Jags V St Johnstone

The Cup

What is the latest with our suspensions and injuries for Saturday? I guess Bannigan and Balatoni will be available from suspension but SOD will still be out. Are we likely to have Welsh, Lawless and Higginbotham available? If we are relatively free of injures and suspensions then there are a few interesting team options and I would go for:

Fox

McMillan Muirhead Piccolo ATS

Craigen Welsh Bannigan Osbourne

Doolan Higginbotham

Not so sure someone from The Justice League of America would be a good choice though. Perhaps someone from the Marvel World's Defenders might be better.

Quote from Wiki (as evidence, I remember this from yonks ago) : "The Defenders is the name of a number of Marvel Comics superhero groups which are usually presented as a "non-team" of individualistic "outsiders," each known for following their own agendas."

I don't think we want our own team to be like that... we need to work as a proper team. On the other hand the Defenders were known for recruiting the weirdest superheroes so maybe it fits with Thistle that way.

Edited by Mr Bunny

What is the latest with our suspensions and injuries for Saturday? I guess Bannigan and Balatoni will be available from suspension but SOD will still be out. Are we likely to have Welsh, Lawless and Higginbotham available? If we are relatively free of injures and suspensions then there are a few interesting team options and I would go for:

Fox

Craigen Welsh Bannigan Osbourne

Doolan Higginbotham

We're not going to change our formation. Although I agree that in view of the comments from some who made the HIbs game that we failed to hold the ball enough in the 2nd half, Welsh should play.

Team more likely to be like this:

Fox

Welsh Osbourne

Higginbotham Craigen Forbes

Doolan

Since we got a point I think the only change likely is bringing Welsh in and moving Craigen forward - this is assuming Lawless is still injured. If Higginbotham isn't fit either then Elliot will play.

Edited by Mr Bunny

What is the latest with our suspensions and injuries for Saturday? I guess Bannigan and Balatoni will be available from suspension but SOD will still be out. Are we likely to have Welsh, Lawless and Higginbotham available? If we are relatively free of injures and suspensions then there are a few interesting team options

Archie's comments post-match indicated that Lawless had a dead-leg so he should be available but he said Higgy took a nasty looking knock. Higgy did hobble onto the pitch to applaud the fans at the end and his leg was bandaged and he looked to be in some discomfort. Higgy might be out, hope he is available though.

Lawless did very little in his 30 minutes so, if fit, I would keep him as an attacking option on the bench. Forbes helped the team on Saturday so start him instead.

Lawless did very little in his 30 minutes so, if fit, I would keep him as an attacking option on the bench. Forbes helped the team on Saturday so start him instead.

Not really disagreeing but Archie said he was trying to stop Doolan being so isolated hence why he started Stevie. Forbes of course could give close support to Kris but it's not his normal game. Lawless has the energy and game to do just that probably giving way to either Ross or Baird when he runs out of steam. Playing Lawless could also result in Doolan getting 90 mins.

As I say not disagreeing re starting Forbes just offering up another option.

Oh and a personal plea...No one please point out Stevie May's dismal record against us (oops, just done). He's scored something like 33 goals this calendar year. That's more than impressive in less than 9 months of football. May and Hasselbaink will be a handful.

Really? Didn't rate Forbes much on Saturday. Aside from his sitter, which I think he was caught off guard with because he handled it beforehand, he wasn't pressing Hibs when we were 1-0 up yet didn't look too effective going forward either really. I'd bench him on Saturday.

• Like 1

Craigen is mobile but does not have much of a shot on him so I have moved him out to the wing. Still think Forbes could work playing behind Doolan. I think what we are really missing is a "number 10" type player who supports our striker. Welsh and Osbourne can protect the back four. McMillan played well in place of SOD and ATS can be a bit more conservative in his runs forward.

Fox

Welsh Osbourne

Forbes

Higginbotham Doolan Craigen

Really? Didn't rate Forbes much on Saturday. Aside from his sitter, which I think he was caught off guard with because he handled it beforehand, he wasn't pressing Hibs when we were 1-0 up yet didn't look too effective going forward either really. I'd bench him on Saturday.

Lawless was basically useless in his 30 minutes. From memory, he was part of one positive move. Forbes helped the team with some passing and contributed more. Yes, his miss was terrible but I think he foolishly expected Beaton to whistle for the handball. He should have played to the whistle.

I am not saying Forbes was great, he was one of our less effective players on Saturday but he still offers more than Lawless has recently.

I am not saying Forbes was great, he was one of our less effective players on Saturday but he still offers more than Lawless has recently.

My opinion on those two is that neither has contributed much at all since the start of the season, and that if there are to be personnel changes for next season then they are both on the way to becoming surplus to requirements.

My opinion on those two is that neither has contributed much at all since the start of the season, and that if there are to be personnel changes for next season then they are both on the way to becoming surplus to requirements.

Agree.

Pre-season, I felt Forbes would prove to be a crucial player and hoped that his quality would come out. He has not "set the heather on fire" so far.

Lawless started so well - Dundee United, County and Hearts games. He then just faded. I would remove his contract offer based on his form this season to date. He should be jumping to sign but obviously believes he can move onto bigger things.

I think Forbes is more useful and contributes more than Lawless.

