Four Points For An Away Victory?

Jaggernaut

Was thinking about this recently when we'd been having problems breaking down defences that just lined up two or three ranks of players in their own half.

What about awarding the following points:

1 point for a draw (home or away)

3 points for a home win

4 points for an away win?

Or:

1 point for a 0-0 draw

2 points for a scoring draw

3 points for a home win

Was thinking about this recently when we'd been having problems breaking down defences that just lined up two or three ranks of players in their own half.

What about awarding the following points:

1 point for a draw (home or away)

3 points for a home win

Or:

1 point for a 0-0 draw

2 points for a scoring draw

3 points for a home win

Just means teams like Man U etc will have league's won by early March imho !

I think it would be just sensible keep it as it is, but if any revision to the points systems is needed, I would suggest that 0-0 draw would not get any points:

Win : 3 points

Draw x-x : 1 point each

Draw 0-0 : 0 points

Loss : 0 points

This would stop teams playing boring time killing matches.

Nae points each for a no-score draw; a point each for a score draw; three points for a home win; four points for an away win.

= same as a defeat?

-1 point for losing away from home; -2 points for losing at home.......

This could improve people's arithmetic more than any government-sponsored educational initiatives.

What is wrong with the current system that this proposal remedies? Not much in my opinion.

There will always be teams playing for low scoring games especially when up against one of the top teams in the league. How would playing more open attacking football help teams like Airdrie when they don't have the ability to match us in that respect? They tried and lost 7-0. They played more defensively after that and they got points from us then came close to beating us recently. The same happens at the highest level, when Man Utd play teams in the bottom half that try to attack, they usually run up cricket scores, but the ones who sit in tend to keep it close.

Next season we'll find that by playing our current style we'll get beaten by a few on a few occasions.

Any system that awards more points to a score draw than to a goalless draw runs the risk of games being fixed.

totally disagree with no points for a 0-0 draw, sometimes games just work out that way, thats's football. Did us & Raith deserve 0 points from our recent games?

Why not two points each for a draw? The no points for no goals scenario means teams have to work harder. (In theory.) I can't argue with your point that there have been excellent no-score draws, but I've watched Thistle play stellar football and lose.

Points for goals.

An extra point for scoring 4 goals (similar to rugby), or winning by 4 goals could be an option. Apart from that the current system is fine.

Only thing I'd change is if the ball hits the post/crossbar & goes out of play without anyone else touching it the team who's taken the shot should get a corner/throw-in.

An extra point for scoring 4 goals (similar to rugby), or winning by 4 goals could be an option. Apart from that the current system is fine.

Only thing I'd change is if the ball hits the post/crossbar & goes out of play without anyone else touching it the team who's taken the shot should get a corner/throw-in.

Definitely. Keeps the momentum going with the attacking team, and no need to wonder who touched the ball last.

Nothing to do with points but one thing that annoys me about time wasting.

Example Team A (let's for sake of a name call them Airdrie) go a goal up and for the following 54 mins indulge in time wasting. However Team B (let's for sake of a name call them Thistle) then score two goals. Why should the referee punish Team B by playing additional time caused by Team A's earlier time wasting?

In my life-time (and I suspect that of more than a few on this forum), football formations have gone from 5 up front in the WM formation, to 0 up front in the so-called false 9.

Fans want to see goals, coaches and managers want to see no goals conceded.

I'd go further and award a bonus point to any team that scores a goal, win, lose or draw.

totally disagree with no points for a 0-0 draw, sometimes games just work out that way, thats's football. Did us & Raith deserve 0 points from our recent games?

We didn't, I can't say the same for Rovers though. They had absolutely nothing to fear, yet still wasted time and played deep throughout the entire 2nd half. It's supposed to be entertainment.

You should also get more points if you win by more than four goals.

So five points if you win 5-0, 6 points if you win 6-0, and 7 points if you win 7-0. But if you get those scores away from home, you get an additional point. Six points for a 5-0 win, seven points for a 6-0 win and eight points for a 7-0 win.

A simple system that would make Scottish football much more enjoyable.

You'd be naive to think that a point for a no-score draw doesn't already run that risk.

True, but a system that awards one more point for a score draw than a goalless one could encourage teams to give each other a goal nearer the start, effectively making the game start at 1-1 instead of 0-0. Currently, it will be very rare that a draw will be so good for both teams that neither team will bother.

You should also get more points if you win by more than four goals.

So five points if you win 5-0, 6 points if you win 6-0, and 7 points if you win 7-0. But if you get those scores away from home, you get an additional point. Six points for a 5-0 win, seven points for a 6-0 win and eight points for a 7-0 win.

A simple system that would make Scottish football much more enjoyable.

Why don't we just decide leagues on goal difference?