Enough Is Enough

Jagman1876

Anyone else think that relegation would be more of a disappointment that a disaster, for a club that has been at First Division level for most of the last 30 years?

The way I see it, starting today, we have a great opportunity to push on this year and secure another season in this SPFL adventure. If it doesn't work out, we have another chance through the play-off. If we lose that we go back to where we've been, more financially secure, with a good squad in place (most are contracted through next season) and in a far more interesting "Championship", with play-off places available, cash distribution and big games against Hearts and their young Glaswegian cousins.

We should be enjoying this more. The players and manager earned this place in the top flight, it wasn't handed to them on a plate, and there's far too much fear and blame being thrown around.

• Like 2

I obviously don't see all of Thistle's games but playing at home and trying to get that first home win is not being helped by the pressure coming from the stands at times.

SOD had some bad moments but the fans seem to have had enough and are ready to pounce at any mistake he makes and this goes through to the other players

The style of football Thistle play is all about confidence and players expressing themselves when on the ball rather than booting it just anywhere when they get it.

The punt it up into an area just hoping to get a break of the ball is for me not how Thistle should be playing and although folk are getting annoyed this type football is not the answer.

The system played means your front man needs to be very good at holding the ball up and bring the wide players and other central attacking midfielders into play but for some reason and it might be tiredness from the weekend Taylor wasn't at his best doing this.

The midfield could maybe have played a little closer to him but St Johnstone set themselves up to counter attack and it worked.well for them.

I still think the lack of dig in the centre of midfield is an issue and don't think Thistle have anybody available to make this better but they do have a good players further up the pitch that will cause any team problems.

Away from home Thistle will not have as much pressure coming from the crowd and can maybe play a little more relaxed and this is when players will get on the ball and use it better.

The crowd need to stick with them and hopefully things turn around soon.

• Like 2

Anyone else think that relegation would be more of a disappointment that a disaster, for a club that has been at First Division level for most of the last 30 years? The way I see it, starting today, we have a great opportunity to push on this year and secure another season in this SPFL adventure.

Absolutely. As long as I've been alive, the Jags have mainly been a 1st Division club.

We have strengthened the team this month, will hopefully see 1 or 2 key players step back in....there's still quite a way to go.

I am 110% behind Archie. I know he will turn it round.

We've got a young team and we've not got strength-in-depth. Given what he has to work with, I think he's doing a great job.

One or two games excepted (last night, M'Well, Aberdeen) we've been more than matching our opposition. We played Celtic off their own park 3 weeks ago...!!!! Anyone remember that ???

No need for panic people. Archie will continue to deliver.

Few thoughts.

We have a management team who stand in the touch line impassively.

Example- Ross Co. Team getting deeper & deeper. No one shouting on touch line about moving up. Ditto Kilmarnock.

We have a management team who are indecisive.

Example- The length of time it took to make the subs against Ross Co when evident that we'd lost midfield.

We have a management team that have no idea how to change a match after game has kicked off.

Example- Ross Co 2nd half, Kille 2nd half, St J whole game.

We have a management team who have no plan B.

Example- Whole season we've been playing 4-2-3-1. We've had our fair share of injuries & suspensions which has depleted our squad but the management team still persist in the system. Muirhead & Craigen aren't holding midfielders. With Higgy, Erskine & Lawless behind Taylor last night we had 4 out & out attackers last night which left us short in midfield. They were so far on top 1st half it was embarrassing. We persist with our system up to last. Even Doolan not right up top when coming on.

I get that Archie learning the job but it pains me to say it, he is out his depth.

If we finish 11th it's not a disaster but if we lose the play off....

There are managers out there who'd jump at managing PTFC in SPFL & I don't mean Hartley.

As an aside I heard a whisper of one more in... Defender. Anyone?

I hate to bring it up again but set pieces... Jesus

We have no one that attacks the ball. Every corner or free kick last night was won by a saints player who had another saints player right beside him and no jags player within 2 yards. I know we scored from one at hearts but 1 a season is pretty poor. Don't even get excited when we get a corner anymore

Before I'm accused of being too easily pleased, but as badly as we played in the first 35 minutes, we played well for the remainder of the game. I'll be the first to say that overall we've frankly not been good enough to make a huge impression on this league. Nonetheless, over the piece, despite the lack of home victories, I've enjoyed watching Thistle this year. Bar the games against United and Aberdeen and the shambles against Motherwell we've certainly not been out of our depth and usually the quality of our football has been a joy to behold. Ask yourself this, what did we expect even a year ago? I remain confident that even if we have to go to a play-off we'll remain in the top flight. The bottom line, then if we go down it'll simply because we're not good enough and don't deserve to stay up.

