Archie Must Go ?

javeajag

News for the usual roasters on here, but there are actually very valid grounds to at the very least debate this topic - so why are such valid criticisms of the manager being shouted down with spittle-stained seethe rather than actually being discussed? Today we were thrashed by the worst team in the league and the only team who we could have a real claim to being better/more experienced than. At home. I think there's a lot of evidence to suggest that there were tactical reasons for this - Doolan's position left us with four up front, which in turn left us with next to zero presence in midfield besides two lightweight (and today underperforming) midfielders, and which also left us with zero attacking alternatives to introduce when we were chasing the game, thus once Hearts made it 2-1 it was pretty much theirs. Today happened as a result of a blasé, couldn't-give-a-shit attitude from the players after our strong start to the game, but I would suggest even moreso it was due to big mistakes on the manager's part (and certainly not for the first time this season).

• Like 1

It's a forum .. .

But say something positive

the forum was a better place without you for six weeks

I emailed admin and they didn't do it. - fact

change your password to a series of unrememberable letters and numbers, sign out your profile, and you will be unable sign back in. sorted simples.

Citations please.

Maybe you should check the league table, sport. (Handy hint: Hearts are bottom of the league with less points than anyone else)

Surely the irony of you calling anyone else a 'roaster' is not lost on yourself.

I know I've already humiliated you with this once before, but, what the hell:

Please stop quoting the poster known as Noel Edmonds! I have him on ignore for a reason, so I don't have to look at his awful posts - every time there's a quotation of his I accidentally read a few words and scrub some more braincells out of my head.

Mmm. So how's that been working out for you so far?

the forum was a better place without you for six weeks

change your password to a series of unrememberable letters and numbers, sign out your profile, and you will be unable sign back in. sorted simples.

Set up your own forum so you can talk to yourself

Fascist

I think the negatives are far out weighing the positives with Archie.

6 wins all season, not good enough

Very nieve tactical wise

Subs are terrible most of the time

To much favouritism towards players, ie...Taylor, Higgy and erskine, just because he signed them, doesn't mean they have to start every game.

A lot has been said about our squad, are they up to playing in the top league, but is Archie up to being a manager in the top league????

• Like 1

The manager is not immune from criticism and the criticism today is totally justified - bad tactics, poor subs. Yes the stats show 6 wins but how many of the other games could easily have been a win if it weren't for a players individual error or a spawny goal by the other team, a poor refereeing decision or a wasted chance. The management team will have learnt a lot in their debut top flight season and if we stay up, they will have been successful.

As one of those who was criticised before when I suggested that Archie may not be the man to take us forward I'd just like to add the obvious after today.

1 point from 12.

9 goals conceded in last 2 home games.

Tactics all wrong (again). Square pegs & round holes don't work. Didn't work in August & doesn't work now.

6 wins all season whereas Hearts made up of u21s & who have a transfer embargo have 7.

Substitutions all season have been predictable for majority in terms of time made & personnel used. Today however took the biscuit. Overrun for 20 mins & trying to hold out to HT but...

Why make the sub as soon as they score? WTF did he say to the team at HT? Why not change at HT? What changed in 3 minutes?

Then to top it all take off Higgy. I'm sorry but whatever happens the BoD have to act at end of season. He's out his depth.

Out thought by Gary Locke. Says it all.

Like Gerry Britton before him, folk have to separate Archie the player & Archie the manager.

The guy was a limited player but always gave 100% for the jersey. I have no reason to doubt he does the same as a manager but he just doesn't have it.

Ask yourself this, would our previous manager kept the current squad out of play off positions? As difficult as it is for me to admit this, the answer is almost certainly yes.

Yes, 1 point out of 12, but what you fail to point out is that 3 of those games were against teams who have a bigger playing budget, ad against teams who regularly finish in the top 6 and included Celtic. Interesting that you fail to mention the 3 games prior to those 4 where we took 7 points out of 9.

Yes, 1 point out of 12, but what you fail to point out is that 3 of those games were against teams who have a bigger playing budget, ad against teams who regularly finish in the top 6 and included Celtic. Interesting that you fail to mention the 3 games prior to those 4 where we took 7 points out of 9.

The Hibs game I personally thought we were fortunate. If they weren't so powderpuff up front then I think we could've seen today happening 3 weeks ago. Dools spent most of the first half in that game playing alongside, if not behind, Fraser & Bauben.

We got away with it that day but you could see after 25mins today it wasn't working & if it wasn't for Gallacher it'd have been 1-1 much sooner than was.

I know it's not an exact comparison but look at someone like Palace down South. Holloway got them up but way out his depth & didn't have budget to compete with established Premiership clubs.

Palace bit the bullet, brought in an experienced manager (unlike most of the other 'bigger' clubs around them) & look at the difference with the majority of team the same that played under Holloway.

Not comparing like for like, just saying that certain managers have 'levels'. Dick Campbell? & he had more money to spend than McCall & McNsmara put together prob yet was hopeless.

I think the negatives are far out weighing the positives with Archie.

6 wins all season, not good enough

Very nieve tactical wise

Subs are terrible most of the time

To much favouritism towards players, ie...Taylor, Higgy and erskine, just because he signed them, doesn't mean they have to start every game.

A lot has been said about our squad, are they up to playing in the top league, but is Archie up to being a manager in the top league????

The 3 players you've mentioned there are probably 3 of the best players at the club. Who would you have started instead if those 3? Craigen Elliot and lawless? Today was terrible all round, both from the management and the players but your point about him having "favouritism" towards those players is crazy. They start every game because they're the best we have, not because they're Archie's mates.

