Just In V Dumbarton

Camallain

Well that was unconvincing! Painfully slow out of the blocks in both halves and we paid the penalty conceding early goals each time. The defending was worryingly poor at times, and yes I know it’s a pre season friendly but we should be better than that. In the first half once we had finally started to play we totally dominated and could easily have run in six or seven goals such was our superiority however good goal keeping and poor finishing kept the score line at 3-1 at the half time whistle.

I don’t know if the number of second half substitutions had a disruptive effect but we never really got going after the break however we did get a spectacular 25 yard goal from trialist No.8 and Ross Forbes struck the crossbar with a 30 yard lob which really did deserve to be a goal. The last twenty minutes or so we simply didn’t create much at all.

As I said, unconvincing but for that period of about 30 minutes in the first half we did look excellent.

One final word on the referee…………………he was appalling :-(

Agree. Thought very sloppy at times.

Also, McMillan doesn't look like he could play left back against serious opposition, completely one footed. We need left back cover for Sinclair. Baird was busy but didn't look like scoring except one first half chance when he should have done better with his header.

I guess we'll see when the manager starts to hone towards a starting 11.

A decent game for a friendly.

Despite the close score their looked a large gulf in class between us and them.

IMO the No6 trialist and Kerr played well.

Baird hardly got involved.

We need another striker.

Was the trialist defender the same one as the Annan game?

It would appear that Kerr will be signing so good to see he played well. Agree about another striker.

I thought Forbes and Welsh did very well in midfield, and Kerr impressed me too (I thought his goal was a wonderful strike, although another fan said afterwards that it had been deflected). Lawless was his usual tricky self; if we can hang on to him for a while longer then I reckon we have a chance of doing okay in the SPL.

I wasn't sure what to make of the big No.6 trialist. He looks like he could be a decent stopper, but a footballer he ain't.

Oh, and who was that referee? He was terrible! His nadir had to be awarding a corner to Dumbarton after a long range shot flew clearly over the bar with no Thistle player anywhere near it.

That's good news. I reckon we also need a centre-half, a left-back, a winger and a good centre-forward.

Agree, albeit would try to sign a centre back who can also play at left back (or vice versa) rather than two players. Kerr replacing Paton in midfield is decent, creative attacking midfielder and another striker definitely required.

• Like 1

Agree, albeit would try to sign a centre back who can also play at left back (or vice versa) rather than two players. Kerr replacing Paton in midfield is decent, creative attacking midfielder and another striker definitely required.

I agree. Will Haining, who was rumoured on here to have been linked with a move, could fit the bill.

Will Haining hasn't been linked with us. Someone thought he *might* have played as a trialist down south, but it doesn't appear to have been him.

Fine, but to be fair I did say 'rumoured on here to have been linked'. In other words, it was forum gossip possibly stemming from someone putting two and two together and making five.

I still think he might fit the bill though.

Edited by Guy Incognito
  • Like 1

thistletweet says that Archie expects more trialists to come in. We've only got 2 games left.

I thought the No6 trialist did OK. Anyone know who he was?

There's no way that a game next weekend would be our last before the opening game on 3rd August.

Wrong thread but dare I suggest lack of communication from certain areas inside the club?

There's no way that a game next weekend would be our last before the opening game on 3rd August.

Wrong thread but dare I suggest lack of communication from certain areas inside the club?

Or the other club hasn't signed the contract yet committing to the friendly?

It could be the other clubs fault rather than our own....

After the wee blip costing their goal, we totally dominated the first half. I was very encouraged by how much movement and willingness their was to go forward. Ross Forbes was a stand out and I also really liked the constant threat of Baird, who never gave their defense a moment's rest. In fact, they did seem at a loss to stop us coming forward and we should have been several up by the interval.

The second half was a bit scrappy with all the substitutions upsetting the rhythm a bit. We made a few defensive mistakes, which caused them to get back into the game. A bit worrying and I remain unconvinced by our no.6, but do think we should be signing Mark Kerr.

Lost a couple of sloppy goals but otherwise always in control and should have scored another couple whilst dominating last 20 minutes of first half.

Lawless was a stand out. For those looking for a replacement for Erskine (which would be very difficult), I suggest you look at the wee man. Let's hope we can hold on to him.

James 'Jimmy' Craigen also played well for the most part, and could be a very important player for us this season.

Didn't know what to make of the trialist centre back. Looks very composed and made some good challenges but could be susceptible to the odd clanger. Dunno, would need to see him again. One thing is for sure, we need someone in there for cover.

Thought Lawless was outstanding, if he keeps that up we will struggle to hold onto him, especially if Willem II are still sniffing around. Baird, failed to impress me as a out and out goalscorer, however, his effort and work rate are up their with Doolans, also had a hand in a goal or two. Forbes looked sharp (cant believe im writing this) and the 70 yards he made up to score his goal was matched as he ran 70 yards back to defend. as for the defence i thought McMillan and Sinclair both struggled today, O'Donnell looked good and back to his usual threat, Muirhead had a few dodgy moments, Balatoni jumped in too quickly 2 or 3 times... the #6 looked okay (I heard foxy call him Kyle), could maybe do a job, but there has to be better options available... Mark Kerr had spells where he was fantastic, his goal and spreading the ball was great, defensively, not as apt as Paton, which may have caused our defence to come rushing out rather than sit...

James Craigen played well without being exceptional, Elliot didnt do much when he came on, Hugh Murray didnt get enough time, Foxy had no chance with any of the 3 goals,

All said and done, it was a friendly, we looked good going forward however defensively shaky. First 10 mins of each half was terrible, everyone just wanted far too much time on the ball, and nobody running to give options.

overall a 10er well spent - 7 goals, a look at how the squads shaping up, and a wee day out!

Also, McMillan doesn't look like he could play left back against serious opposition, completely one footed. We need left back cover for Sinclair.

Disagree with that, Mr B. Been watching right sided guys playing left back for more years than I care to mind. Don't think McMillan faired too badly. As long as he can tackle with his left foot (unlike a Mr P now up in Tayside) he'll be OK. I think we're looking to go with Sinclair with McMillan, Bannigan and whoever plays under 20 as back ups. I don't think Archie will hesitate to sign a left sided centreback who can't cover as a fullback.

I thought the No6 trialist did OK. Anyone know who he was?

No idea tho' I thought he was maybe the Czech guy mentioned earlier in the week. Giving a guy a one hour trial on a playing surface like that and trying to draw a conclusion is stretching things. If you hadn't seen Muirhead before you wouldn't be rushing out to sign him on his display over the first sixty minutes today. The big no 6 had to play on a crap surface with guys all immediately around him making error after error. Yeh I thought he did OK but I don't know how anyone could say one way or another whether he'd be worth signing. Surely deserves a chance on a decent surface.

Fine, but to be fair I did say 'rumoured on here to have been linked'. In other words, it was forum gossip possibly stemming from someone putting two and two together and making five.

I'd say rumoured was far too strong a word. Why would a guy like Haining, who reportedly has no fitness worries, have to prove himself to us by playing as a trialist?

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Agree with most of what has been said. Lawless definitely best player on the park. We were far less threatening when he came off. Forbes, Kerr and SOD all had good games with Craigen and Welsh good in spells. Thought Muirhead had a pretty poor game by his standards and Sinclair also struggled to get going. You can clearly tell that players are understandably holding back in some tackles so perhaps wrong to judge too harshly. First time seeing Baird. Had some nice wee flicks here and there with an excellent work rate but some of his shots were woeful. Hopefully he will pick up.