Just In - Ross County

Highlandjag

Just saw the goals on SS News. Bloody brilliant though it has to be said that it was a pretty poor turnout, supporters wise today. Still not too bothered about that. Its more important that the fans continue to fill Firhill and the coffers continue to bulge. Maybe allow us to get Stevie and Aaron signed up for another year. Surely wont be far off capacity next week if Hearts bring the reported 3000 odd through.Well done to everyone who made the effort to go through and back the team today. You were well rewarded

For most of the game, Thistle dominated. County looked like a tired rehash of typical SPL footballers - give the ball a few taps, take it forward a few feet and then punt it in the vague direction of a strapping big athlete from the same team. It's dull and is made to look even worse by a young, alert, passing side.

The fitness levels of this young side seem to be extremely high; not every side at this level could keep up so much movement. Part of it is down to really high morale and firm commitment to the team.

Top 6 by the end of the season: you saw it here first. :happy2:

Has Shaggy’s introduction of Barry Stephen been a silent masterstroke? That’s two Premiership games in a row we’ve literally ran teams off the park!

• Like 1

360 odd for Dingwall isn't really too small a travelling support considering the distances involved however the fact the buses were around £25 and match tickets £20 it's £45 day out before you spend a penny on anything else. By the time the game was confirmed as not on TV the train prices weren't ideal either and the only reason I got cheap tickets is by taking the chance on the game not being moved.

There were no failures whatsoever in that team yesterday, a fine performance and if we can continue to threaten at set pieces like that on a regular basis then I can't see Forbes getting his place back any time soon. I was really surprised Archie went with the same team as Dundee Utd, not because they weren't good on the night but because I thought we'd be far more cautious. Welsh and Fraser as a central midfield pairing seem to work very well and both of them look comfortable breaking up opposition play and getting the ball forward without any real need for a Paton type player in there with them.

The only negative of yesterday for me was Higginbotham's goal not standing. It was an excellent finish which would've rounded off both the game and a promising debut appearance from the bench. It looks like we'll give teams all sort of problems going forward with Higginbotham and Lawless running at defences and Doolan up front. Who says we need a new striker?

• Like 1

Yeah Fraser looks a real find and its just a pity Bolton nipped in, in front of us. Is he here for the full season or only till January? If its the lattter I would hope Archie will be making a telephone call to Dougie Freedman and asking if it could be extended. Forbes just needs to battle away when he gets the chances off the bench or in the cup games. Everyone knows he has a bit of skill and class and its great that we have him available from the bench

I always get in a tangle when I get involved discussing the rules and the interpretation of them but here goes. Evidently Fifa have tweaked the offside law recently. It favours the attacking side in as much as a player that previously could be deemed to be interfering with play now has to also be making a "forward motion" for the goal to be chalked off. That could explain the anomaly of the St Johnstone goal against Hearts standing and Higginbotham's goal being ruled out.

It would seem to me that the interpretation of this will be different from ref to ref much as the "denying a goal scoring opportunity" is open to varying understanding. No doubt these two incidents will be getting a bit of analysis. I imagine Hearts will be particularly interested as they might see themselves the biggest losers here. I wouldn't be surprised if that just confuses the issue and nothing is conclusive.

Btw I thought the ref was good yesterday regardless of that "goal" and wee bit inconsistency here and there.

If there were indeed fewer than 400 Jags fans, that's pretty unusual. Any reasons why our traveling support was so small for this game? A lot of folk away on holiday, maybe?

Less money available due to paying for summer holidays, kids' school clothes etc?

Oh la vita bella! The only cloud on my personal horizon is the fact that I am down in London next week and will miss the Hertz game, hopefully the boys will do the business in my absence. Getting back to things on the field, I don't think I have ever been so confident about a season than I am about this one. Yesterday, was the equivalent of a religious conversion, and I gotta say I believe. Just watching an Edinburgh derby where passing the ball to a teammate seems to be tantamount to mastering a particularly difficult foreign language. I'm trying desperately to be realistic and to remind myself that not every week will we face a team so lacking in ability as we did yesterday. However the more I see of our prospective opposition, the less fear I feel and to be honest that also includes the team that hail from the East end of this fair city. Not counting loss of form, the only danger I see is tea,s getting wise to our use of the wing-backs, then I think of Archie's signings and I'm all happy again. Oh feck it were going to win the treble!!!

