Team Vs. Cowdenbeath

ThickAsThieves

That was a right old slog tonight.

First half was similar to Saturday, no tempo or rhythm to our play, couldn't move the ball quick enough.

Like a few others have said I just don't see what mark Kerr brings to the party, far too hesitant on the ball and is weak in the tackle. Just doesn't fit our style of play at all.

Baird needs a goal and we saw glimpses tonight of what he can do. Thought big Gabriel had a decent game and Elliot was the game changer.

I'd start him on Saturday.

As the old cliche goes, it's all about getting into the hat for the next round. Could be worse we could be like county, st mirren and Killie tonight.....

Edited by proudjag

BStByO-CUAAjxze.jpg

Necessary presence, imo. That small band of 12-year-olds must be stopped at all costs.

If it had been a training exercise they would have doubled / trebled up at ALL areas of the ground not put 27 stewards down the side of the baby shed as in this picture, stewards are learning nothing here apart from the art of intimidation on 12 year olds . There appears from this photo only standard amount of stewards at the other stairwells / pitchside, so don't buy the training exercise

I though Forbes had a good match tonight. At points in the game, he looked like the only composed player who could pick out a pass. Also thought he was dangerous when given a sniff of the goal...

Seemed to be a lot of folk giving him grief for slowing the play down when we were in the lead in extra time!

PS Mark Kerr is honking.

Forbes was the main culprit that the ball wasn't getting forward quick enough in the 90mins.

I had no problem with him slowing down the pace & letting them retreat to everyone behind the ball in ET but it was exactly how he played in 90mins also.

I agree Mark Kerr was honking but the only difference between him & Forbes was at Forbes could pass the ball- albeit very slowly & deliberately.

It wasn't until we injected pace into game with Lawless & especially Elliot that we looked threatening.

I believe Allan Preston covering the game for Radio Scotland commented, & agreed, with the laughing of the crowd when the announcement of Forbes MotM came through.

Even the boy who announced it looked a little sheepish at having to do it.

Fox was top class & should've been MotM by a mile, followed by Gabriel & Higginbotham but Forbes..... please. Not n the Mark Kerr class but not the answer in our midfield.

Compare his (Forbes) performance to that of Fraser, Welsh, Bannigan & Osbourne in the games we've played this season. Then take away his set pieces, he'd be nowhere near this team.

If it had been a training exercise they would have doubled / trebled up at ALL areas of the ground not put 27 stewards down the side of the baby shed as in this picture, stewards are learning nothing here apart from the art of intimidation on 12 year olds . There appears from this photo only standard amount of stewards at the other stairwells / pitchside, so don't buy the training exercise

Is it possible that is where the split will be when Celtic visit ?

Thought the game picked up with introduction of Elliott & Hemmings. Based on absolutely nothing I'm guessing the reasoning behind Archie not offering Hemmings a contract will be the same reasoning as to why he's playing for a part time club. In his two cameo roles as a trialist and in his showing last night he looked the part. Something must be not right behind the scenes.

Thought Cowdenbeath played some good open passing football at times last night. Unlike last season when we played Livi, another good passing side, we didn't win just because we were the better footballers. Last night we won not because we were better than them at what we did but more because we were simply the much more fitter side. That reason and Scott Fox, one of the few players I thought who can be pleased with their display.last night.

I thought we were ok without ever looking brilliant. At times Cowdenbeath had 11 men inside their own half which we found impossible to breakdown.

I thought Forbes was decent enough although Foxy was easily MOTM, his save from Hemmings immediately after their goal was outstanding.

ATS and O'Donnell put in good shifts on the wings but we need to start getting more men in to the box as countless times last night balls were being crossed in only for no Thistle player to be anywhere near the penalty box. I wasn't that impressed by Baird, always seems to choose the wrong option in the final 3rd which isn't great when you're a striker! Thought Doolan looked sharp when he came on and only a great save by Adam late on denied him the winner.

Muirhead was pretty poor again I thought, not sure if it's because he had a new centre half beside him but his distribution and positioning was off all night.

Cowdenbeath were a tidy enough team and had some decent players. Hemmings looked a threat when he came on and I wonder if it would have been worth taking a punt on him during the summer?

No, you're right it's much better to wait until there is a crowd which is needing controlled to find out what the stewards' role is in keeping order.

Then we can all complain that none of them seem to know what to do. And don't they ever practice?

• Like 1

That was bad. Pass marks to foxy gabby higgy and the subs, other than that, poor.

Forbes - motm? What game was that sponsor at?

Maybe not MotM but he had a decent game in the first half and was one of our best players when he moved back into Kerr's position. Obviously Foxy for keeping us in the game when we were mince and Lawless for obvious reasons are options instead but you seem to imply he was bad when he was anything but.

Being able to compare Forbes with Kerr has brought me round to agreeing with those who don't rate Kerr - and also given me an insight into why Welsh is important for us.

What Forbes did well (though he's a little slow and could be found out against better teams which press harder) is hold the ball under pressure and then he has the ability to turn a man and get the space to look for a forward pass. Kerr doesn't seem to be able to do this so too many of his passes are back or sideways - nothing wrong when there's no option but he gives himself less chance of playing the required pass when there is an option.

