Stephen Hawking Warns Over Making Contact With Aliens

andyconnor

It's an interesting point.... but mathematically, or scientifically to be more precise, I would say that it's more likely that if aliens do exist then they are so far far away that contact is hitherto not practical to all intents and purposes. That Hawking is an idiot (ahem..... probably just rubbish bbc reporting as usual... or it's me that's an idiot heh ehhehe hehe ehe ehheheheh hehheh hhehe hhehe ).

I understand that this story emerged after Prof. Hawking had been browsing various locations, using Google Earth. He apparently zoomed in on Firhill Road and spotted Owen Coyle enjoying his seemingly bi-monthly walk there.

If this turns out to be true, we probably do have something to fear after all.

It is difficult to generalise but all terrestrial animal life has evolved by ruthlessly exploiting the surrounding plants and animals. Animals that didn't do so would quickly lose out in any evolutionary competition to animals that did, so I expect that any extra-terrestrial life would have had to evolve in the same way.

They might chose to use their intellegence to overcome that, e.g. in the way that we don't eat pet cats.

I guess we have to look at the speed of light as a limit beyond which travel is impossible. So I suspect that the nearest life is simply too far away for us to meet.

• 2 years later...
It is difficult to generalise but all terrestrial animal life has evolved by ruthlessly exploiting the surrounding plants and animals. Animals that didn't do so would quickly lose out in any evolutionary competition to animals that did, so I expect that any extra-terrestrial life would have had to evolve in the same way. They might chose to use their intellegence to overcome that, e.g. in the way that we don't eat pet cats. I guess we have to look at the speed of light as a limit beyond which travel is impossible. So I suspect that the nearest life is simply too far away for us to meet.
What???