Aberdeen V Partick Thistle, Monday 4 November

jagfox

We are only playing with one upfront if that's not parking the bus I don't know what is, It's all fine and dandy playing good football but look were that has got St mirren the last few seasons? I think we need two up front because neither Baird or Doolan are suited to play the loan striker role. Also the midfield need to start chipping in with goals too

Playing 1 up front with 2 wide (almost like old fashioned inside forwards) with width coming from the fullbacks is regarded as more attacking than a simple 2 up front.

What SHOULD concern us is that we're not getting enough goals from the 2 wide - Craigen and Higginbotham. Hopefully, this will come.

If we had drawn against ICT, Celtic and Aberdeen I'm sure most on here would've been far more upbeat. There would of course have been the usual suspects moaning about this and that but I'd take their comments with a pinch of salt as always. Anyway points away to two of the division's top teams and a point at home to the league winners would've netted us three points and three points is what we got.

Just because we've lost to Celtic and Aberdeen doesn't make this game with St Mirren any more or less important than it was a few weeks ago. If anything deep down I was only hopeful of us picking up maybe a point since the Hibs game so perhaps a draw on Saturday wouldn't be too bad.

I don't like generally commenting on games I've only seen on TV bar specific incidents but I wouldn't be surprised if Archie breaks slightly with his policy of sticking to guys that hold the jersey. Perhaps a guy like Fraser could've come into the reckoning if he hadn't been such a nutter. We won't change our style of play, probably couldn't even if we wanted to, so I think it could be time for freshening up the midfield both from a defensive and attacking point of view. Wouldn't expect wholesale changes tho'.

• Like 1

Aberdeen are second in the league, favourites for the league cup and last week they pumped Motherwell at Fir Park despite playing most of the game with 10 men! With twenty minutes to go they brought on two former internationals with EPL / Championship experience. They are and should be well ahead of us. St Mirren on Saturday is what's important.

• Like 1

We are only playing with one upfront if that's not parking the bus I don't know what is, It's all fine and dandy playing good football but look were that has got St mirren the last few seasons?

An established SPL side, good crowds and a league cup. I'll 'ave that. According to their fans their poor finish last season and start to this season was due in large part to a change of playing style to punting long balls to Thomson.

I really do hope we pump them Saturday if only to hear Super Dan doing his referring to himself in the third person. That is comedy gold.

3 from 9 is what anyone with a sensible head on wouldve been delighted to get from the last 3 games. I dont think we played as well as we have in recent weeks and Aberdeen were excellent and clinical. Nothing to panic about.

Now lets beat the Midden on Saturday :D

Just want to echo what a few others have said.

Aberdeen are a really good side this season, they've always had the potential to be so and now they have a very good manager in Mcinness who will take them to 2nd place come may of that I'm sure.

No disgrace going up and losing four goals and as many have said we didn't play as badly as some are making out, we were just beaten by the more clinical and experienced team.

I said after the last game v the dons that the big difference is that Aberdeen are so much more streetwise than us and it showed last night. Big and strong at the back and very physical and hard working middle up front.

However st mirren on Saturday - a totally different game and I can honestly see this being the doing we all know has been coming at home :)

• Like 3

Last night was further proof that we can't play Welsh, Osbourne and Bannigan as our midfield. Too defensive minded, and that's why Doolan gets stranded for so much of our games.

Bannigan has needed to be taken out the side for a while, and Welsh probably needs dropped as well, unless he gets back to early season form.

Aberdeen have a wage bill of £5.25 million, so the loss needs to be put in perspective. St Mirren game was always more improtant.

As much as there's no shame in losing to a very solid Aberdeen side, the disappointing thing is the manner in which we lost; the fourth goal apart, they were all totally avoidable which is becoming a recurring trend.

Bannigan's duck was the culmination of a number of weeks of very questionable decisions when faced with tackles or putting himself on the line. I'm finding it difficult to comprehend how a player who was unquestionably committed (even over-committed at times) one season can somehow resort to backing out of the vast majority of challenges in the next. I really can't figure it out. Either way, it cost us last night and it will again if he continues doing so.

If Welsh was foreign, he would be the kind of player that pundits would remark "he doesn't really fancy it on a cold winter night in Aberdeen". That certainly seemed the case last night; I have no idea what he was doing for the third goal - absolutely pathetic defending. Along with the aforementioned Bannigan, they were equally culpable for not tracking the run which led to the second goal. For me, Welsh is a very idealistic player and, at the minute, isn't doing enough in the middle of the park. His reluctance to shoot from 20 yards considering his eagerness to wildly blast it from 40 is becoming very tiresome.

