Ross County On Saturday

Highlandjag

Local game for me which is great as it was 1.15am before I got home after the Dundee United game. I'm feeling fairly positive about it and reckon we will get a draw and perhaps even sneak a win. The County fans are quite confident with most believing they will win and they seem pleased that Scott Boyd is available after injury. They also speak highly of their new Dutch striker Luckassen. Hope there is a big Thistle support as away fans are in the new stand (built last year) behind the goal and the atmosphere is good - can we bring 1,000 or even more? Seven of us locally based fans going along - who else is going?

I'm going, looking forward to the day out and a few beers in the Mallard probably pre match. I was just thinking it'll be good to be in the terracing behind the goal again, I forgot they built that stand. I highly doubt we'll take 1000, probably 500 ish at the most, I think even that is optimistic.

They had a superb last season and played well at Porkheid last week but I would be disappointed not to take a point, its Ross County afterall. a point would be ideal but I feel quite confident for some reason, I don't want this unbeaten league run to end up there! same team to start as last Friday night for me.

How did you know the fixture wouldn't be moved? Not a likely TV game admittedly but I'd hate to book up for a game that gets played 2 days later.

I just took the chance. It was only £15 I lost out on if it was moved and as you say it wasn't a likely TV game on the weekend Hearts play Hibs, Rangers opened their league campaign and Celtic played their annual friendly.

Team for Saturday?

................................Fox

O'Donnell.....Muirhead.....Balatoni.....Sinclair

...........Welsh.....Fraser.....Bannigan

........Lawless.....Doolan.....Higginbotham

Subs:

Gallacher

Gabriel

Osbourne

Craigen

Forbes

Elliott

Baird

A slightly more cautious approach would be to keep the same team as last week, with Bannigan/Craigen playing a more withdrawn forward role.

Team for Saturday?

................................Fox

O'Donnell.....Muirhead.....Balatoni.....Sinclair

...........Welsh.....Fraser.....Bannigan

........Lawless.....Doolan.....Higginbotham

Subs:

Gallacher

Gabriel

Osbourne

Craigen

Forbes

Elliott

Baird

A slightly more cautious approach would be to keep the same team as last week, with Bannigan/Craigen playing a more withdrawn forward role.

That is decent depth on the bench!

^ Starting a player with only one or two training sessions is a risk. I'd have Bannigan on the left with Fraser in the middle. Higginbotham could have a place on the bench. Kerr for Forbes on the bench is another option.

"He goes straight into the squad for Saturday, He’s had a full pre-season and played games, he was in Huddersfield’s plans right up until last week so he’s ready to go.”

Edit: Assuming you mean only one or two training sessions with us, then I don't see that as a risk.

Edited by ThickAsThieves

I'd keep the same team from Dundee United. From reports on here and the highlights they all played well and deserve another shot. Higginbotham is an exciting signing who will get a chance but more of the same please Archie.

On a side note I continue to be pleasantly surprised by Archie. He was always a no nonsense centre half. Started coaching. Won us promotion still playing good football. He has made some attractive signings. He is good in front of the media, assured and dignified. He is going against the stereotype Scottish hardman defender and shows that he is willing to learn all the time and play football the right way. I doubt anyone would have expected him to do so well and he needs to be saluted. It will be a long season but I'd rather stick with this philosophy than decades old punt it up the park.

• Like 7

I'd keep the same team from Dundee United. From reports on here and the highlights they all played well and deserve another shot. Higginbotham is an exciting signing who will get a chance but more of the same please Archie.

On a side note I continue to be pleasantly surprised by Archie. He was always a no nonsense centre half. Started coaching. Won us promotion still playing good football. He has made some attractive signings. He is good in front of the media, assured and dignified. He is going against the stereotype Scottish hardman defender and shows that he is willing to learn all the time and play football the right way. I doubt anyone would have expected him to do so well and he needs to be saluted. It will be a long season but I'd rather stick with this philosophy than decades old punt it up the park.

This is spot on, I was a bit sceptical when Archie got the job but he soon put me right. In today's Metro there is a 2/3 of a page interview with him, he comes across brilliantly and like you said with dignity.

Compare this to the doughball on the other page talking about taking someone on trial who apparently took his place at Celtic and forced him to move to Wolves (is this not an outright lie?) and then going on to talk about how he doesn't hold grudges and is a great guy. Anyone who needs to constantly bang on about how fair and wonderful they are is really just doing a bad job of covering that they know they're a self centred bawsack.

I think we will stick with the team that played against United for this game. Fraser played well last week and Archie will want to reward young players. Osbourne looks to be short of match fitness but expect him to come in when he is fit.

I think Higginbotham will start on the bench with him coming on sub. Craigen played okay last week, think he will improve the more games he plays at this level. He is a better defensive option that Higginbotham and I think that will keep his place. He needs to play better than last week to keep his place given we have so much competition. It’s clear that Archie rates Higginbotham very highly from his comments.

Big loss if Doolan does not make it. Both Baird and Higginbotham can play in the lone striker role but both are better just behind a striker.

We will do very well to come away with anything from his game. County are a good side who are likely top six finishers.

Fox

O'Donnell Muirhead Balatoni Taylor-Sinclair

Welsh Fraser

Lawless Bannigan Craigen

Doolan

Edited by Alan Murray

I'll take a point now. Not many will go to Dingwall and come away with a point, so that would be a point won and maybe 17 clear of Hearts.

Thickasthieves team won't be wide of the mark. Maybe Kerr on the bench for Elliott to be more cautious.

I must be one of the few who think that Ross County will struggle this season. We have seen it loads of times - the promoted team has a good 1st season and then falls back a bit. I hope this doesn't bite me on the bahooki tomorrow ! However, given that we haven't beaten them in the last 8 attempts, I would be happy with a point.