Just In - Hearts

peagreenboy

Some saying Kerr/Osbourne should have came on, but the game was there for the taking. If we'd brought either of those on, and stopped creating, people would have moaned after the match. I'd rather Archie was more positive than negative in his decisions.

On this, I think you're wrong and the way the game went kind of proved it. I'd only have said bring Osbourne on when we were a goal up just to shore things up. But Kerr is more creative. He's not as good as Welsh but can play the same type of game, pick the ball up from defence and play it forward. Can shoot too. It would have been like for like. One of the other, tiring players could have come off later for Higgenbotham.

But I'm not complaining too much. As I said on another thread, the manager is young too and learning. I believe we are the kind of team that will learn the lessons. They have the determination to better and prove themselves.

Edited by Mr Bunny

On this, I think you're wrong and the way the game went kind of proved it. I'd only have said bring Osbourne on when we were a goal up just to shore things up. But Kerr is more creative. He's not as good as Welsh but can play the same type of game, pick the ball up from defence and play it forward. Can shoot too. It would have been like for like. One of the other, tiring players could have come off later for Higgenbotham.

I was more referring to the fact fans would be angry if we'd went for a more defensive option, rather than my opinion in general. I'm not sure if it was the right move. Easy to say Kerr or Osbourne would have been better in hindsight though.

We need to somehow squeeze Higginbotham into the starting 11, but doing so means moving Banzo from the left and benching either him, Welsh or Fraser. Tough decision.

Welsh and Bannigan will not be dropped. Just isn't going to happen. I think Fraser is going to be hard to dislodge as well.

Might be Craigen that drops out but then someone will need to move forward into the attacking midfielder role, and I'd imagine it would be Bannigan, cause the other two like to sit back.

Just watched the highlights on Youtube. We've got great pace in the team now, and there were some brilliant through passes, flicks over defenders etc. Could have and should have scored 4 or 5. Great performance, with the only criticism being that nobody really put in a challenge for their equalizer.

I just love the fact that we're approaching every Premiership game with absolutely the right philosophy: a fluent passing game; a genuine attack-minded approach; total self belief that we belong in the top flight and not prepared to settle for second best; and a fantastic work ethic.

We are Thistle and fiercely proud of that.

Thought we played brilliantly.

It was just one of those nights. Doolan will be angry with himself for not scoring that header, but he'll come back from it. We all know what he's capable of.

Only player who i thought wasn't at his best last night was O'Donnell. 2nd half especially I thought he was poor.

Gary Fraser was maybe too over confident trying to dribble the ball out from the back like that, but the guy was immense up to that point.

Balatoni will be kicking himself too. Why he stepped so far to the right I don't know. What a finish from the Hearts boy though, and again, Conrad had a great game up until that point.

We've all watched enough football to know that the team who has just scored is always liable to lose one straight afterwards.

We deserved the win no doubt about it. Felt like a defeat last night, but on reflection, I'd be a lot more worried had it been us that scraped a draw, rather than them.

Edited by ian_mac

Thought we played brilliantly.

It was just one of those nights. Doolan will be angry with himself for not scoring that header, but he'll come back from it. We all know what he's capable of.

Only player who i thought wasn't at his best last night was O'Donnell. 2nd half especially I thought he was poor.

Gary Fraser was maybe too over confident trying to dribble the ball out from the back like that, but the guy was immense up to that point.

Balatoni will be kicking himself too. Why he stepped so far to the right I don't know. What a finish from the Hearts boy though, and again, Conrad had a great game up until that point.

We've all watched enough football to know that the team who has just scored is always liable to lose one straight afterwards.

We deserved the win no doubt about it. Felt like a defeat last night, but on reflection, I'd be a lot more worried had it been us that scraped a draw, rather than them.

Good post. I thought O'donnel was excellent in the first half, only his crossing and general distribution let him down a bit. Agree with all your other points tho :thumbsup2:

Disappointed with a point after the complete domination show in the first half but I saw enough last night to confirm that there isn't a chance that mob will make up 16 points on us. Confident we're going to scud someone soon too, hopefully the midden.

Edit: get that crowd noise to f**k.

Edited by Jagtastic

I think it shows how much we have improved that we are disappointed with the result

No doubt. I agree and am hugely impressed and grateful. But, in order to sustain that improvement and benefit from it we should not take comfort in solely being better than we once were.

I don't think that Archie will allow that. Of course, in our first season up, survival is the target. However, with the team he has assembled our goal is potentially much higher. The players must be convinced there is a real opportunity here to achieve something special, and only winning games really does that.

