Archie Must Go ?

javeajag

I've certainly not reached the stage where I think calls for Archie to leave are justified but to blindly oppose some pretty reasonable observations on the basis of loyalty is foolhardy. A lack of action from the management team again cost us dear at the weekend - it was blatantly obvious to most in the stadium that we were being completely overrun in midfield and desperately needed someone who could retain possession; the introduction of Forbes came a good 10-15 minutes too late. Archie's reluctance to introduce substitutes has been evident from his first few games in charge last season - the rearranged Hamilton game where despite speaking of the importance of squad management in the coming months in the build-up, he never made any changes until 10 minutes from the end of a match we struggled in - and it is definitely something of a concern that he seems oblivious to our needs during a match.

I'm still to be convinced of the sustainability of a signing policy which seems only to include players who we have encountered in the last 18 months. I believe the lack of flexibility on our formation has been costly so far although bringing Doolan on to partner Taylor on Saturday was an encouraging sign.

I love Archie as much as the next man, one of my idols, but he's not exempt from criticism and as much as there are knicker-wetters calling for his head, there are also numerous pairs of soaking pants from those who won't have a word said against him.

• Like 1

I've certainly not reached the stage where I think calls for Archie to leave are justified but to blindly oppose some pretty reasonable observations on the basis of loyalty is foolhardy. A lack of action from the management team again cost us dear at the weekend - it was blatantly obvious to most in the stadium that we were being completely overrun in midfield and desperately needed someone who could retain possession; the introduction of Forbes came a good 10-15 minutes too late. Archie's reluctance to introduce substitutes has been evident from his first few games in charge last season - the rearranged Hamilton game where despite speaking of the importance of squad management in the coming months in the build-up, he never made any changes until 10 minutes from the end of a match we struggled in - and it is definitely something of a concern that he seems oblivious to our needs during a match.

I'm still to be convinced of the sustainability of a signing policy which seems only to include players who we have encountered in the last 18 months. I believe the lack of flexibility on our formation has been costly so far although bringing Doolan on to partner Taylor on Saturday was an encouraging sign.

I love Archie as much as the next man, one of my idols, but he's not exempt from criticism and as much as there are knicker-wetters calling for his head, there are also numerous pairs of soaking pants from those who won't have a word said against him.

I agree broadly with what you are saying and I am not blindly opposing certain things or decisions that are being made by the management team. He also shouldn't be exempt from criticism. I disagree with many personnel decisions that are being made but he is still the best man for the job and time will tell if he learns from his mistakes. I hope he does because successful clubs need stability. I hope he isn't let down by being too loyal to some players though as Saturday was largely about individual errors in key areas...something we have seen too much of this season...

County aren't panicking as this season is going the exact same as last. Do rubbish, spend in January, go on a wee run and be safe.

Also they are managing to pick up points while playing poorly. We aren't picking up points when we are playing reasonably well so what chance to do we have when we are poor.

I don't think many fans are calling for Archie's head, but likewise, apart from sentimental values, I think another manager is probably what we need. Archie has a couple weeks to pull a good signing or two out the bag. If not then he needs to work double on the training ground and start giving this team some shape and tactics to cope with the premiership.

I've read a lot of bullshit on this forum in my time but asking for Gus McPherson to replace Archie has to be the number one BS moment of all time. Gus McPherson? As another poster rightly points out, do you not see why he is out of work at present? How many vacancies have there been since he left St Midden that he no doubt applied for, and subsequently missed out on? Why do no club want to appoint him as manager? Ask any St Midden fan how he had them playing and they will tell you.

McPherson at Firhill as manager?

That's the day the club dies and I for one end my 35odd year association with PTFC.

You are wrong my friend........

He was successful with the application he submitted for the Queen of the South post :getmecoat:

He was successful with the application he submitted for the Queen of the South post :getmecoat:

If I recall Queens were stuck in a rut and McPherson managed to help guide them out the division they were in.

Maybe all we're lacking is someone in a supervisory capacity. Howzabout Bobby Williamson as Director of Football?

Agree with all of that.

But come on, the guy suggested Gus McPherson!

That'll be the same Gus McPherson who couldn't even keep QOS in the 1st division. A decent QOS team as well, pretty much the same side that romped the 2nd division and Ramsdens Cup the year after. He should never get near an SPL job ever again after that.

Agree with all of that.

But come on, the guy suggested Gus McPherson!

That'll be the same Gus McPherson who couldn't even keep QOS in the 1st division. A decent QOS team as well, pretty much the same side that romped the 2nd division and Ramsdens Cup the year after. He should never get near an SPL job ever again after that.

Don't get me wrong, I'm in no way proposing the appointment of Gus bloody MacPherson! Archie is infinitely better than that dinosaur. In fact, I'll be quite disappointed if Queen's Park resort to appointing him as I quite enjoy watching them when I can and he is the complete antithesis to what QP are all about.

This!

Spot on!

Will be interesting to see the comments on here if things don't go our way against Killie

Really not sure what to make of the view point that we should be looking for a new manager. Either those making these type of posts are so young and naive and full of fantisafull expectations fuelled by the success of the past year or an over used playstation? If that's not the reason then what is it, what really did you think this season was going to be like and who really could make such a difference that it would be worth ripping a loyal servant from his post?

Not saying he hasn't made mistakes but if your honest had the players taken more of the chances created or defended better at the key points then it's not unreasonable to think we could have had 3~6 more points and the table would look much better.

If the result against Killie is positive don't worry I'm sure you will be able to come back on looking for Archie's head and point to the next key game.

• Like 2

If I recall Queens were stuck in a rut and McPherson managed to help guide them out the division they were in.

Maybe all we're lacking is someone in a supervisory capacity. Howzabout Bobby Williamson as Director of Football?

A good idea but Bobby Williamson is managing a club side in Kenya. Who else would you suggest for such a role?

Agree with Metz. Archie can do nothing whatsover about Balatoni or Doolan heading over from 2 yards out or Lawless blasting over v killie among many others. If we had scored from the sitters we have missed this thread would have been named Archie must go ...in place of moyes

I think we are 2 pts worse off after 21 games than we were in our first season last time round and we had a lot of experience in the team and in the management then.

Difficult to make direct comparisons I know, as the make-up of the top Division is different. There is only one Club spending buckets more than everybody else whereas there used to be 2, and there is a bit more equivalence of spending power, but back then Motherwell were the Hearts equivalent: in administration and destined for bottom place.

We're not doing that badly with the resources we have and I doubt there are many who don't think we could be up to 10pts better off with a relatively small number of better finishes and less costly mistakes at the back.

The "sack the manager" keech is just that.

A good idea but Bobby Williamson is managing a club side in Kenya. Who else would you suggest for such a role?

:thinking: Someone with the same positive attitude as Bobby Williamson. Same astute tactical awareness. Somebody that would be the equal of Williamson. Maybe someone from Still Game or Jordan McMillan's hairdresser. Failing that Adam Strachan's parole officer

• Like 2