Thatcher

Jaggernaut

• Administrators

This has nothing do to with censorship. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and if you don't agree with what Thatcher stood for or done to the country then express that. We just don't think that there is any need to celebrate the death of someone.

Feel free to start a thread to discuss Thatcher - but the thread we closed was just a thread laughing at a dead person.

Cheers

Their site, their decision. Move on Jaggernaut. Everyone else has. It's starting to look like a childish huff.

"Move on." "Draw a line under it." "Look forwards, not backwards." etc. etc. These are the kinds of remarks that you get from politicians caught lying, cheating, or involved in some other unsavoury act. I and other posters enjoyed Sigesige's posts, and I'll continue to question his continued admin-imposed exile, if you don't mind. No huff; I'm still posting, ain't I?

• Members

So you're saying I'm a cheating liar and involved in some unsavory act. And worst of all I'm a politician!!!

You have no idea of the full reasons why they don't want him here and what private conversations they have had with him yet you still go on about it. They've made a decision and you continually moaning about it isn't going to change their mind.

I'll draw your attention to post #12 in this thread. I wouldn't blame them if this did happen with some of the petty nonsense I've seen towards a couple of people that are porviding a service to Jags fans all over the world.

So you're saying I'm a cheating liar and involved in some unsavory act. And worst of all I'm a politician!!!

You have no idea of the full reasons why they don't want him here and what private conversations they have had with him yet you still go on about it. They've made a decision and you continually moaning about it isn't going to change their mind.

I'll draw your attention to post #12 in this thread. I wouldn't blame them if this did happen with some of the petty nonsense I've seen towards a couple of people that are porviding a service to Jags fans all over the world.

Actually, Mr Sigesige would probably be horrified to be mentioned in the same thread as Thatcher. So no more mention of him from me on here. If I post again on this thread it will simply be to pay Thatcher the respect she deserves...

Tell me that this won't involve a state funeral. Better arrange counselling for Jaggy B. Is there enough Kleenex and bog roll in Penicuik? Ramsdens defeat and then this... hard times for the old chap.

I was actually making a serious point regarding a funeral at state expense. The Jaggy B jibe was bad-taste forum banter between two old sparring partners; nothing more. For the record, whilst I despised Thatcher and her government for all that they stood for and did to the country, I do not stoop so low as to make fun out of death. Having suffered from dementia for a number of years, I think she'd been living a kind of living death. A horrible illness and this removed her powers of reflection; not that I for one minute think she'd have ever regretted any of her actions...

But is a state funeral with full honours really warranted? I'd argue no. She was ultimately shafted by her own kind and this is the way of the political class - dog eat dog, or in this case dog eat Tory (in case of causing offence I even avoided an obvious jokey dig there!). This is not a time for national grief and the funeral could seriously back-fire on this government. IMO, Thatcher's funeral should be a private family matter and not involve the State; an institution she despised and tried to minimise and dilute at every turn.

To afford her a grand funeral at public expense during time of recession is yet further evidence of how out of touch with public opinion this government is. What is the purpose? Is it to show that that Britain is still a world power that can still pull in foreign leaders for big events? Will Blair be given a similar send off? Possibly (but I'd like to think no). Plus I think we know that Gordon Brown will be lucky if he gets a mention on local radio when his time comes.

Brave decision by admin' to open this up and I hope it doesn't get too heated. In this respect I can see where Willjag may be coming from and hinting at. I've said my piece and will keep out of this one...

Edited by Meister Jag

Well done admin for seeing the error of their ways with their initial knee-jerk and over the top reaction - there was no need to initially close the thread within a couple of hours of its appearing - what's posted then (and to now) has been tame and measured in comparison to plenty of other mainstream, non-mainstream and even media websites fora.

As Jags fans, we generally can be relied on for reasoned debate with a hefty dose of humour thrown in. And when something OTT is posted, these views are soon challenged and invariably either retracted or the threat of nuclear verbal war is averted.

With regards the Topic title and our fair city, can i ask if any Jags were in vicinity of George Square last night, and if so, are there any willing to admit that they actually entered the field of play of George Square and celebrated ala Livi 121 minutes, before retreating back to the shadows?

No one so far has admitted to taking to the field at Livi on this fora (although i am sure some of those who did, are posters on this site), so am wondering if celebrating on George Square is seen as a more or less acceptable admission to make?

Well done admin for seeing the error of their ways with their initial knee-jerk and over the top reaction - there was no need to initially close the thread within a couple of hours of its appearing - what's posted then (and to now) has been tame and measured in comparison to plenty of other mainstream, non-mainstream and even media websites fora.

As Jags fans, we generally can be relied on for reasoned debate with a hefty dose of humour thrown in. And when something OTT is posted, these views are soon challenged and invariably either retracted or the threat of nuclear verbal war is averted.

With regards the Topic title and our fair city, can i ask if any Jags were in vicinity of George Square last night, and if so, are there any willing to admit that they actually entered the field of play of George Square and celebrated ala Livi 121 minutes, before retreating back to the shadows?

No one so far has admitted to taking to the field at Livi on this fora (although i am sure some of those who did, are posters on this site), so am wondering if celebrating on George Square is seen as a more or less acceptable admission to make?

Is it some sort of witch hunt? Not sure why people would admit in a public forum that they entered the field of play which, although there is likely going to be no punishment, is actually a criminal offence.

My views on Thatcher are unprintable, suffice it to say I'm not in mourning. The whole idea of a state funeral for such a divisive and controversial a figure as Margaret Thatcher is as Meister Jag has pointed out an indication of how out of touch this government actually is. In addition the wholesale rewriting of history that has accompanied the mourning of the British establishment leaves little doubt as to the unimportance of memory or perhaps the ownership of memory is in today's society. Amidst all the faux mourning it is perhaps apposite to ask why it was acceptable to crush the aspirations and beliefs of thousands under the heel of the desire to end the subsidy of "old" industries, yet it is equally acceptable to spend billions maintaining the health and wealth of the the financial sector whose very incompetence is to blame for the entirety of the mess we now live with. I totally accept the label of an unreconstructed left winger, I see nothing to be proud of or indeed to aspire to in the so called new Conservative revolution, rather a continuation of the old adage that the poor get poorer and the rich get richer.

• Like 2