Cairney

twinny

Mystery condition floors Partick Thistle ace Paul Cairney

Apr 27 2010 By Fraser Wilson

PARTICK THISTLE star Paul Cairney's season has been ended prematurely by a mystery condition which has left the midfielder shattered.

Cairney, one of the success stories in a largely forgettable season at Firhill, is waiting on the results of tests after suffering from a severe lack of energy in training recently.

The 22-year-old never made the squad for the weekend trip to Ross County and he will again be missing for the season-ending home meeting with Queen of the South on Saturday.

The news is a blow to Thistle although, with the season almost over, the player's attention will already be turned to getting fit for the start of pre-season training.

Cairney has impressed in his his first full season with Thistle. His energetic central midfield performances, from where he has notched eight goals, have won rave reviews from both manager Ian McCall and the Firhill faithful and he is sure to be a key figure in next season's squad.

McCall said: "Paul is an honest boy and told us that he wasn't feeling right a few weeks back.

"He has been for tests and the medics have whittled it down to a couple of things which will be manageable through medication.

"We don't think it will be too serious and he should be fine for the start of pre-season."

Meanwhile boss McCall has praised young striker Kieran Burns for his performance at Ross County on Saturday.

Burns replaced Kris Doolan with 30 minutes remaining at Victoria Park and unsettled the home rearguard.

The 18-year-old passed up a couple of good opportunities to net but McCall said: "Kieran looked really sharp when he came on and he is the least of my worries in terms of missed chances."

Hope it's nothing too serious and just a virus that will go away soon.

Admin, I wasn't sure if this should go in the Jags in the Media subforum, but as it concerns a first team player I put it in the main forum.

Edited by twinny

I wonder if it's in some way linked to the foot injury he got at the end of February? He was said to be out for about a month and came back really quickly. I'm no doctor (understatement supreme) but it strikes me if you've got a soft tissue injury then it might be more problematic coming back early as it might aggravate it...

Memory's bad but was Cairney not one of the lads that played in the win at Inverness and was really quite ill? I did hear he took a good while recovering full fitness back then. Some folk can shrug off illness quickly others are not so lucky. Maybe Paul's the latter?

Yes, he came off spewing up IIRC, John Robertson was also suffering badly that day and took a long time to recover...infact we only really saw Robbo return to form about a month/6 weeks ago and I think that was due to him not being 100% fit.