Under 20's V St. Mirren

The Sunnylaw Jag

So did anybody go to the Under 20's game tonight in Airdrie v St. Mirren or was the £2 price tag too much. Having a look at the fixtures coming up I believe we are playing Rangers next Tuesday. Linked below is the SPFL under 20's fixtures and results which is quite good for keeping up with the scores for other teams too.

http://spfl.co.uk/reserve-and-youth/

First Limassol and now The Rangers, not often we get to play 2 clubs for the first time ever within such a short period.

Very true, although should be remembered Limassol is the bigger of the two.

6 top league titles, 9 cup titles, 1 second tier league title, 7 european campaigns and a 83 year history pisses all over a club with only one 4th tier trophy in their cabinet.

I can't really comment on the Under-20s as I have not had the chance to get along and see them yet. However, with their excellent start to the season, you do wonder how long it will be before some of them at least begin pushing for a place on the bench - guys like Lindsay, McDaid, Duggan, Colina etc could maybe be risked on a 7 man bench.

I noticed at Aberdeen the other week that Archie put Mukendi on the bench. Given that he has played against Ayr and we have never seen him otherwise, I would like to see the opportunity going to some of our own young guys.

Massive credit should also go to Scott McKenzie - building a team from scratch and competing in any league is a major challenge. We are doing fantastically, particularly when we are often not making any use of over-age players. Encouraging signs for the future.

• Like 1

Looking at the St. Mirren report from last night I see that Young Gary Harkins was playing as well as Danny Grainger.

http://www.saintmirr.../pages/?p=28270

Looking at these pics, the Thistle lads don't seem all that small compared to the St Mirren boys. Some look quite tall (unless St Mirren guys are all wee guys but I know Harkins is fairly tall and the lads in the same pics don't look wee compared to him).

The Under 20s games I've seen we've generally been the smaller side. That said it's marginal and I don't think we've lost any aerial battles

Because they by and large play to the first team template it's easy to compare certain players with their senior counterparts. If these players are good enough given time most of them will be able to come into the big team with the minimum of disruption. Jordan Leyden is perhaps the exception as he plays more in the Chris Erskine position. Similarities don't end there and that could be no bad thing.