January Signings

Lionel J. Botch

The Muirhead vs. Conrad question is a toughie. Aero is better in the air but his lack of pace can be an issue. Conrad's a bit quicker and is more comfortable playing on the left of the central pairing. For me Conrad is the better option, but it's a close call.

every game I've been to balatoni is solid

in the air though seems to lack awareness

James Martin away to a team in Belgium apparently until end of season.

When does James contract with Thistle end?

If its at the end of the season and we offer a new one but he wants to stay in Belgium and says no are we still entitled to compensation because of his age or does that only work out if it is too another club in Scotland?

James Martin away to a team in Belgium apparently until end of season.

When does James contract with Thistle end?

If its at the end of the season and we offer a new one but he wants to stay in Belgium and says no are we still entitled to compensation because of his age or does that only work out if it is too another club in Scotland?

Martin signed for KV Turnhout on deadline day. If he's out of contract in May and signs for them, we would not be entitled from to compensation. Compensation would only be payable if he signed for a Scottish club.

The current rules are unfair and compensation should be payable by any club. Manchester United got no compensation from Juventus for Paul Pogba and he's now worth £20m or more. It's surprising that EU laws permit this rule as it is, in effect, discriminatory.

ETA - Btw, we would not get any compensation if our young players move to clubs in England, Wales or Northern Ireland at the end of their contracts.

Edited by kni

Martin signed for KV Turnhout on deadline day. If he's out of contract in May and signs for them, we would not be entitled from to compensation. Compensation would only be payable if he signed for a Scottish club.

The current rules are unfair and compensation should be payable by any club. Manchester United got no compensation from Juventus for Paul Pogba and he's now worth £20m or more. It's surprising that EU laws permit this rule as it is, in effect, discriminatory.

ETA - Btw, we would not get any compensation if our young players move to clubs in England, Wales or Northern Ireland at the end of their contracts.

Thanks for the info Kni :thumbsup2:

If we value Martin and his contract is up in May then he should've been offered a renewal prior to going out on loan. I haven't a scooby how the compensation thingy works but would've thought if compo kicks in, Accies would be due something. I imagine tho' that, if a player we want to keep, Martin is contracted past May. I can't see us putting him out on loan otherwise.

I'm pretty sure compo applies to selling players abroad too, although the level may be lower. Not that that matters much as most of the compo at present would be due to Hamilton. We've signed him start of last season so if his contract is up then we must have only offered a year's contract whereas I'm sure any player we rated would have been offered a 2-year deal. Maybe he did get such a deal. One thing, his going to Belgium shows the kind of attitude of someone who isn't willing to just rest on his laurels but will make an effort to get better.

If we value Martin and his contract is up in May then he should've been offered a renewal prior to going out on loan. I haven't a scooby how the compensation thingy works but would've thought if compo kicks in, Accies would be due something. I imagine tho' that, if a player we want to keep, Martin is contracted past May. I can't see us putting him out on loan otherwise.

Accies allowed Martin's to cancel his contract.

I'm pretty sure compo applies to selling players abroad too, although the level may be lower. Not that that matters much as most of the compo at present would be due to Hamilton. We've signed him start of last season so if his contract is up then we must have only offered a year's contract whereas I'm sure any player we rated would have been offered a 2-year deal. Maybe he did get such a deal. One thing, his going to Belgium shows the kind of attitude of someone who isn't willing to just rest on his laurels but will make an effort to get better.

I will look for the FIFA rules on training compensation that could be available online.

Players who signed on one-year deals for this season included Isaac Osbourne, Christie Elliot, Ross Forbes, Mark Kerr, Ross Meechan and Chris Duggan. Loanees Ryan Scully, Liam Lindsay and Coalan McAleer are out of contract in May.

Edited by kni

The very complicated FIFA rules below (and the related annexes) suggest that we would be entitled to receive compensation for Martin - provided that he is offered a new contract in writing 60 days before his current contract expires. As he came through the Accies youth system, we would have pass a substantial proportion to them under the "solidarity mechanism".

20 Training compensation

Training compensation shall be paid to a player’s training club(s): (1) when a player signs his first contract as a professional, and (2) each time a professional is transferred until the end of the season of his 23rd birthday. The obligation to pay training compensation arises whether the transfer takes place during or at the end of the player’s contract. The provisions concerning training compensation are set out in Annexe 4 of these regulations.

21 Solidarity mechanism

If a professional is transferred before the expiry of his contract, any club that has contributed to his education and training shall receive a proportion of the compensation paid to his former club (solidarity contribution). The provisions concerning solidarity contributions are set out in Annexe 5 of these regulations.

ANNEXE 4

4 Training costs

1. In order to calculate the compensation due for training and education costs, associations are instructed to divide their clubs into a maximum of four categories in accordance with the clubs’ financial investment in training players. The training costs are set for each category and correspond to the amount needed to train one player for one year multiplied by an average “player factor”, which is the ratio of players who need to be trained to produce one professional player.

