Strips And Merchandise For Next Season

kni

Mate, the majority of what you mention are the puma strips... We haven't seen joma's strips.

Regarding the casual range in puma's first year, I really don't remember anything that was any good. Was it not all red n white?

All of what I mentioned was Puma. You were laughing at the comment on a previous post that Puma had spoiled us, and I was agreeing with that previous post that I thought Puma's gear was pretty decent.

I thought the paint stripe shirt was nice, but it did look pretty daft with the shorts and socks that came with it. Both of last season's kits were belters in my opinion too.

Before the deal with Greaves/Puma we hadn't had a nice shirt, home or away since our last First Division championship campaign, so perhaps my definition of 'belter' is all relative.

My favourite Puma tops were last year and then the paintbrush - albeit I agree that both would have looked much better with red shorts and socks. The first years home top was the best in years, but we'd had reasonably poor quality home tops for as long as I can remember by that point. And I've liked all the Puma away tops too. I'd say we've been very well served with strips, in particular with how unique they are. I don't buy leisure stuff anyway so don't really care about that.

If Joma can deliver strips as original and well designed as the Puma stuff I'll be delighted. And very surprised...

Please tell us more about your love of natural fibres, Kni.

Not a love, synthetic fibres like nylon and polyester irritate my skin.

However, you can't beat John Smedley's sea island cotton polo shirts. :)

Puma were responsible for my favourite ever Thistle strips, particularly the first home one they did. Our strips more often than not were the best in the country. But I'm not too encouraged by Joma at all, and they haven't got off to the best of starts with some of this casual wear. The home strip is what matters though, and it should be hard for anyone to go wrong with our colours. I'll give them a chance.

£14.50 from the TTL shop. How much extra will fans pay for a Thistle badge on the front?

joma-victory-tracksuit-top.jpg

Don't know... you would need to take into consideration the value of the contract and therefore how much Joma need to pay Thistle.

It's all very well saying this top is £x how can they sell it at £Y, thats a rip off, without considering they have to pay thistle to be Thistle's kit manufacturer.

any other major concerns you have Kni, i can resolve for you?

Edited by potty trained

Okay - so looking at Scott Fox on the photos on the OF it does look a little more yellow than orange but still, black, white and yellow??!!

Yup, nice polo isn't it, something different, Fred Perry inspired and carries two of the clubs three colours... who knows, maybe one similar in red will become available? :happy2:

The fact is, you can't have a complete casual range in red/yellow/black as it would detract from sales of the main kits.... folk would buy a £20 cracking design top instead of an away top at £40 etc...

what you will find is that there will be a lot more casual wear available in the clubs colours than we have had previously. But as is the nature of our forum, folk love a right good fckin moan.

infact.... here's a wee question... name the last manufacturer who gave us red/yellow/black casual/training wear.

I take your points, PT, but all we are getting is TTL's standard range with Thistle badges sewn on. Taking the campus polo shirt as an example. The standard price is £14.99 but £21.50 with the Thistle badge. For 94% polyester, that is a rip-off!

Other clubs of similar size in Scotland and England have better merchandise at cheaper prices. And btw, how much training gear did Greaves sell at full price? The huge range, in most sizes, that was discounted suggests not a lot.

Edited by kni

I take your points, PT, but all we are getting is TTL's standard range with Thistle badges sewn on. Taking the campus polo shirt as an example. The standard price is £14.99 but £21.50 with the Thistle badge. For 94% polyester, that is a rip-off!

Other clubs of similar size in Scotland and England have better merchandise at cheaper prices. And btw, how much training gear did Greaves sell at full price? The huge range, in most sizes, that was discounted suggests not a lot.

So, a £6 mark up? Say it's around £10 mark up for a badged top... how many do you think at £10 profit, do you think Joma will need to sell to cover the contract?

Ok, so as you admit that Puma's range didn't sell a lot... so going on Puma's sales figures, you would imagine that Joma will need to put a mark up on the kit to pay the Thistle contract, no? when you take into consideration that i would say the stuff Joma are selling is £5 a piece cheaper than Puma's full price, then its a better deal for fans.

The product is far better quality than "Puma", genuinly it's night n day.

Can you show me a few links to these other clubs in scotland who are of similar size to us, and have a better range of training/casual gear at cheaper prices?

The unbadged gear is available to the public... if you don't want to pay extra... just buy it unbadged, case solved.

• Like 1

Puma?

A range of red yellow and black? what year was that?

i can remember the Ian McCall era of red and white stuff.... i can remember the airdrie red white n black or Black n Grey stuff, but if you are telling me that we had a season of gear that was red yellow black and everyone loved the range, i must have missed that season and the credit it got on here.

yes there was a top here n there, but we didn't run a range of kit that was red/yellow/black.

^ There will be decent margins reflected in the standard prices before the Thistle mark-up is added. The gear will probably sit in the warehouse with Thistle badges added when the orders are received. There is very little value added - just the badges and the online shop. On a £21 top, the profit should be at least £12 - 15.

