Just In Dundee Utd

Dug1e

Everything's really been said but one huge positive I took from last night was that was effectively our team from last season. Just the one change and Paton won't be missed with Fraser (or of course Osbourne) in his role.

I'm sure a lot of us deep down thought we'd have to add quality.just to survive. If last night is anything to go by, and there's no real reason to believe otherwise, our players retained from last season ALL have that necessary quality. That just means that the new untried guys have only to offer strength in depth. I'm very confident they'll do a lot more than just that. Looking forward to seeing just what the likes of Gabriel, Osbourne, Mukendi have to offer.

Just watched the game again having sky+ it last night. Got to say im pretty pleased with that performance. If we play like this during the season we wont even be in the relegation fight come May next year.

Surprised Archie stuck with last seasons squad with no place for either Osbourne or Kerr so it looks like most of the new guys are going to be fighting for a place each week which cant be a bad thing. Thought the boy frazer looks like a good wee player and yet again that back 4 kept up there great form and didnt lose a goal, though there were a few shaky moments.

Unfortunate not to get at least one penalty and butcher couldve had a straight red for either of his challanges!

Overall good start to the season against a team that should be top 6 come the end of the season. Great Thistle support aswell - Firhill actually looks not too bad on the TV and you could here us throughout the match.

If Butcher had got sent off the score could likely have still been the same as they'd just have defended the game out. And if he was off the park we wouldn't have had that penalty claim a bit later. Listening to the radio on way back up road and the general opinion was that altho' a draw was a fair enough result on performance, we were hard done by Thomson re those two incidents. For once I agree with that lot.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

I'm looking forward to getting back to Aberdeen tonight and watching the whole game again...how often can you say that about a 0-0 game?

Loved it last night and looking forward to Tuesday where I think Ayr will get properly stuffed if we play as well as we did last night.

Archie, you're a legend mate....keep up the good work.

Mon the Jags.

St Mirren and Killie will surely be down the bottom of the league all season so a win for Aberdeen and ICT today would be ideal.

Be careful what you wish for. Last October I was chuffed to bits Morton were winning by two goals away to Dunfermline and a bit miffed when the Pars came back to earn a draw. ICT have made a lot of unknown signings. Maybe they'll struggle?

St Mirren have a pretty decent team when you look at their starting 11 today, plenty of experience and could surprise some. Although it's surely only a matter of time before their finally relegated. Not much confidence in Lennon.

Can see us finishing above the Edinburgh teams, Killie and possibly St Mirren. If we had that quality striker. I'd be saying we could be top 6.

Be careful what you wish for. Last October I was chuffed to bits Morton were winning by two goals away to Dunfermline and a bit miffed when the Pars came back to earn a draw. ICT have made a lot of unknown signings. Maybe they'll struggle?

3-0 ICT.

I hope that's good.....

Thought it was a great advert for Scottish football last night and I imagine BT will be pleased with their game choice.

When the line-up was announced, I was concerned that we were a little bit lightweight in midfield and had worries over the fitness of both Welsh and Bannigan; I thought Osbourne was a certainty to start considering he had completed most of his pre-season with Blackpool. I was also surprised at the omission of Forbes as I suspected United would carry the same set-piece frailty that we had under McNamara. However, I needn't have worried at all.

I thought we were excellent throughout the whole game, particularly in the first half where we moved the ball about really well. The fitness levels were tremendous and they needed to be as United were very quick on the counter. Having watched the game again, we could have had three penalties, should have had two and should have been playing against 10 men; hopefully the BT Vision deal will help highlight how terribly inept refereeing is in Scotland. The assistant referees were completely and utterly useless and contributed no value whatsoever to the game. The far side linesman failed to notice a United defender blatantly head the ball out for a corner and withered under Thomson's initial decision. The nearside linesman could clearly see the Butcher-Fraser incident and didn't even call Thomson over to give him his view of what happened - again, totally spineless. Not only did Butcher go over the ball which, in itself, could have been a red card, he raised his hands and initiated a melee - it was a sending off all day long, in my opinion, and the linesman was in perfect view to see this. Then Thomson took centre stage again, failing somehow to see a two-footed lunge from Butcher on Bannigan, despite looking straight at it, which was a clear red card and a blatant penalty; Bannigan was lucky that he got out of the way because it could have been a leg-breaker otherwise.

