans know they need to get back out the north stand to let the visiting crown in. theres no way they can afford to miss out on the money, at least they might be able to get better turnstiles in place at that end, there still using the same ones i tried to climb over back in the mid 60's.lol had to go round the back and over the wall at the canal (with a wee lift up that is), when all else failed.

Really don't understand where your logic for this is coming from.

The section of the JH we give to away fans holds 1,500. At no point this season has that been close to full and if you look at St Mirren's away gates (which is a good comparison) the away supports in the SPL aren't much better than the 1st division. We'd probably be in the top 6 in terms of away supports ourselves.

Simple: the segregation was brought in simply because of a growing hooligan problem (i.e., fighting) at matches in the early 70s; that's when the railing went up in the old shed at Firhill, one result of it. I'm guessing it was either imposed by the polis, the footballing authorities, or both.

I've been wracking my brain for ages trying to remember what the first game was when that railing went up. I think it might've been a midweek Glasgow Cup game against the Tims, or it was against Airdrie on a Saturday; both around 1973ish. These are my two earliest memories of it.

In some ways, it resulted in greater tensions between ours and opposition fans because you felt safer giving them dog's abuse knowing they couldn't get you because of the railing. It just meant you were a wee bit more careful on the way out, though, as you would often bump into the big massive bstrt you were slaughtering during the game from the safety of the 'Jags side' of the railing. . . . So I'm led to believe. :hypocrite:

In the event of playing the green arse-cheek in the SPL or the blue-arse cheek in the early rounds of the FA or League Cup we have a perfectly good bing to accomodate the visiting masses. £25 quid a skull should cover our costs ;)

• Like 2

I've been wracking my brain for ages trying to remember what the first game was when that railing went up. I think it might've been a midweek Glasgow Cup game against the Tims, or it was against Airdrie on a Saturday; both around 1973ish. These are my two earliest memories of it.

In some ways, it resulted in greater tensions between ours and opposition fans because you felt safer giving them dog's abuse knowing they couldn't get you because of the railing. It just meant you were a wee bit more careful on the way out, though, as you would often bump into the big massive bstrt you were slaughtering during the game from the safety of the 'Jags side' of the railing. . . . So I'm led to believe. :hypocrite:

Pretty sure it was late 1970s when it went up - remember standing in the enclosure against Celtic when Alan Hansen was still with us as we had been taking a pounding standing in the shed where there was no segregation - we scored a late equaliser from memory :thumbsup2:

In the event of playing the green arse-cheek in the SPL or the blue-arse cheek in the early rounds of the FA or League Cup we have a perfectly good bing to accomodate the visiting masses. £25 quid a skull should cover our costs ;)

This shows all that is wrong with Scottish football. Someone's bound to take up your suggestion and think that we need to (can get away with) charge home fans the same! :frantic:

This shows all that is wrong with Scottish football. Someone's bound to take up your suggestion and think that we need to (can get away with) charge home fans the same! :frantic:

Don't worry the bing has its own unique facilities therefore we can charge accordingly ;)

Pretty sure it was late 1970s when it went up - remember standing in the enclosure against Celtic when Alan Hansen was still with us as we had been taking a pounding standing in the shed where there was no segregation - we scored a late equaliser from memory :thumbsup2:

You might well be right there, Jim. My head plays more tricks these days than Dynamo the Magician. In fact, now that you come to mention it, I remember the great 4-3 game where Hansen single-handedly atomised the hvns midweek and watching it from the old North terracing because of the high volume of practising cave men in the unsegregated shed. That was in '76 or '77.