Archie Must Go ?

javeajag

I have always being a defender of Archie, however results like today would put pressure on any manager. I know it sounds corny, but I don't think we were totally outplayed today.

So we didn't get outplayed by the team sitting 2nd in the league, but Archie is under pressure anyway.

Mah heid's buzzled.

I'm not calling for Archie's head yet, lets make that clear. But I'm not going to jump down the throat of anyone who suggests a change is needed, because at the moment it looks like it does.

Archie is still a very young manager learning his trade. He's been in the game for less than a year lets not forget, and it will always be a baptism of fire trying to survive as the newly promoted team in your first full season in the job. BUT, I don't feel Archie is mastering the learning curve quickly enough. He sets up the team too predictably, he uses the same subs week in week out, and he says all the right things without it materialising on the pitch. The form says it all really.

I'd give him to the end of the season at the minimum. I honestly believe we are chronically underachieving. Say what you will about this being a consolidation season, but I have too much respect for the players to believe the best this team can achieve is 10th place. We should be competing mid-table. That means, in my opinion, something is wrong management wise.

Archie deserves to the end of the season, and I still think he can buy well in January and freshen things up. But I'm fed up with all his well intended statements in the press about how we need to learn from mistakes, yet it never actually happens.

It looks like the guy if clueless at times as a manager. He takes the best thistle player on the park off after 60 min..wit the **** is that all about. We never seem to concentrate on the opposing teams main men, we are not good enough to simply play our game against every team. They seem to counter our main threats every week. He is naive if he thinks we can go gung-ho in every game in this league.

As for the "who would we get" as manager, get real there are lots of young guys like Hartley who would do a better job than our current manager. I loved the guy as a player and last year it looked like he would be a really good manager, but he is just not cutting it in this league. If managers can come and watch us and recognise our dangers and counteract them, why can't he do the same..simple!

• Like 1

Archie has got this team playing a great style of football. It's just that there are very few of them good enough to carry it off. So he either gets in some players who can play at this level or he needs to change things. I can't see how he would be able to change the style of football and not still keep on losing so what IS the answer.

Sacking Archie IMO is not it!

Today was rotten. We're on a poor run. However. we were always going to be battling to avoid the play off spot - and that is exactly what we are doing. Motherwell are a very good team (although we made it easy) and a point would have been a bonus today, even at home. Boxing Day against Caley was solid defensively, so basically we're inconsistent. It was hard to predict that Piccolo, who has been getting almost universally praised, would put on his clown shoes rather than football boots today.

Calling for the manager's head now is knee-jerk, premature and, basically, stupid. If we stay ahead of Ross Co this season then job done.

The fickle mindset of the Scottish football fan being outed on this thread just now.

He might not be the man for the job and everyone will have a favourite who should be but to a man last season he was the only option folk wanted.

I'm not a Thistle fan but do want Thistle to do well but it's reality check time now and surely he should be given the chance to keep Thistle in the top league as that is surely what he has to be judged on.

The board will need to give him some cash to strengthen a squad that's light in numbers and quality but folk must give him the rest of the season and back him in his efforts keeping Thistle in the top flight.

Now is not the time for folk to not back the club and panic when it's at this time the club will need the full support of everyone.

I personally don't see Hearts turning things round and i think Thistle will stay in front of Ross County so the season can still go well.

What did folk think it would be like?

A walk in the park?

This is a long hard season and Thistle have played some good football and been unlucky at times but it's only the halfway stage.

Maybe a Plan B is needed reagarding style of play but i still admire Thistle greatly for having the balls to play attacking football in a league that serves up negative dross on a weekly basis.

Back him and back his style of football and maybe point your frustration at the board more to free up some funds to get more quality into his squad for him to work with.

• Like 14

Given some of the previous ludicrous posts I've read on this forum it doesn't come as a surprise after the score line today to see this thread on here. The usual suspects offering the same negative dross & calling for the managers head.

From where I was sitting we were undone by a clinical team that took great advantage of basic individual errors, not sure what any manager could do to cut them out other than bring in better more experienced players. Is there money in the budget to do that? I doubt it.

Hopefully the calm heads remain the majority and don't get caught up in this rubbish the team and manager need our support to achieve the seasons goal which is survival preferably by avoiding the play offs to allow us to build a sustained premiership club through time.

Certainly not comparing Archie to Lambie however we took our fair share of doings during his time in the top division, not many questioned his position at the time.

• Like 1

The fickle mindset of the Scottish football fan being outed on this thread just now.

He might not be the man for the job and everyone will have a favourite who should be but to a man last season he was the only option folk wanted.

I'm not a Thistle fan but do want Thistle to do well but it's reality check time now and surely he should be given the chance to keep Thistle in the top league as that is surely what he has to be judged on.

The board will need to give him some cash to strengthen a squad that's light in numbers and quality but folk must give him the rest of the season and back him in his efforts keeping Thistle in the top flight.

Now is not the time for folk to not back the club and panic when it's at this time the club will need the full support of everyone.

I personally don't see Hearts turning things round and i think Thistle will stay in front of Ross County so the season can still go well.

What did folk think it would be like?

A walk in the park?

This is a long hard season and Thistle have played some good football and been unlucky at times but it's only the halfway stage.

Maybe a Plan B is needed reagarding style of play but i still admire Thistle greatly for having the balls to play attacking football in a league that serves up negative dross on a weekly basis.

Back him and back his style of football and maybe point your frustration at the board more to free up some funds to get more quality into his squad for him to work with.