Welsh can do what Forbes did which is hold under pressure, turn a man and then pick a pass that will start an attack. He also has more energy and pace than Forbes and has shown he can do it against much better teams than Cowden. Forbes has still to show if he can do this against the better teams: maybe he can, maybe he can't ,however he's still to my mind a far better option than Kerr.

Edited by Mr Bunny

Thought Gabriel was excellent. "Centre back controls ball on chest shock". It's probably the most difficult position to adjust to coming from somewhere like Spain to here. Loved it when he whistled asking for the ball. Different player to Balatoni - could he replace him? Not sure about Forbes the play slowed right down when he has the ball and I think we're at our best playing at high tempo.

Games against Cowdenbeath are always scrappy affairs - I don't really know why anyone was expecting anything less. As Archie said, it was all about getting into the next round.

It was a similarly frustrating evening as the Ayr game in the previous round and quite a few features of that performance were evident again. We had a lot of the ball yet were unable to penetrate Cowdenbeath's bank of 4 defenders and 5 midfielders for the majority of the game; in fact, the first save that I recall their goalkeeper having to make was in the last ten minutes. It's all good and well having possession of the ball but we were far too content to just play in front of them, spreading the play one way and then back again without really threatening; you would have to credit Cowdenbeath on their organisation in that respect.

There isn't enough movement in a midfield comprising of Kerr, or Osbourne for that matter. I never got the chance to post my ramblings on the weekend's game against Motherwell but Fraser suffered because of Osbourne in the first half as he was stationary and rarely pulled away to offer an option or to take an opposing player into space. Our system doesn't accommodate players like Kerr or Osbourne at the moment - that isn't to say they aren't good players; just that if they are to play, we need to adapt our approach, in my opinion. Osbourne became more involved on Saturday when the more dynamic Bannigan reverted to a central position which actually began to complement his lack of movement to an extent as SB was dragging Motherwell's midfield out of position.

Anyway, back to last night and Kerr. Pairing him with Forbes presents the exact same problem that the combination of Osbourne and Fraser did. Like Fraser, Forbes likes to collect the ball from deep a lot of the time and if you've got a defensive midfielder in the way, it just congests the middle of the park. I don't know what people expect from Forbes; admittedly, I didn't think he was Man of the Match but he was composed on the ball and rarely wasted possession. His set-pieces weren't up to their usual high standard but his lack of pace makes him an easy scapegoat for some of our more simple fans.

On the wings, Higginbotham was ineffective and frustratingly one-footed; if he continues on the left wing, he'll be very easy for opposing teams to combat as he is only going one direction - inside. Not for the first time this season, Craigen was the pick of the midfield and I can only presume was being rested for the St Mirren game. I thought Bannigan put in a tired performance, not physically but probably more mentally as he has played quite a number of games in a short period of time after missing a fair chunk of pre-season.

John Baird - where to start? The epitome of powderpuff. Our main centre-forward last night yet he could be seen collecting the ball in the left back position. I suppose the good thing, currently, is that he is getting himself into the positions but his conversion ratio is surpassing that of Liam Buchanan and, my God, is it frustrating to watch. The chances that he's had in the last two games, Doolan would have buried; the one flip-side to that is whether it was only Baird's bustling style that created those chances in the first place. In his most successful period at Raith (and also his time at Airdrie and Montrose), he played in a front two and usually off a bigger striker - that's where he's at his best and we won't see this side of him until this happens.

I imagine that after his fleeting appearance and goal, some folk will be questioning why we never signed Kane Hemmings. I don't think his ability was ever in question as he is evidently a handy player but, even in his short time on the pitch last night, it was quite clear that his attitude is very suspect - chucking it when a poor ball is played to him and trudging up the park sulking isn't really what we require.

We're in the next round but that's about all that can be said.

Brilliant work by Elliot down the left to create it. He was sensational when he came on, the only player to actually play well apart from Fox.

He deserves to at least get on the bench and come on as a sub at St Mirren after that, Baird and Doolan haven't hit the ground running and what more can he do to merit getting into an SPL game than coming on and single handedly winning a cup match?

dunno about single handedly winning a match, lawless set his goal up for him scored the second and won the penalty foxy's save's especially the penalty one were pretty important and muirhead sticking yet another penalty away all deserve more credit for me.

i do agree he probably deserves a shout in an spl game but who do you drop doolan and baird have more about them in terms of experience and effectivness and i personally think elliot is more of an impact player for the latter stages in a match which baird has been doing recently.i know he's been used on the wing but i dont think he's anywhere near lawless, bannigan or craigen for that matters level and i think even though he's slower than a week in the jail you get more in a match from forbes.

i personaly would leave out kerr for him he has been largly ineffective in the games i ve seen him in.

I take back everything I said at the time about wanting Cameron to be our manager when McNamara left.

Having a solid defence is one thing but parking the bus and hoofing long balls up to the striker is awful watch. At least Ayr came out to take us on.

I think we've all taken back any suggestions that weren't Archie. I have particularly taken back my initial "anyone but Archie" view, which was based on nothing but ignorance and vague notions of Alan Shearer and Ally McCoist.