Fraser was my Man of the Match; for a boy who has hardly played first-team football and is only just 19, he was an absolute standout. He seems a bit keen to play the Hollywood pass at times when he might be better with a simpler option but he does have the passing range to execute it on occasions - one long, diagonal pass in the first half was perfectly weighted for Sinclair to run onto. Very encouraging performance.

Closely behind Fraser was Muirhead who dealt with Goodwillie admirably; he won't come up against players as good as him every week. He was dominant in the air, quick on the ground and used the ball well although he did get caught once or twice with loose passes. That performance will put to bed some of the ridiculous suggestions that this Mexican boy should partner Conrad - complete nonsense. We should enjoy him for this season because I'm certain he'll be moving onto much bigger things next year.

We left Conrad one-on-one with Goodwillie on too many occasions and were lucky that it didn't cost us. Goodwillie started playing on Conrad's shoulder for the last 20 minutes or so; he did well to keep up with him but he was turning him inside out and, if he wasn't so greedy, could have set up a goal or two. Our formation was the reason this happened and I reckon it'll continue to happen. Because we rely on our full-backs for width, there will always be space available in the channels and the better players who we are up against will be able to put the ball in these areas far more effectively than those in the First Division.

Sinclair played well and his athleticism is well-suited to the Premier. One thing that bugged me though, particularly in the second half, he cut inside often when he had an option up the line - he doesn't have a right foot so it invariably results in a horizontal pass across the pitch and narrows the attack. United's left back, Robertson, put Sinclair's crossing to shame on more than one occasion.

Lawless was excellent in the first half but faded quite badly in the second. He floated into some excellent positions and his craft will be invaluable this season. Craigen faded in and out of the game as he often does - when he was in it, he was nicking the ball from Paton and using it well; when he was out of it, he was still working hard but was perhaps outmuscled at times. I think he's a very good player though and didn't look out of place despite playing University football only a year ago.

Doolan worked like a trojan but was kept pretty quiet. My concern is that he does a lot of his best work outside of the box which means he is arriving late and not getting on the end of crosses. He did have two good chances with headers in the first half that he would normally put away but the United keeper was in good form. Baird is a good alternative to have as he is a bit more direct. He probably should have scored at the back post but the United defender done really well to get a touch on it which I can't recall if the referee seen (probably not).

Christie could be an important player for us this season. He was a great outlet when he came on last night and, particularly in away games, his pace could be very valuable. He also went right through Paton, perfectly fairly I may add despite the theatrics.

All in all, I think a draw was a fair result but feel a little bit aggrieved after seeing the penalty incidents and Butcher's challenges again. United looked very good going forward but a little fragile at the back and surprisingly lightweight in midfield. If they can get the balance right, they could have a very good season.

Edited by Armand2
  • Like 4

I thought Welsh was outstanding particularly in the first half. Looked a class above any of the other midfielders on this display. We look very strong here with Osbourne still to come in.

Fraser looks an outstanding prospect, for a boy so young to play like he did in such a high pressure game says it all. Would not surprise me if he makes it down south. Just a shame we could not sign him permanently.

Going to be a tough decision for Archie on Saturday – do you leave Fraser in or bring in Osbourne?

Thompson had a good game with the exception of those penalty decisions and the failure to red card Butcher. The two-footed tackle in the box was a stone-waller and a straight red too.

If that aint a contradiction kni, I dont know what is!!! How can he have had a good game when he missed two deffo penalties and two deffo sending off's?

Thompson will not care one iota when he watches the highlights. it was Thistle v United. his bosses say Thistle should never win this.

seriously ever since the play off debacle I believe the powers that be have something against us

edit to add fantastic post Armand2

Edited by Dug1e

• Like 1