Edited by mhs

Hi All,

Earlier today I learned of someone making a long journey to see this match and hoping to meet up with Jags fans beforehand. Here is the e-mail I received. If interested, let him know and share your intent here as perhaps a few of you may be able to make his day and spread the good word about Thistle?

Hi,

My name is Anders Bengtsson and I'm editor in chief at Swedish football

magazine Offside. Offside is Scandinavia's best selling magazine on football

and is well known for our in depth features. We have throughout the years

worked with writers such as Simon Kuper, Jonathan Wilson, Ronald Reng and

Sid Lowe.

Now, I'm coming over to Glasgow tomorrow and will spend a few days in

Scotland in order to write a big piece on Partick Thistle. I'll leave on

Sunday and will attend the game against St Johnstone.

It is my wish to tell this story about your club through a supporter, as I

would assume that it is quite »special« to be a Thistle supporter in a city

like Glasgow.

I'm now looking for characters that could help me out, people with a story

that relates to their love affair with Thistle. Do you think of anyone in

particular, someone that deserves praise for his or her long lasting

relationship with Thistle, someone that has done a lot for the fan base

around the club, please let me know!

Like I said, I'll be in Glasgow from tomorrow afternoon and I really need

your help in order to write this story. Let me know if you are up for a beer

tomorrow night.

Kind Regards,

Anders Bengtsson ([email protected])

www.offside.org

Edited by Shuggie

Hi All,

Earlier today I learned of someone making a long journey to see this match and hoping to meet up with Jags fans beforehand. Here is the e-mail I received. If interested, let him know and share your intent here as perhaps a few of you may be able to make his day and spread the good word about Thistle?

Hi,

My name is Anders Bengtsson and I'm editor in chief at Swedish football

magazine Offside. Offside is Scandinavia's best selling magazine on football

and is well known for our in depth features. We have throughout the years

worked with writers such as Simon Kuper, Jonathan Wilson, Ronald Reng and

Sid Lowe.

Now, I'm coming over to Glasgow tomorrow and will spend a few days in

Scotland in order to write a big piece on Partick Thistle. I'll leave on

Sunday and will attend the game against St Johnstone.

It is my wish to tell this story about your club through a supporter, as I

would assume that it is quite »special« to be a Thistle supporter in a city

like Glasgow.

I'm now looking for characters that could help me out, people with a story

that relates to their love affair with Thistle. Do you think of anyone in

particular, someone that deserves praise for his or her long lasting

relationship with Thistle, someone that has done a lot for the fan base

around the club, please let me know!

Like I said, I'll be in Glasgow from tomorrow afternoon and I really need

your help in order to write this story. Let me know if you are up for a beer

tomorrow night.

Kind Regards,

Anders Bengtsson ([email protected])

www.offside.org

Good to see Scandinavia's top selling football magazine researching a big piece on Partick Thistle well in advance of their trip.

I’ve not really had the chance to talk to Kenny Crichton yet but we are hoping that it is just a dead leg that Steven Lawless has suffered. It looks as if he just took a thud on the leg and hopefully it won’t be anything more serious than a dead leg. He really couldn’t move after that which was a blow as I thought Steven was doing well. He was just starting to get in the game. We played him in behind Kris Doolan today just to try and change things about.

Well it looks like the gaffer had different views from some on here concerning Lawless!! I know who's opinion I trust.

• Like 1

I thought Lawless picked up the ball a couple of times in dangerous positions. The truth is we need someone who can pick up the ball in the hole and drive at players. No one else in the team does this, Higgy likes to stay out wide, Craigen looks for a pass, and Forbes doesn't have the legs to get beyond the striker.

Remember how many times last year if we could get the ball into the hole to Lawless and Erskine we'rd rip teams apart. That's not happening this year and is a major contributing factor to why we're not scoring goals. I'd start Lawless in that position everytime before Forbes and Craigen. If we want to pose more of a threat we need to get the dangerous guys playing in the right positions.

I thought Lawless picked up the ball a couple of times in dangerous positions. The truth is we need someone who can pick up the ball in the hole and drive at players. No one else in the team does this, Higgy likes to stay out wide, Craigen looks for a pass, and Forbes doesn't have the legs to get beyond the striker.

Remember how many times last year if we could get the ball into the hole to Lawless and Erskine we'rd rip teams apart. That's not happening this year and is a major contributing factor to why we're not scoring goals. I'd start Lawless in that position everytime before Forbes and Craigen. If we want to pose more of a threat we need to get the dangerous guys playing in the right positions.

Lawless was excellent for us last season, but his smallness and slight build mean that he gets snuffed out/suffocated too easily in this division; he doesn't have the same pace or agility that James Grady had to allow him to overcome it. Forbes just hasn't shown the drive or physical prowess to merit a starting place, imo. Even his corners have been average and predictable (if they don't go directly out for a goal kick). Craigen hasn't been at the top of his game either in recent weeks, but he can mix it physically at this level.

But please, any of those three before Mark Kerr gets back in the team!!!

• Like 1

"We struggled to hold onto the ball in the second half on Saturday so Welsh should play this week."

"I can't swim so I'm going to jump off this boat."

Very clever. Or it would be if you explained why he shouldn't play. If fit and on form he can hold the ball under pressure and make passes. He was a key player for us early in the season. I didn't say all that before because I thought it would have been obvious to anyone who's watched us often enough this season.