New South Stand Development

joekea

We should use some of our new wealth to finance the project (we have the credit rating to do so) over say five years and start thinking positively about our future in the longer term. Building a housing complex is not the answer ..I want my grandchildren and future generations to support the team in a decent stadium with a decent team on the park.

We should use some of our new wealth to finance the project (we have the credit rating to do so) over say five years and start thinking positively about our future in the longer term. Building a housing complex is not the answer ..I want my grandchildren and future generations to support the team in a decent stadium with a decent team on the park.

Campbell+GTF!!!+023.jpg

A far more appealing prospect would be to reinstate the terracing when the green light for standing areas in grounds goes ahead.

• Like 1

A new stand:

1) Costs capital, which we still don't really have

2) Costs revenue to maintain

No thanks. The only circumstances in which we develop it with any major expenditure is if our fanbase begins regularly to exceed 8k or there is a way to a) clear our debt by a varied use and/or b ) extract a regular form of net revenue from it.

Edited by Woodstock Jag

The safe standing area would be a covered enclosure (hopefully) and would greatly add to the atmosphere of what is essentially a terrific wee stadium in the making. I have a feeling that we are going to be in this league for a long time to come!

Makes me weep seeing that and comparing it what we have now - spectacular incompetence.

Its funny how the club are now selling the failed project (with planning permission) which from investigation was never rejected in by planning the first place!

• 3 years later...

I was having a quick read of the (www.footballgroundguide.com/scotland/partick_thistle.html) for Thistle today, the following section was included under future developments - "Barry Buttigieg informs me; 'The Club have resurfaced plans to re-develop the South End of the stadium. This would include a 450 all seater stand, plus residential and office accommodation. Planning permission for the scheme was applied for by the Club in late 2014."

With the opening of the Safe Standing area at Parkhead - could the club not look at changing this 450 seater stand into something like a substantial terrace arrangement.

Anyone know of any of development plans for the ground?

Think this was the last I heard about a fourth stand

Proposals have been submitted to build a fourth stand at Partick Thistle’s Firhill Stadium.

An application submitted to Glasgow City Council reveals plans to redevelop the South Stand, adding almost 5% to the total capacity of Firhill.

The scheme proposes building a new 450-seater stand, 79 residential flats, 620m2 football club facilities, 2760m2 of office space and 430m2 of retail space.

The 79 residential flats would be a mixture of private apartments and social housing, with a provision for special needs housing for the local housing association.

The proposals are identical to an application that received planning consent in June 2010.

Tim Clark of ZM Architecture, which is handling the application, said: “The timescale for concluding the original consent has now ceased and our client wishes to resubmit the original application as they still have intentions to develop the site, which was interrupted by the downturn in the financial market in the intervening years.”

w704.jpgvia www.worldstadiums.com

The current capacity of Firhill Stadium is 10,102 seats. The Main Stand was built in 1927. Directly across from it is the Jackie Husband Stand, built in 1994.

Eight years later, in 2002, the North Stand was built.

Plans have been afoot to build a fourth stand at the stadium since at least 2005.

Partick Thistle was unavailable for comment at time of publication.

• Like 1

Thank you Lady-Isobel-Barnett, I am unsure if the cost implications do not afford for a more 'substantial solution. The capacity for the all seater in the application (which appears to exist and appears to have been submitted) would mean you can have almost 810 standing fans. Using the green guide, it specifies a ratio of 18 standing fans for every 10 spectators in seats. if this stand was increased to say a 560 seated capacity this is now 1008 home fans in this section.

A discounted ticket should be offered for both North and South ends of the ground and this could simply be a decrease of the Adult admission price down to 12 - that is an extra 12,000 which is not currently available.

Everyone seems to be ignoring the fact that our attendances in the last 30 years have very rarely exceed even 5,000. The stadium as it is just now is 70% empty most weeks.

The justification for spending money on a new stand seems to be "to make the place look a bit better". But in reality, there can be absolutely no justification for building a stand just so it can sit empty every week.

We are stuck with the stadium as it is unless we upsticks and move somewhere else. That's the reality.

• Like 1

Everyone seems to be ignoring the fact that our attendances in the last 30 years have very rarely exceed even 5,000. The stadium as it is just now is 70% empty most weeks.

The justification for spending money on a new stand seems to be "to make the place look a bit better". But in reality, there can be absolutely no justification for building a stand just so it can sit empty every week.

We are stuck with the stadium as it is unless we upsticks and move somewhere else. That's the reality.