Without a shadow of a doubt, there is absolutely no coincidence that we've conceded 11 goals in 3 games with Gabriel in the team. Does he have potential? I believe he probably does. Is he ready for our first team? No, not at all. His erratic movement and positioning puts more onus on Muirhead, Sinclair and O'Donnell to cover which also creates problems going forward. I've also yet to see him move as part of a defensive line to play offside. Hopefully McMillan, who is a much better option, can stay fit to cover any injuries to Balatoni or Muirhead and Gabriel can go out on loan to learn a few harsh realities.

On the bright side, Higginbotham looked lively again and was the focal point of most of our forays forward; great attempt from kick-off. Fox wouldn't have harmed his reputation despite conceding four goals; excellent save from Zola in the first half. Craigen worked hard and looked to create, and Dools had a thankless task on his tod upfront; good move from Archie to take them off when he did with a crucial game on Saturday.

Aberdeen are certainly our kryptonite. Bring on the Scottish Cup... :(

Edited by Armand2

We are only playing with one upfront if that's not parking the bus I don't know what is, It's all fine and dandy playing good football but look were that has got St mirren the last few seasons? I think we need two up front because neither Baird or Doolan are suited to play the loan striker role. Also the midfield need to start chipping in with goals too

Watching last night was frustrating for everyone. Thistle sometimes remind me of some of the Scotland sides fielded by Roxburgh/Brown -plenty of possession and pretty passing where it doesn't matter. The Germans used to say that Scotland were world champions at passing it about in the centre circle.! It has been a fault of many Scottish teams (not just the national side) to sit and watch admiringly their own cleverness. A classic example was Jim Baxter's inexcusable grandstanding in the 3 -2 win at Wembley (1967 )which could have cost us the match.The object of the game is, however, to score goals. The successful teams are those which are able to convert possession into direct threats at the opposition goal - and we are finding it increasingly difficult to do this now that opposing teams have sussed out our style. Unfortunately, I cannot detect that we have a Plan B- although for a brief period when it was too late we had the Aberdeen defence looking anything but solid. This seemed to coincide with Higginbotham moving further forward, and he has the characteristic direct 'English' style which has been the bane of Scottish teams of all kinds all my life - and he is no Bobby Charlton !!

As much as there's no shame in losing to a very solid Aberdeen side, the disappointing thing is the manner in which we lost; the fourth goal apart, they were all totally avoidable which is becoming a recurring trend.

That's fair comment. I do tho' believe that a team taking the step up a division and set out the way we are will be more likely to concede goals that would be more avoidable to other teams who play a cagier game. It's the sheer number of avoidable goals that should be a cause for concern.

Also, avoidable goals aside, common to our three biggest defeats has been our inability to score. One solitary goal for, to eleven against, To look at things with a wee bit positivity all we need is to get our attacking midfield chipping in with the odd goal and to learn a wee bit from our errors in defence. That I sense would be enough to end up safe in a lower midtable position. I really don't think that would be too difficult for our squad to achieve.

Last night was further proof that we can't play Welsh, Osbourne and Bannigan as our midfield. Too defensive minded, and that's why Doolan gets stranded for so much of our games.

Bannigan has needed to be taken out the side for a while, and Welsh probably needs dropped as well, unless he gets back to early season form.

Aberdeen have a wage bill of £5.25 million, so the loss needs to be put in perspective. St Mirren game was always more improtant.

So when we are too defensive Doolan has been left stranded but when Baird is in he is in no mans land and is branded useless

Edited by thistlenowthistleforever
  • Like 1

I think last night was another game which shows how much we're missing Erskine, there's not really another midfield player who can chio in with 10/15 goals a season and certainly not anyone on our books who can consistently come up with something that wee bit special on a regular basis. Although to be fair Higgenbotham does try.

I think last night was another game which shows how much we're missing Erskine, there's not really another midfield player who can chio in with 10/15 goals a season and certainly not anyone on our books who can consistently come up with something that wee bit special on a regular basis. Although to be fair Higgenbotham does try.

Aberdeen are miles above us in terms of budget. Therefore they have a very good, strong team. We can debate how well we think Erskine would have played for us this season, and last night in particular, but it is pointless. Higginbotham has come close to pulling off something special, particularly last night. What a strike that was from the kick off. Very nearly goal of the season.

• Like 1

...common to our three biggest defeats has been our inability to score. One solitary goal for, to eleven against,

To be fair (and you generally have been) comparing our for and against total in our three heaviest defeats is never going to look good. Other defeats have all been to one goal. That shows that we're competing consistently and not out of our depth by any means. A work in progress, yes, but there's plenty of room for optimism.

Unlike the home game, I feared we wouldn't take points up at pittodrie.