Btw, PT, do you have a relationship with Joma/TTL or PTFC?

A range of red yellow and black? what year was that?

i can remember the Ian McCall era of red and white stuff.... i can remember the airdrie red white n black or Black n Grey stuff, but if you are telling me that we had a season of gear that was red yellow black and everyone loved the range, i must have missed that season and the credit it got on here.

yes there was a top here n there, but we didn't run a range of kit that was red/yellow/black.

I have in my possession: a red, yellow and black cotton t shirt made by Puma and sold by Geeaves two years ago - with Thistle badge; two Thistle cotton T shirts, one in Red with yellow writing, the other yellow in red writing, both with the slogan 'The Jags 1876', both made by Puma and also purchased from Greaves 2 years ago.

Puma did manage to pump out some merchandise in dedicated Thistle colours, so you did apparently miss that season.

^ There will be decent margins reflected in the standard prices before the Thistle mark-up is added. The gear will probably sit in the warehouse with Thistle badges added when the orders are received. There is very little value added - just the badges and the online shop. On a £21 top, the profit should be at least £12 - 15.

Btw, PT, do you have a relationship with Joma/TTL or PTFC?

Kni,

You aren't answering my question... of course there is decent margin in standard price. but not enough to pay the Thistle Contract, i'm sure you must agree with that.

TTL will have estimated sales figures and looked at the lowest possible price they can sell at, that will give them their standard, existing profit... and pay the Thistle contract. As i said, their kit is around £5 cheaper for the equivilant range Puma had out. So, you can buy better quality product at cheaper prices than previously.

to answer your last question, of sorts... i was approached by Thistle to represent Thistle and the fans. and meet with TTL/Joma to discuss the range for this season, offer my advice around existing lines they were ready to run and provide additional lines of products based on the range available to TTL from Joma that i believe will be popular.

Please dont take that as i'm going to sit here and defend Joma for the next 12 months at every turn. if folk have a valid complaint then i probably would agree with it, and Joma are probably aware of it as i have given them lots of feedback already before the launch. Please don't take that as i'm some sort of "go to guy" where every inane PM or thread requires me to answer in 2 hours turn around or folk start moaning, i'm not that guy!

I just have a passion for Terrace Culture fashion. :D

I have in my possession: a red, yellow and black cotton t shirt made by Puma and sold by Geeaves two years ago - with Thistle badge; two Thistle cotton T shirts, one in Red with yellow writing, the other yellow in red writing, both with the slogan 'The Jags 1876', both made by Puma and also purchased from Greaves 2 years ago.

Puma did manage to pump out some merchandise in dedicated Thistle colours, so you did apparently miss that season.

You are completely missing my point and i've already said they had the odd tshirt and top here and there, i agree with that. but to infer they ran a full range of red/yellow/black casual/trainuing wear is inaccurate. maybe i misunderstand, but thats how you came across.

Yes, I did miss your point...I can be a right **** at times so apologies. For me it's just really frustrating not to have our pretty unique colours feature more prominently in our merchandise. Hopefully this will improve in time as others have said, and good luck in your future involvement with TTL/ Joma -at least there's consultation going on.

Kni,

You aren't answering my question... of course there is decent margin in standard price. but not enough to pay the Thistle Contract, i'm sure you must agree with that.

TTL will have estimated sales figures and looked at the lowest possible price they can sell at, that will give them their standard, existing profit... and pay the Thistle contract. As i said, their kit is around £5 cheaper for the equivilant range Puma had out. So, you can buy better quality product at cheaper prices than previously.

to answer your last question, of sorts... i was approached by Thistle to represent Thistle and the fans. and meet with TTL/Joma to discuss the range for this season, offer my advice around existing lines they were ready to run and provide additional lines of products based on the range available to TTL from Joma that i believe will be popular.

Please dont take that as i'm going to sit here and defend Joma for the next 12 months at every turn. if folk have a valid complaint then i probably would agree with it, and Joma are probably aware of it as i have given them lots of feedback already before the launch. Please don't take that as i'm some sort of "go to guy" where every inane PM or thread requires me to answer in 2 hours turn around or folk start moaning, i'm not that guy!

I just have a passion for Terrace Culture fashion. :D

I don't know how much PTFC is receiving from the deal. Profitability will also depend upon the sales forecasts (units and prices) that are reflected in the deal.

As I said above, the merchandise that is currently on sale is just the standard range with Thistle badges added. The financial risk is therefore lower than Greaves/Puma who had a lot of PTFC specific stock. TTL should therefore have lower warehousing costs than Greaves/Puma.

Greaves also had to make a retail profit to cover the costs of their shops too. In the retail trade, the high street shops, take the biggest margin. So TTL/Joma should making a bigger margin than Greaves/Puma even with lower retail prices.

Thanks for declaring your involvement. Did the club/TTL undertake market research into what the fans wanted or just accept your advice?