Even though Hearts are a shadow of their former selves, beating them, not just taking a point, would have sent a strong message that we are here to stay and will be stiff opposition for established Premier teams.

It was a good game. We were the better side. We were at home. We ought to have won.

Moan eh Jags!

:fan:

I thought in the first half we were unplayable and it'd be interesting to see the possession stats in that half. We really played fluently with alternating between slow build ups and quick long passes. Everytime we had the ball, players ran into space, making themselves available and ready for the next pass. We were unlucky in the first half not to score. Welsh was the difference in the second although Higginbotham was excellent, it changed the balance of the team, not only in the middle but it meant we had very little threat down the right side. Although Fraser did lose the ball for the goal it is amazing to think has only played 3 games for us and only 9 for Hamilton.

I am quite excited about this season and don't know how we will do over the next few weeks, my only regret is I will be in Corfu for the next two league games as I think we will not and should not change our style for away games as it is built on a solid foundation in defence and a midfield that work really hard.

Felt like a defeat but am so proud of the Management team and every single Partick Thistle player giving everything for the club. A couple of years ago I would have needed my head examined to be disappointed in a draw against Hearts. For all they have their problems lets not forget they have still have a far higher budget than us.

On another night we could have scored 3 or 4

Higanbotham looked great just think he should try more shots sometimes we know he has a good shot on him.

Agree completely with DP about Baird made a big impact when he came on and got us a penalty as well, fantastic to see Muirhead full of confidence taking it.

For their goal I am sure Fraser was fouled though the lad did score a good goal

Every single fan should be proud of this team and proud of themselves for the fantastic effort backing they are given.

Now hopefully a wee boost for the Motherwell game - Lawless on a new contract I hope. I think he and Forbes will in particularly be raring to go against their former employees

Watching the BBC highlights confirmed something I thought at the time, for all the Hearts goal was a terrific bit of play and a fine finish, I though Fraser was very unlucky not to have been given a foul when he lost possession.

The commentator mentions Fraser "runs into trouble", but that's because - Foul1:

the no15 had a grab at him as he stepped away from him:

jebl.jpg

Foul 2 - The 2nd Hearts then player comes in to challenge him and catches the leg he's about to kick the ball with and that knocks Fraser off his fee and the ball goes free:

n0ip.jpg

The referee is well positioned so can't understand why he didn't give a foul?

Then of course because Fraser is hobbling recovering from that challenge he's then unable to close Walker down, which is what gives him the room to drive forward and then admittedly beat Balatoni with ease.

That apart, great performance from the players, they might be a little disappointed not to have won, but they played well for the third match in a row, and they will get their rewards if they keep it up.

• Like 1

Didn't think we were the same team without Welsh in the second half, although we did manage to still create some chances. Hearts were dire, the number 12 up front put in as bad a performance as I've seen from a striker at any level against us and nae wonder the u 21s got dicked with that useless mug at left back.

didn't happen for doolan, I'd be slightly tempted to bring in Baird next week. I think he suits our style more too, plays with the same tempo as the midfield.

didn't happen for doolan, I'd be slightly tempted to bring in Baird next week. I think he suits our style more too, plays with the same tempo as the midfield.

I like the impact Baird makes when he comes on. Not sure about him replacing Doolan tho' it's bound to be an option Archie's thinking about. Maybe he'll start Baird against Cowden (next but one game) and take it from there.

I think it says a lot that in the space of 18 months we've gone from drawing 1-1 with Culter (admittedly being very angry with it) to feeling more than just a little disappointed to have drawn with Hearts.

This team has come on leaps and bounds in a ridiculously short period of time. We were properly taking the piss out of an (admittedly weakened) long-standing SPL club and forced a number of match-saving efforts from their goalkeeper. If we were just a fraction more clinical we would have gubbed them.

Our centre-backs have a stellar long ball (Muirhead especially) and combined with the wing backs being on their game it means teams don't know how we're going to cut them open. Round the side, over the top or through the middle.

We're one of the better teams in this league. Enjoy it.

Edit: oh and I feel our shape lost itself when Welsh was taken out. He and Fraser can ping a pass and a half, and give Bannigan, Craigen and Lawless insane amounts of freedom to work with Doolan. When those 3 are freed up, we're essentially playing with a fluid diamond front four and defences can't cope. We also suffered a bit because Bannigan was clearly shattered latterly after his exertions midweek.

Hopefully Welsh's knock is a minor one and we'll be back to full strength next week.

Edited by Woodstock Jag

I thought in the first half we were unplayable and it'd be interesting to see the possession stats in that half.

This has been asked in one or two threads. I was looking at stats on my phone at half time and according to BBC we had 61% possession in first half.