Good post! It was always going to be a long hard slog! And you are right, we are still playing good football. He has to be given until the end of the season, even if it means we go down!

Given some of the previous ludicrous posts I've read on this forum it doesn't come as a surprise after the score line today to see this thread on here. The usual suspects offering the same negative dross & calling for the managers head.

From where I was sitting we were undone by a clinical team that took great advantage of basic individual errors, not sure what any manager could do to cut them out other than bring in better more experienced players. Is there money in the budget to do that? I doubt it.

Hopefully the calm heads remain the majority and don't get caught up in this rubbish the team and manager need our support to achieve the seasons goal which is survival preferably by avoiding the play offs to allow us to build a sustained premiership club through time.

Certainly not comparing Archie to Lambie however we took our fair share of doings during his time in the top division, not many questioned his position at the time.

Excellent post .

The management team are struggling - its clear they need help. So they should be sitting down with the chairman having that discussion. No disgrace in putting your hands up and admitting you're finding it difficult and need some help. So the chairman should be inviting them in for a chat about that and if they need an experienced head to come in and help out on a consultancy basis, then so be it.

ANd come January, no signings such as Kerr or Baird please.

IMO, talk of sacking them is ridiculous but each to their own opinion.

An 'experienced head' would be a thing of embarrassment for the management team, which isn't something they deserve after last season's contribution. I personally believe we should look for an alternative manager now with Craig Levein being my ideal choice, but it needs to be one or the other between keeping Archibald or replacing him. If he can't do it on his own, he won't be able to do it at all.

I think we need a new manager to come in and look objectively at a team who it's clear Archibald has his favourites in. That players like Elliott and Craigen are starting every week is bizarre, and these constantly unchanged team selections are something that is holding us back. We need someone unfazed by loyalty to the players who won us the league last season in order to cut out the deadwood who aren't up to this league, and replace them with those who are. Like I said, top of my wishlist is Levein who has experience of doing exactly this, and moreover has previous for turning a bog standard relegation candidate like ~2006 Dundee United into top six regulars. I'd love to see us move hell on earth to get him, but have a bad feeling the board and a large section of the fanbase will stick with Archibald no matter what through sheer loyalty, which could be very harmful to the club's medium-long term future and our hopes of top flight longevity.

An 'experienced head' would be a thing of embarrassment for the management team, which isn't something they deserve after last season's contribution. I personally believe we should look for an alternative manager now with Craig Levein being my ideal choice, but it needs to be one or the other between keeping Archibald or replacing him. If he can't do it on his own, he won't be able to do it at all.

I think we need a new manager to come in and look objectively at a team who it's clear Archibald has his favourites in. That players like Elliott and Craigen are starting every week is bizarre, and these constantly unchanged team selections are something that is holding us back. We need someone unfazed by loyalty to the players who won us the league last season in order to cut out the deadwood who aren't up to this league, and replace them with those who are. Like I said, top of my wishlist is Levein who has experience of doing exactly this, and moreover has previous for turning a bog standard relegation candidate like ~2006 Dundee United into top six regulars. I'd love to see us move hell on earth to get him, but have a bad feeling the board and a large section of the fanbase will stick with Archibald no matter what through sheer loyalty, which could be very harmful to the club's medium-long term future and our hopes of top flight longevity.

*cringe*

I dont see Archie being sacked but if we dont get at least 6 points from the 4 upcoming games after the Celtic game he is gonna be under mounting pressure. Personally out of the 3 festive games I would have settled for 3 points and we should have got them in the ICT game

My own view is that it is time for the Board to step up and communicate with fans.

The big difference between last season and this is that the communication this season has been piss-poor. What happened to TAG? Why no DVD of last season for fans to keep as a momento. We are not asking for chasing rainbows, but we do need to know what they believe are the short and long term objectives.

The Board need to publically say that funds will be available to add to the team. We need some steel at the back and midfield.

We also need to sort out Scouting and Training facilities to encourage players to come to us.

January will be a very important month for us, and will determine which way we are heading.

Time for the Board to speak.

• Like 1

Who would you, or levein for that matter, have chosen to start in place of craigen and Elliot? Our season won't be determined on results against motherwell (who were the 2nd best team in the country last season) but results against the other teams around us in the league I.e hearts - who we drew against. Ross county - pumped them away. St mirren - 1 win apiece. And kille - a draw and a narrow, undeserved defeat. These are the teams we need to finish above and so far I still haven't seen anything from most of them that says they will run away from us. So lets wait till the end of the season before calling for Archie to be replaced with someone like levein. Who in any case would be a terrible appointment IMO. The style of football we are playing at firhill the last 2 seasons is something, as a fairly young thistle fan, I have not seen in the 15 years I have been going, and would hate us to throw it all away by pressing the panic button too soon!

• Like 3

Calm down. We'll finish 10th.

Baird, Kerr and it hurts me to say, Forbes need to be shipped out in January to get some urgently needed new blood in. Thought Forbes would step up this season, but even though he hasnt had many opportunities, when he has came on he looks like a guy that is in a huff because he aint getting picked....he just doesnt look interested

• Like 3

I think there a few players we need to punt and we need 3-4 quality players in January starting with a centre back and an experienced goalscorer. That's obvious.

Between that and the Hearts and Ross County games, Archie has 3 weeks to prove he has what it takes at this level.

Fox has been terrific but we really lacked experience out there and I think Gallacher would organise things better during this tough spell.