Dundee United Ban The Bbc . . And Stv

The Sunnylaw Jag

Poor Jackie has has taken a tantrum and banned the BBC and STV for highlighting his player kicking another player. It's interesting that moaning about trial by TV that Jackie talks about feeling sorry for Gavin Gunning but never at any point says he shouldn't have kicked out at Virgil Van Dijk. The good news is we won't be able to hear Jackie's bleatings after his team get beat week after week on Sportscene. Incidentally, has Brian Graham turned out for United other than coming on against us?

Macnamara didn't ban the BBC - he hasn't the power. That would and could only be done by the chairman. Of course the manager is making a tw*t of himself by going along with this. No mention of the two tackles by Butcher when he played us that should have been a red card I notice. They probably blame the BBC for bringing that up in the post match review.

It's not that long ago when United fans were laughing at the ludicrous 'ban' by sevco fans on their ground. I'm sure plenty of them will be well embarrassed by their chairman and manager coming out with this petulant nonsense.

I don't understand why United refused the initial suspension and then took a strop with the BBC reporting it. Gunning did kick him - is it not just open and shut?

United are claiming Gunning only faced the charge because the incident was highlighted on Sportscene. They're also claiming that the highlights were biased and didn't show similar incidents perpetrated by Celtic players. They're mewling is similar to that heard when presented with evidence of Butcher's tackles following the first game of the season. Fast becoming a club I love to hate.

United are claiming Gunning only faced the charge because the incident was highlighted on Sportscene.

I think this particular bit is a legitimate gripe as there seems to be a bit of randomness about what gets taken on by the review panel or whatever they're called.

There was also a story last season that anomymous complaints (made, in the main, by fans about the gruesome twosome about each other) made to Lunny and Co and they were actually entertained. Not sure if that was proved to be a myth, but if it was/still is true then it's a farcical way for a sport's governing body to run its disciplinary matters.

However,

Any complaints United have should of course be directed to the SFA, not the BBC/STV.

Well, people were complaining that the highlights of our match against St Mirren didn't show our superiority, with the same amount of chances shown for both teams ... I don't know, seems thin gruel for such a complaint.

That's the nature of the highlights, especially when they only seem to be allowed to show about 4 minutes of most games - they build it up with replays and going over incidents afterwards. If we had more shots on target our superiority would have been more obvious even in the 4 minute spot, because they want to show "incidents" rather that give an impression of the flow of the game (which is difficult anyway given the short time).

But having a go at the BBC is daft. It's the SFA who should be sorting out some kind of policy: either decide you don't take notice of things shown later on TV (which is difficult as some fans will be up in arms) or else have some committee of refs and maybe players going over TV highlights during the weekend and the responsibility for taking action rests with them.