• Like 1

Football is not governed by economic determinism or else Motherwell should always be below Aberdeen, Hibs and Dundee Urd .... It's a very easy kop out

We all thought 10th was our objective but this is now looking more difficult

The Board won't sack Archie so they should bring in someone to help him like Fulham have done with Ray Wilkins

Not long after which, they got horsed 4-1 at home by Sunderland. I'm open to the concept should Archie want to go down that route and it was free advice, but rather than a have a wage eaten up by an advisor, I think we need a midfielder who can take on the role that we would be looking Welsh/Osbourne to fill were they available.

Interesting article on stv page about spfl stats

http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/partick-thistle/260626-half-term-stats-report-how-lyle-taylor-can-change-partick-thistles-season/

Average possession: 50.38% (4th overall)

Shooting accuracy: 46.04% (3rd overall)

Shot conversion: 9.61% (11th overall)

We need to practise our shooting by the look of it.

I'll try be short about this.

I feel for Alan Archibald. I think he's - at the very least - a good manager.

We have been unlucky multiple times this season. I've never known a campaign like it in that we play so well sometimes and come away with a point or nothing.

Sometimes this is just down to plain bad luck, sometimes down to Archie's inexperience as a manager and maybe making the wrong calls.

I don't like the excuse of injuries, as you have a squad for a reason, but yesterday it's a legitimate one when you combine it with suspensions. Osbourne, Welsh and Bannigan all missing from the midfield.

I also think, by and large, he's been good in the transfer market. Kerr and Baird aren't good enough but two wrong signings in a dozen or so is a better record than most managers.

We are 11th though which is a concern. The longer this run goes on, the more pressure Archie will fall under. I don't want to see him get the sack, but I can see why others have had enough. I just personally don't think the blame lies with him, at least not enough to make him face the chop.

I'd give him the rest of this season and next at the bare minimum. But that's just me and you're entitled to you're opinion if you think differently.

• Like 8

I'll try be short about this.

I feel for Alan Archibald. I think he's - at the very least - a good manager.

We have been unlucky multiple times this season. I've never known a campaign like it in that we play so well sometimes and come away with a point or nothing.

Sometimes this is just down to plain bad luck, sometimes down to Archie's inexperience as a manager and maybe making the wrong calls.

I don't like the excuse of injuries, as you have a squad for a reason, but yesterday it's a legitimate one when you combine it with suspensions. Osbourne, Welsh and Bannigan all missing from the midfield.

I also think, by and large, he's been good in the transfer market. Kerr and Baird aren't good enough but two wrong signings in a dozen or so is a better record than most managers.

We are 11th though which is a concern. The longer this run goes on, the more pressure Archie will fall under. I don't want to see him get the sack, but I can see why others have had enough. I just personally don't think the blame lies with him, at least not enough to make him face the chop.

I'd give him the rest of this season and next at the bare minimum. But that's just me and you're entitled to you're opinion if you think differently.

Amazing how you come to that conclusion after a handful off games? Are these two not allowed a handful off bad games because we have plenty in the team that has a handful off bad games ie FOX

Edited by thistlenowthistleforever

Amazing how you come to that conclusion after a handful off games? Are these two not allowed a handful off bad games because we have plenty in the team that has a handful off bad games ie FOX

I'm not just talking about performances. Kerr's a wrong signing. That's not an opinion, it's a fact, I can say that confidently because he's not featuring at all in our team - even with Welsh, Bannigan and Osbourne out. Instead he went for Craigen in defensive midfield. Kerr wasn't even on the bench. So, is that a correct signing? Obviously not.

Baird hasn't performed, and again isn't making our bench. I actually thought he was okay at the start of the season coming off the bench but my point is that Archie has recognised he's not a part of his plans and so - as things stand - that's a wrong signing.

What was the average age of the team last night?

In fact what is the average age of the St Mirren team?

It would be good to know if we're going up against a team of seasoned pros of 24 or 25.

Gallagher - 34 (Normal Fox 26)

O'donnell - 21

McMillan -25 (Normal ATS 22)

Craigan - 22

Mair - 33 (recently Muirhead 23)

Balatoni -22

Lawless - 22

Fraser - 19

Taylor - 22

Higginbotham - 24

Erskine - 26 (Banzo 21)

Average age 24.5 (Normal squad 22)

St Mirren 25.5

Kilmarnock 24 (including a 17 year old striker)

The difference is that Killie and St Mirren have the experienced heads in the critical positions, CM, CD, CF....... the spine of the team

I don't see how going down would be a disaster. We are at best a yo-yo Premiership / Championship club.

We're getting off with automatic relegation because of Hearts but we'll be back in the Championship at some point soon. Maybe the year after next.

If we go down in the playoff it won't be a total disaster. We won't go back up automatically but we will be in the top 4 and get another chance.

This season has been almost the polar opposite of last season. I'm looking forward to it finishing wherever we end up.

If we finish 11th Archie deserves to the end of next season to see if he can get us back up.