• Like 1

Watched the slo-mo of the 'goal' this morning, thanks to Spanish Jag.

Not a perfect angle but it's debatable whether Baird was in an offside position when the ball was struck.

That's my view too. The ref and his assistants should have gone to Specsavers. There's a wee reminder on their shirts.

Spot on. Football wrecked over recent years by cowardly managers who play 'percentage football.' would love it if archie has the courage to stick with a young group, instructed to pass and take responsibility... And basically try abd win games by playing football. . I think he might based on evidence so far - plus he has a team who it's hard to see getting out-muscled in the way that they did when macnamara's team could. So there is no need to sign journeymen.

Hopefully many clubs are realising that pish entertainment and spl survival adds up to non- survival of the game in general - and thistle can be part of a brave new world - mainly scottish players who can play and with a team ethic snd toughness that used to characetrise scottish teams.

Sorry, i'm pished obviously.

Good points all round.Its good to see that this has surprised many in the top flight.Thistle's game plan is what European sides have been doing for years when they draw an SPL club.Outpass them,do them for pace/fitness and stand up to the rough stuff.Usually worked.

Good points all round.Its good to see that this has surprised many in the top flight.Thistle's game plan is what European sides have been doing for years when they draw an SPL club.Outpass them,do them for pace/fitness and stand up to the rough stuff.Usually worked.

Keeping the ball will be key to anything we do this year. All our players are comfortable taking the ball and passing it on. The one additional thing is patience from fans. Too many people still scream "get it up the park" when the best option is to pass the ball around and try force a mistake. I get the sense our team are disciplined and are happy to keep the ball and wait for the mistakes to happen , like v County where their keeper fluffed 2 clearances, and for the 3rd goal where the defence were still trying to play offside when Craigan hit the ball through to Bannigan they were more concerned about Baird and Lawless on the other side.

Very impressed so far , they key game is this Friday. If we can get anything from it and keep 16 points clear of Hearts I will be happy :)

Keeping the ball will be key to anything we do this year. All our players are comfortable taking the ball and passing it on. The one additional thing is patience from fans. Too many people still scream "get it up the park" when the best option is to pass the ball around and try force a mistake. I get the sense our team are disciplined and are happy to keep the ball and wait for the mistakes to happen , like v County where their keeper fluffed 2 clearances, and for the 3rd goal where the defence were still trying to play offside when Craigan hit the ball through to Bannigan they were more concerned about Baird and Lawless on the other side.

Very impressed so far , they key game is this Friday. If we can get anything from it and keep 16 points clear of Hearts I will be happy :)

That was a great piece of vision by Craigen. Edited by Jaggernaut

The one additional thing is patience from fans. Too many people still scream "get it up the park" when the best option is to pass the ball around and try force a mistake.

So very true. I can't see the usual suspects coming round to showing patience but as long as their idiocy isn't infectious I'll be happy with that.

Talking of the usual suspects Mr Play it on the Ground, Play it on the Ground made the journey to Dingwall. On the off chance he posts on here maybe he could tell me just how Stevie Lawless was going to climb 12ft in the air, control the ball with feet or chest and then play a slide rule pass. And he wasn't the worse by far. I had the misfortune to sit too close to the Three Stooges. Won't say who they are, tho' if I gave a clue that they're nearly always sitting on their own at away games if there's any space a few on here will have a good idea who they are. Even I who's had the misfortune to listen to their gibberish too often was amazed at their negativity when we were 3-0 up. Just one example when we were 1-0 up in the first half. Corner to County with Doolan back defending as always. Corner comes to nothing and we make an exceptionally nippy counter attack getting an early cross into their box. Comes to nothing and according to the Stooges "Doolan had disappeared once again"!

It's not just the team we have to be patient with.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

I think Archie deserves huge credit for sticking with last season's team. So many managers would have exercised their egos in his position, tried to put "their own stamp" on the team. Archie's done this, but only by getting more out of a young team who play for each other and recognise the opportunity they have given themselves.

Thistle were always going to be behind other clubs in terms of signing budgets. By prioritising the re-signing and contract extensions for the existing players he's maintained the team ethos which I think gives us a real edge over most SPL teams. And the new signings can be introduced gradually so that they can also become part of this. Happy days!

• Like 1