I'm not saying, "I told you so", 'cause I didn't. However, the 0-3 at Firhill, which surprised me and was hopefully a reality check for the players, and the increased media coverage of the dons' recent good form lead me to beleive we were more likely to take something out of the celtic game. I truly thought, and still think, we can take points against celtic.

I still trust in Archie. I love the way he's got us playing but I would like to see a little more experimentation. Especially against the teams who are playing well and near the top of the league. Our performance in the first round of league games should give him confidence to gradually evolve our style of play around the talents and qualities of the players he has.

We are still a really good team. We have got some very good players. But, they, the team and the management, still have a huge amount of thought, hard work, and innovation before them if they are to be successful. This team has undoubtable potential.

I'm not excusing an aggregate 0-7 against the sheep tampering riggers. It's a f**kin embarrassment! :mad: But no disgrace. This team should be pushing for europe!

Right now i'll still settle for survival.

:fan:

Bannigan's duck was the culmination of a number of weeks of very questionable decisions when faced with tackles or putting himself on the line. I'm finding it difficult to comprehend how a player who was unquestionably committed (even over-committed at times) one season can somehow resort to backing out of the vast majority of challenges in the next. I really can't figure it out. Either way, it cost us last night and it will again if he continues doing so.

If Welsh was foreign, he would be the kind of player that pundits would remark "he doesn't really fancy it on a cold winter night in Aberdeen". That certainly seemed the case last night; I have no idea what he was doing for the third goal - absolutely pathetic defending. Along with the aforementioned Bannigan, they were equally culpable for not tracking the run which led to the second goal. For me, Welsh is a very idealistic player and, at the minute, isn't doing enough in the middle of the park. His reluctance to shoot from 20 yards considering his eagerness to wildly blast it from 40 is becoming very tiresome.

Without a shadow of a doubt, there is absolutely no coincidence that we've conceded 11 goals in 3 games with Gabriel in the team. Does he have potential? I believe he probably does. Is he ready for our first team? No, not at all. His erratic movement and positioning puts more onus on Muirhead, Sinclair and O'Donnell to cover which also creates problems going forward. I've also yet to see him move as part of a defensive line to play offside. Hopefully McMillan, who is a much better option, can stay fit to cover any injuries to Balatoni or Muirhead and Gabriel can go out on loan to learn a few harsh realities.

On the bright side, Higginbotham looked lively again and was the focal point of most of our forays forward; great attempt from kick-off. Fox wouldn't have harmed his reputation despite conceding four goals; excellent save from Zola in the first half. Craigen worked hard and looked to create, and Dools had a thankless task on his tod upfront; good move from Archie to take them off when he did with a crucial game on Saturday.

Aberdeen are certainly our kryptonite. Bring on the Scottish Cup... :(

The only goal close to being unavoidable was the first. Never a free kick. You might argue that players have to smarten up at this level and realise players go down easily. But the ref gave a foul incorrectly and there is nothing you can do about that..... except slap the fud and get sent off. Once the kick is given we couldv'e done more to stop the goal. Bannigan is a poo-say and I think Welsh too hides in that wall.

The fourth goal developed because the mid-field were sleeping. I think it's possibly Ozzy who's taking a wee rest but they waltz through us from their keeper's pass to their full back. Harsh criticism when we're 3-0 down, but every goal counts and all that.

I reckon you're right about Banjo. I think he does need to find his drive and hunger again. I kinda agree on Welsh too, although when you say "idealistic", I think that might be resolved by trying him in a different role. Maybe further up the park. I think he looks unsure of what his job is sometimes. He's a good player, I like him on form, but think Archie made a mistake choosing him for captain.

Your right that Piccolo's inclusion is no doubt part cause to two heavy defeats. I've only seen him in these two games. But I wonder how well he'd get on with Balatoni alongside him instead of Muirhead? I too think he's got potential, I've faith in Archie's judgement on the player. After aberdeen home defeat i was inclined to think Muirhead and Gabby were on a blind date. Maybe Conrad's spanish is better than BIG AAAAAARRN? :)

Higgy would be my choice for captain right now. Pity we didn't know him at the start of the season. His work rate and desire is second to none in the team. Bad crack to chop and change team captain and y'gotta leave on it Welsh, But a wee word in his ear to remind him, " Oi Sean, your'e the captain of Partick Thistle F.C... Step it up son!!!". .... Craigen is braw just now. Doolan need's better service.....

We could beat Aberdeen. They ain't that good. Zola scares us when really all he's got is his size. They are well organised, Mckinnes has got them playing well and together..... Kryptonite... Nah.... more... Dodgy kebab or a bad pint.

:fan:

Edited by ChewinGumMacaroonBaaaz