The manager is not immune from criticism and the criticism today is totally justified - bad tactics, poor subs. Yes the stats show 6 wins but how many of the other games could easily have been a win if it weren't for a players individual error or a spawny goal by the other team, a poor refereeing decision or a wasted chance. The management team will have learnt a lot in their debut top flight season and if we stay up, they will have been successful.

Every other team could say the same thing though. In terms of refereeing decisions, Ross County for example would be around 4-6 points better off had refereeing decisions not gone against them, and that's just going by their last 4 games alone. Whilst our players haven't exactly covered themselves in glory, I think most of our points dropped this season have been largely as a result of decisions from the dugout - we lined up today pretty much exactly as we did against Inverness, and going by what happened there I'm not sure what the logic was in that. I also still think there's a glaring deficiency in our midfield in terms of a personality who can sit deeper and win the ball/protect the defence, and this has been the case since Osbourne's injury in December. Going by Buaben's performances as a more attacking midfielder and Moncur having a grand total of ~15 minutes gametime since signing, it seems that this hasn't been addressed when it really ought to have been our biggest priority in January before any other signing. We're very inflexible in that we can't really field a side who can sit back and see out a result.

I don't think I've seen a Thistle team with more direction and ruthlessness than the one Archibald managed from January-May last season. The ideal scenario for me is that he keeps us up by any means this season and resigns shortly afterwards - that would cap an absolutely outstanding contribution to the club, both since rejoining as a player and since taking over from McNamara. From this season however, I don't see any evidence that he is learning as a manager, and I think we'd only be keeping him until we were in serious danger of returning to the second tier again. I think we have a group of very talented players who with the right manager and further additions could do very well in this league. We have a great chance of establishing ourselves as a top flight club for the first time in a generation, and, as much as I love Archibald, I'd hate to see us pass it up by being too loyal to him.

Every other team could say the same thing though. In terms of refereeing decisions, Ross County for example would be around 4-6 points better off had refereeing decisions not gone against them, and that's just going by their last 4 games alone. Whilst our players haven't exactly covered themselves in glory, I think most of our points dropped this season have been largely as a result of decisions from the dugout - we lined up today pretty much exactly as we did against Inverness, and going by what happened there I'm not sure what the logic was in that. I also still think there's a glaring deficiency in our midfield in terms of a personality who can sit deeper and win the ball/protect the defence, and this has been the case since Osbourne's injury in December. Going by Buaben's performances as a more attacking midfielder and Moncur having a grand total of ~15 minutes gametime since signing, it seems that this hasn't been addressed when it really ought to have been our biggest priority in January before any other signing. We're very inflexible in that we can't really field a side who can sit back and see out a result.

I don't think I've seen a Thistle team with more direction and ruthlessness than the one Archibald managed from January-May last season. The ideal scenario for me is that he keeps us up by any means this season and resigns shortly afterwards - that would cap an absolutely outstanding contribution to the club, both since rejoining as a player and since taking over from McNamara. From this season however, I don't see any evidence that he is learning as a manager, and I think we'd only be keeping him until we were in serious danger of returning to the second tier again. I think we have a group of very talented players who with the right manager and further additions could do very well in this league. We have a great chance of establishing ourselves as a top flight club for the first time in a generation, and, as much as I love Archibald, I'd hate to see us pass it up by being too loyal to him.

So, basically say " Thanks for taking us out of the wilderness of the lower leagues, and for keeping us in with the big boys, now **** OFF?"

Great way to demand loyalty.

• Like 1

So, basically say " Thanks for taking us out of the wilderness of the lower leagues, and for keeping us in with the big boys, now **** OFF?"

Yeah I think you're a bit too dim to grasp the supporting points I made in the post. No surprises there.

Some people don't understand that this is a business. If a manager can't cut it and his decisions are detrimental to the performance of the company then they need to go.

It works both ways. If Archie was a decent manager and another team wanted him he'd be off like a shot like McNamara was.

If you want loyalty buy a ******* dog.

• Like 1

Ridiculous statement. He finished off the work that McNamara got the team into.

& if he doesn't keep us in with the big boys... What then?

Ridiculous statement. He finished off the work that McNamara got the team into.

& if he doesn't keep us in with the big boys... What then?

Remember that Thistle couldn't buy an away win until Archibald took over and regards staying in the top league, that has to be seen yet.

Edited by Garscube Road End

Remember that Thistle couldn't buy an away win until Archibald took over and regards staying in the top league, that has to be seen yet.

Yeah but they were up against a Morton team. What happened to them? How good did they turn out to be?

You're right about McNamara but at the same time if Archibald was in charge at the start of the season it would've been very unlikely we would've had a lot of the boys that goes us there even at the club.

As much as it pains me to say it, it was McNamara's contacts that brought in a lot of them.

The Cup's right. Archie as a player did exactly the same as McNamara as a manager. Archie as a manager would do the same thing if he was a half decent manager. We all would.

But at the same time if we weren't doing well at a job, then a review may well see us lose our job.

Football a results driven business. I'm been unconvinced about Archie for a good while in terms of tactical awareness, the ability to change things during a match, his signings (more true in Summer than January) and integrating players into a system that doesn't bring the best out of them (Banzo up to Xmas). I also said I'd give him the season but after yesterday, if I were Beattie & co I'd be looking for answers as to why he left it until we were 2-1 down minutes after HT before making a change.

Said it before...

WTF did he say to the players at HT?

If he was so confident in that team with that system then why change it 3mins into second half?

Why make a change then to take off one of our most creative players when arguably Bauben should've been on & possibly Taylor off just before HT?

Why take Erskine off after an hour (again) to put on Lawless? If Erskine not fit enough to play 90mins why did he not come off in 48minutes?

Someone....?

• Like 1