2. The training costs, which are established on a confederation basis for each category of club, as well as the categorisation of clubs for each association, are published on the FIFA website (www.FIFA.com). They are updated at the end of every calendar year. Associations are required to keep the data regarding the training category of their clubs inserted in TMS up to date at all times

(cf. Annexe 3, article 5.1 paragraph 2).

5 Calculation of training compensation

1. As a general rule, to calculate the training compensation due to a player’s former club(s), it is necessary to take the costs that would have been incurred by the new club if it had trained the player itself.

2. Accordingly, the first time a player registers as a professional, the training compensation payable is calculated by taking the training costs of the new club multiplied by the number of years of training, in principle from the season of the player’s 12th birthday to the season of his 21st birthday. In the case of subsequent transfers, training compensation is calculated based on the training costs of the new club multiplied by the number of years of training with the former club.

3. To ensure that training compensation for very young players is not set at unreasonably high levels, the training costs for players for the seasons between their 12th and 15th birthdays (i.e. four seasons) shall be based on the training and education costs of category 4 clubs. This exception shall, however, not be applicable where the event giving rise to the right to training compensation (cf. Annexe 4 article 2 paragraph 1) occurs before the end of the season of the player’s 18th birthday.

4. The Dispute Resolution Chamber may review disputes concerning the amount of training compensation payable and shall have discretion to adjust this amount if it is clearly disproportionate to the case under review.

6 Special provisions for the EU/EEA

1. For players moving from one association to another inside the territory of the EU/EEA, the amount of training compensation payable shall be established based on the following:

a. If the player moves from a lower to a higher category club, the calculation shall be based on the average training costs of the two clubs.

b. If the player moves from a higher to a lower category, the calculation shall be based on the training costs of the lower-category club.

2. Inside the EU/EEA, the final season of training may occur before the season of the player’s 21st birthday if it is established that the player completed his training before that time.

3. If the former club does not offer the player a contract, no training compensation is payable unless the former club can justify that it is entitled to such compensation. The former club must offer the player a contract in writing via registered post at least 60 days before the expiry of his current contract. Such an offer shall furthermore be at least of an equivalent value to the current contract. This provision is without prejudice to the right to training compensation of the player’s previous club(s).

ANNEXE 5

Solidarity mechanism

1 Solidarity contribution

If a professional moves during the course of a contract, 5% of any compensation, not including training compensation paid to his former club, shall be deducted from the total amount of this compensation and distributed by the new club as a solidarity contribution to the club(s) involved in his training and education over the years. This solidarity contribution reflects the number of years (calculated pro rata if less than one year) he was registered with the relevant club(s) between the seasons of his 12th and 23rd birthdays, as follows:

Season of 12th birthday: 5% (i.e. 0.25% of total compensation)

Season of 13th birthday: 5% (i.e. 0.25% of total compensation)

Season of 14th birthday: 5% (i.e. 0.25% of total compensation)

Season of 15th birthday: 5% (i.e. 0.25% of total compensation)

Season of 16th birthday: 10% (i.e. 0.5% of total compensation)

Season of 17th birthday: 10% (i.e. 0.5% of total compensation)

Season of 18th birthday: 10% (i.e. 0.5% of total compensation)

Season of 19th birthday: 10% (i.e. 0.5% of total compensation)

Season of 20th birthday: 10% (i.e. 0.5% of total compensation)

Season of 21st birthday: 10% (i.e. 0.5% of total compensation)

Season of 22nd birthday: 10% (i.e. 0.5% of total compensation)

Season of 23rd birthday: 10% (i.e. 0.5% of total compensation)

2 Payment procedure

1. The new club shall pay the solidarity contribution to the training club(s) pursuant to the above provisions no later than 30 days after the player’s registration or, in case of contingent payments, 30 days after the date of such payments.

2. It is the responsibility of the new club to calculate the amount of the solidarity contribution and to distribute it in accordance with the player’s career history as provided in the player passport. The player shall, if necessary, assist the new club in discharging this obligation.

3. An association is entitled to receive the proportion of solidarity contribution which in principle would be due to one of its affiliated clubs, if it can provide evidence that the club in question – which was involved in the professional’s training and education – has in the meantime ceased to participate in organised football and/or no longer exists due to, in particular, bankruptcy, liquidation, dissolution or loss of affiliation. This solidarity contribution shall be reserved for youth football development programmes in the association(s) in question.

Edited by kni

Interesting to read in the Mail at the weekend that Sally said ourselves and Hibs were the two clubs that wanted Dean Sheils on loan in January. Wonder how much we would have contributed to his 7 grand a week wages??

10% maximum I would have thought. The guy is on a ridiculous wage if that is even half accurate!

Interesting to read in the Mail at the weekend that Sally said ourselves and Hibs were the two clubs that wanted Dean Sheils on loan in January. Wonder how much we would have contributed to his 7 grand a week wages??

A club loaning a player to another club two divisions above them?

When has that ever happened before?