*the* Most Influential Players This Season

Dark Passenger

The debate about who should lift the trophy has given rise to this topic. I've seen someone say that this this team is greater than the sum of its parts, which I'd agree with to a huge extent, but wondered who people would label as the players most instrumental in our success.

I guess it's purely subjective, although factors such as appearance/win ratios would come into play for those who are in to that sort of thing. But I'd go for:

Scott Fox

Aaron Muirhead

Conrad Balatoni

Stuart Bannigan

Sean Welsh

Stevie Lawless

Chris Erskine

Edited by Dark Passenger

Hugh Murray.

Played in the opening third of the season with Paton beside him who had never played that role before. Both doing defensive midfield work.

Not just an influence on Paton, i'd say he has been a massive influence on the dressing room. with such a young squad it must have been invaluable to call on someone who has twice won the first division and once the challenge cup.

Paton.

When he's been injured/suspended we stop scoring freely.

Games he's missed include Pars Cup tie (0-1)

Two goalless draws against Raith, matches v Q o S & Airdrie (119 mins & 89 mins without scoring).

Paton has played a part in any game where we've scored three or more goals.

When he's anchored in midfield the likes of Forbes, Welsh & Bannigan can be more creative and in turn Lawless & Erskine get into better scoring opportunities far more often. In fact I don't recall either scoring when Paton hasn't been on the pitch*

* maybe someone can confirm

When he's anchored in midfield the likes of Forbes, Welsh & Bannigan can be more creative and in turn Lawless & Erskine get into better scoring opportunities far more often. In fact I don't recall either scoring when Paton hasn't been on the pitch*

* maybe someone can confirm

Lawless scored a double against Dumbarton.

Hugh Murray.

Played in the opening third of the season with Paton beside him who had never played that role before. Both doing defensive midfield work.

Not just an influence on Paton, i'd say he has been a massive influence on the dressing room. with such a young squad it must have been invaluable to call on someone who has twice won the first division and once the challenge cup.

You've always liked a wind-up, Dave.

• Like 1

I'd be split between Fox and Paton. We saw how important Foxy is when we had that dumpling Smith in goals - had he not injured himself, I think we would have had the league tied up before now. We've missed Paton in the middle of the park and it's no coincidence that his absence has coincided with us hardly competing for second balls.

We've obviously got Erskine too who, when he is in the mood can win a game almost on his tod, but based on consistency, I'd go for the two mentioned above.

Hugh Murray.

if i didnt know you better......

Not the most influential obviously but I'd say Forbes has been a huge influence when it's come to turning draws into wins in certain games.

Assist for Sinclair relatively late on when 0-0 against Livi, assist for Balatoni just before half time at Hamilton in terrible conditions, assist for Balatoni in the 5-1 game when it was 1-1, assist for Balatoni against Cowden when we won 2-1, two assists for Balatoni against Falkirk in the 4-1 game when we were on a terrible run of form around Christmas. There's more.

Forbes and Erskine are the main two players in the league for getting goals out of nothing, and I think that's a big reason why we'll win the league.

Stevie Craig is surely worth a mention. He's scored some truly massive goals for us this season and he's the sort of striker we've been crying out for for years but people like McCall could never find. I reckon his late signing could prove to be what has made the difference in the title race, he offers us more than Doolan can imo. But it's impossible to pick an individual from the team, just about every one of them has been exceptional.

Good points, he certainly influences our performances, but has he had much of an influence on results? We've coped very well without him. I'd name Welsh, Erskine and Fox ahead of him personally, when they've not been in the team we've struggled more than losing anyone else, except arguably O'Donnell but that was because we had to shuffle our whole team around to compensate.

I'd be split between Fox and Paton. We saw how important Foxy is when we had that dumpling Smith in goals - had he not injured himself, I think we would have had the league tied up before now. We've missed Paton in the middle of the park and it's no coincidence that his absence has coincided with us hardly competing for second balls.

We've obviously got Erskine too who, when he is in the mood can win a game almost on his tod, but based on consistency, I'd go for the two mentioned above.

agree with most of what you say although I would add in balatoni especially at the run in.is it not fantastic that it so difficult to choose. what a season, what a team.however I do think you are being a bit harsh on smith.sure, he had a nightmare start at Hamilton but he was reasonably solid thereafter.