I agree with this. As much as I would love a terrace or safe standing area, It would only offer a cheaper ticket option without increasing attendance.

I suppose though if the land is being used for housing then having any seats/terrace is preferable to having none.

unfortunately, what mr mac says about our attendances over last thirty years and the seventy per cent empty for most games, is correctly the unfortunate reality of the situation. even when the green arsecheek comes visiting (or, when the five year old zombie blue arsecheek finally does visit), we can't fill the ground.

at same time, don't think there is one single jags fan who looks at the city end (or the bing as it is affectionately known as to some, gnome heaven to others), or indeed any visiting opposition fan, and enthusiastically thinks "that looks great, makes the stadium look so much better" (and "wish we had something like that at our stadium" if they're a visitor).

so while we can't justify building a stand with seats or a terracing at the city end solely for the sake of "to make the place look a bit better", how about this ..... the club erects a hoarding the length of the city end, height of ns, and gets the guy who did the mural walking up to the jhs, to paint a stand jam packed with thistle fans ..... or contact art college, get them to take it on as a project for their students ..... if it gets in way of the view of advertising scaffold, just extend its height ..... the club could even make some money from it, by getting actual supporters to pay (for example) twenty five pounds each to have their mugshots painted on it, cover it with a decent coating, and it will last for decades :happy2::fan:

I agree with this. As much as I would love a terrace or safe standing area, It would only offer a cheaper ticket option without increasing attendance.

i'd love us to rip out the seats in the ns, turn it into a traditional old school terracing ..... now maxi is on the inside, he can push for this and make it happen i'm sure ;) ..... and if uefa refuse us to use firhill because of the terracing, in champions league in five years from now, we can just do a spurs and have our euro home games at hampden ..... or offer ten bob and a carry out to either of the arsecheeks for rent of their gaffs since they won't be using them on these nights :lol::P

I confess, I rarely can afford to make it to a Thistle home game, I cannot spend 22 quid every week to watch them play. I also do not have the income to buy a season ticket even though in the long run I know it is cheaper - my first game back was against St Johnstone - it was different to my previous home game experiences (not because we lost).

There is conversation on here and other threads about us losing ground with other sports and our attendance not being up the scratch. Well a cheaper ticket of 12 pounds gives people who might not be able to come every week that option to now get out and go to a live football match. If thistle could offer the chance to watch a live sporting occasion cheaper than rival codes then more fans would come.

unfortunately, what mr mac says about our attendances over last thirty years and the seventy per cent empty for most games, is correctly the unfortunate reality of the situation. even when the green arsecheek comes visiting (or, when the five year old zombie blue arsecheek finally does visit), we can't fill the ground.

at same time, don't think there is one single jags fan who looks at the city end (or the bing as it is affectionately known as to some, gnome heaven to others), or indeed any visiting opposition fan, and enthusiastically thinks "that looks great, makes the stadium look so much better" (and "wish we had something like that at our stadium" if they're a visitor).

so while we can't justify building a stand with seats or a terracing at the city end solely for the sake of "to make the place look a bit better", how about this ..... the club erects a hoarding the length of the city end, height of ns, and gets the guy who did the mural walking up to the jhs, to paint a stand jam packed with thistle fans ..... or contact art college, get them to take it on as a project for their students ..... if it gets in way of the view of advertising scaffold, just extend its height ..... the club could even make some money from it, by getting actual supporters to pay (for example) twenty five pounds each to have their mugshots painted on it, cover it with a decent coating, and it will last for decades :happy2::fan:

The club is developing that end of the ground and increasing the capacity of the ground (if planning permission application is to be believed) whilst it is by only 500 spectators. I am saying that in the same space they turn this into safe standing rather than putting in seats. the maintenance cost to maintain them is cheaper and the option for a cheaper ticket is there to attract the lower income earner to a live football match.

In terms of priority I can't see the Club diverting serious money towards any such development. But just for sake of argument we went ahead with a South Stand I'm not too sure there'd be sufficient elevation to attract North Standees to a safe standing area.

Every game I see elderly and less abled fans struggling up the slope to the JHS. There must come a time when many of them, often most the loyal of fans, simply won't manage along. Again if we could offer sufficient elevation I'd have thought a small purpose built stand catering for elderly, disabled and perhaps family (parent with younger children) would be a welcome addition to the stadium. Ideally tie in the Aitken Suite, which is already kid friendly and nearby in some way.

eta I know nothing about grants etc but perhaps there's some public money available if you're introducing disabled facilities?

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 1